5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What to Expect with 22” Wheels?

Ben1500GT

Reaction score
I ordered a ‘22 Laramie with Night Edition and the 22” wheels look awesome, but I’ve got to wonder if the ride is going to be poor with this setup. I haven’t driven one with this setup personally yet so looking for some feedback. Also I’ve heard the tires that come on these don’t last very long?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cajun_

Reaction score
I ordered a ‘22 Laramie with Night Edition and the 22” wheels look awesome, but I’ve got to wonder if the ride is going to be poor with this setup. I haven’t driven one with this setup personally yet so looking for some feedback. Also I’ve heard the tires that come on these don’t last very long?

It's not too bad and they are quiet.

rubrduk

Reaction score

you are going to notice nearly no difference between 22's on a street truck and 20"s in ride quality

Hemidakota

Reaction score
Gotta say it's not like driving a Lincoln. I think it's bumpy because there's not enough sidewalk to really soak up those road bumps. I'm definitely cautious around any curbs because I don't want to scrape the wheels. I will be going to 305/45 once these tires need to be replaced though. Go ahead and order some black lug nuts as well. You will thank me later. IMG_20210918_091354053_HDR.jpg

Runagun

Reaction score
If you got the air suspension, you'll be rolling on a cloud. You won't even realize they're 22's

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Reaction score
I don't believe any stock 5th gen has a poor ride. Mine is smooth with the 22's, although I'll probably downsize to 20's when I eventually get new wheels/tires... for better selection.

Yes, the OEM tires suck.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
All of what I’m mentioning is just a subjective opinion, so keep that in mind.

Before I bought my Laramie (with 20’s), I did 2, 24hr test drives with a used laramie and used limited (both had 22’s).

The limited rode the best, just like previously mentioned.

The laramie with 22s had a negligible difference to the 20s. If I had to nitpick, I would say it’s slightly rougher over small bumps because of the difference in sidewall size.

Ben1500GT

Reaction score
Awesome! Glad to hear it’s a very little if any difference. I didn’t go with the air suspension so it’ll just be the stock struts and springs. It’s definitely a street truck and looks were of top priority for me on the build, but this will also be my main vehicle for winter in the Midwest.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome! Glad to hear it’s a very little if any difference. I didn’t go with the air suspension so it’ll just be the stock struts and springs. It’s definitely a street truck and looks were of top priority for me on the build, but this will also be my main vehicle for winter in the Midwest.

Opinion again, but aside from the cost saving, the less dense tires that wear faster provide a slightly smoother ride than if you replaced them with the same retail tire. Just something else to be aware of.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

The stock Goodyear's are crap in winter conditions. You'll probably want to replace the tires before the snow flies (if it hasn't already). Unless you are already planning on buying winter tires and do the seasonal change over thing.

BNeal

Reaction score
The 22's have been no problem for me in terms of ride - rides like a luxury car. But, yea - they wear out fast. I'm at 15k and will be lucky to make it to 25k on these tires.

Ben1500GT

Reaction score
The stock Goodyear's are crap in winter conditions. You'll probably want to replace the tires before the snow flies (if it hasn't already). Unless you are already planning on buying winter tires and do the seasonal change over thing.

I’ve been doing the seasonal changeover thing on my current vehicle and would like to get away from that with this truck…hoping to have something that works well in all seasons.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been doing the seasonal changeover thing on my current vehicle and would like to get away from that with this truck…hoping to have something that works well in all seasons.

Just make sure any tire you consider has the 3PMSF symbol and you'll be good. Unlike the nearly meaningless M + S rating, the 3PMSF rating is something that can only be put on a tire that meets certified testing. Here's some light reading if you're not familiar with what this is.

Dogboyslim

Reaction score
I tested two trucks identical except color and wheels. One had 22, the other had 20s. I could not tell the difference in driving them back to back. I got the truck with the 20s. I then got a set of 18" rims so I could have more sidewall. I don't like feeling like I have to be so cautious around curbs. Its a GD truck for goodness sake! I now have sidewall taller than most curbs. So for me, it all comes down to not wanting to worry about curb rash. I can't tell the difference in ride quality at all.

Cajun_

Reaction score
I tested two trucks identical except color and wheels. One had 22, the other had 20s. I could not tell the difference in driving them back to back. I got the truck with the 20s. I then got a set of 18" rims so I could have more sidewall. I don't like feeling like I have to be so cautious around curbs. Its a GD truck for goodness sake! I now have sidewall taller than most curbs. So for me, it all comes down to not wanting to worry about curb rash. I can't tell the difference in ride quality at all.
my one fear with my 22's. if it was a 4x4 I would get a lift kit that works with the air suspension and put some bigger tires on her.

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
My biggest concern is curbing the rims as well. I can't wait until the factory skins wear out so I can replace them with a leveling kit and some 35x12.50s.

Olive Green 5.7

Reaction score
Coming from a person that purchased the truck with stock 20's and switched to stock 22"s about 10k miles into ownership. Is the ride bumpier, yes. Does it ride a little rougher, yes. Do I regret it, absolutely no. I love the 22" factory wheels and couldn't sell my 20's quick enough.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think you can expect crowds to appear on city streets singing "Hey, ho, hey, ho" and people to appear out of nowhere with big gold chains putting down beats and rapping. At least that's what I've always seen on TV :D Pretty soon you'll transition from the top pic to the bottom pic!
1634239378635.png
1634239405422.png
1634239620720.png

Last edited:

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Opinion again, but aside from the cost saving, the less dense tires that wear faster provide a slightly smoother ride than if you replaced them with the same retail tire. Just something else to be aware of.

Not true, I just replaced my worn out Goodyear's with Pirelli Scorpion AS+3's and the ride quality, IMO, actually increased.
Steering is a touch quicker as well. The Goodyear's aren't less dense, just a softer rubber, 300 treadwear. IDK why they put a 300 tw tire on a truck, that's a sports car tire

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/