5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What to do with a factory screw up.

Cudapower

Reaction score
I ordered and recieved a truck about 10 months ago. I ordered it with a limited slip rear end. I have noticed a couple of times in the snow that one tire spins but 4 wheel drive gets me going. I decided to rotate my tires myself this time. So when it was jacked up I noticed that the rear tires turned opposite directions (open rear end). So I jacked up one tire and I can turn that tire. I obviously have an open rear end. I paid the $495 bucks on the window sticker for limited slip (not locker). Im going to the dealer tomorrow but dont know what to expect. Anyone have this problem or the wrong gear ratio situation? What did the dealer do about it? I don't want them to install a limited slip and mess my gear set up so it is noisey.

RamRebel19

Reaction score
My guess is they will either try and give you a credit amount to use towards service/optional equipment or they will offer to install the proper LSD/Gears that you paid for. I'm interested to hear what route they go. Keep us updated as I'd like to know the outcome here.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
I ordered and recieved a truck about 10 months ago. I ordered it with a limited slip rear end. I have noticed a couple of times in the snow that one tire spins but 4 wheel drive gets me going. I decided to rotate my tires myself this time. So when it was jacked up I noticed that the rear tires turned opposite directions (open rear end). So I jacked up one tire and I can turn that tire. I obviously have an open rear end. I paid the $495 bucks on the window sticker for limited slip (not locker). Im going to the dealer tomorrow but dont know what to expect. Anyone have this problem or the wrong gear ratio situation? What did the dealer do about it? I don't want them to install a limited slip and mess my gear set up so it is noisey.

That would be my exact worry. I would insist they fix it, but that they get a complete rear axle assembly to put in, instead of doing a gear and carrier swap. It's a big job to change the carrier and gears, and requires a skilled technician who is experienced in doing this exact job. The wrong backlash, shimming of the carrier, along with a whole host of things, can make for noise, premature wear, or improper function.

Users who are viewing this thread