5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What to buy: bed rug or rubber bed mat?

bskubon

Reaction score
I have the Duraliner over my sprayed in bed liner - has thick rubber mat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a Bed Rug Classic in mine on top of the spray in liner, love it and wouldn't use anything else. 3rd Bedrug in 2 trucks, seem to last about 12-13 years 20201004_181604.jpg

20201004_160036.jpg

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
Has anyone found a bed mat that fits Rambox trucks? I've looked at Husky, Bedrug, and a few others, all with no luck.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Has anyone found a bed mat that fits Rambox trucks? I've looked at Husky, Bedrug, and a few others, all with no luck.
I thought thst I've read that the Gen4 rambox bedrug fits the gen 5 perfectly

Here

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have the factory spray-in liner, but it is scraping up my stuff.

I don’t carry heavy duty stuff like rocks or lumber. Most common things in the truck bed is luggage, inflatable paddle board, and my bike.

What do you guys recommend for my needs: bed rug or bed mat?

Thank you!
I had a rubber mat in a truck for a long time, I loved it, you’ll never have anything sliding around!

jessed1

Reaction score
I just purchased a new XLT Bedrug (covers the bed, tailgate and tailgate gap) from Bedrug.com last night for $182.70. Not as inexpensive as we got the Huskyliner version last October but decided not to wait.

In the family, we’ve had three Bedrugs and all have outperformed our expectations. This will be the fourth and we expect it to perform as well.

All you need is a pressure washer and a little Dawn dish detergent to get out any gas, oil, sand or dirt.

I have been looking at the Bedrug XLT vs the Bedrug Mat and Tailgate. I am trying to decide if I want the tailgate portion attached to the bed portion. Undecided.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have been looking at the Bedrug XLT vs the Bedrug Mat and Tailgate. I am trying to decide if I want the tailgate portion attached to the bed portion. Undecided.
Here is mine installed Saturday in about fifteen minutes…and as dry as a bone in the back with the Undercover Elite LX. Added the extra Volkswagen cargo blocks (which have Velcro on the bottom) from my wife’s VW and it holds my container securely to the Bedrug. Also know as Volkswagen CarGo Management System and very works well on Bedrug.

Attachments

• D84614D0-88C6-4677-A271-6DDFAA514405.jpeg
    D84614D0-88C6-4677-A271-6DDFAA514405.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

mmcbeat

Reaction score
I’ve had Dee Zee bedmats in my last three trucks. Prefect for my needs, I don’t do ant heavy hauling and they keep items from sliding around while protecting the bed. I got the right model number from the Dee Zee sight then ordered from Amazon.

bebrown1075

Reaction score
I have a 4th gen bedrug in my Rambox truck over the spray in liner. Works perfectly. You just have to get the extra install kit that replaces the tailgate velcro with the heavier interlock.

Attachments

• IMG_20210829_175730_285.jpg
    IMG_20210829_175730_285.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 33

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
I have a 4th gen bedrug in my Rambox truck over the spray in liner. Works perfectly. You just have to get the extra install kit that replaces the tailgate velcro with the heavier interlock.
Right, I'm referring to a mat, not a Bedrug. As far as I can tell, none of the manufacturers make a mat that fits a Ramboxed truck, either 5th or 4th gen.

bebrown1075

Reaction score
Right, I'm referring to a mat, not a Bedrug. As far as I can tell, none of the manufacturers make a mat that fits a Ramboxed truck, either 5th or 4th gen.

Sorry about that...looks like they make a traditional mat for the classic trucks and tailgate mat.

Try this...

Should also fit the 5th gen. I would think if it is like my full bed rug.

dannymcd

Reaction score
You can't go wrong with either one but the bed rug is better imo because you can comfortably lay on it, an sliding things in is easier. I occasionally take my great danes for a ride and it's much safer for them as well

KonaLaury

Reaction score
I agree, the Bedrug is awesome. I had one in my previous truck for 14 years. For a work truck I might consider a different approach but for my normal use it was fine. I even carried a couple of loads of gravel (but I did put a tarp down before loading the gravel).

Attachments

• Bedrug - Cargo Rail.jpg
    Bedrug - Cargo Rail.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Bedrug - Full View.jpg
    Bedrug - Full View.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 34

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Personally, I love my bed rug! I can get him there on my knees and crawl around when I need to load stuff up in there. I’m not one to carry rocks and things like that so I didn’t need the bedliner. That’s just my personal opinion of what I bought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This.

I added a Bed Rug (just for the floor). It's held on by two velcro strips, so it can removed easily if I want to toss rocks or mulch into the bed.

Why = I = chose it:
1. Soft on the knees. (You only have to crawl into the bed once to understand this...)
2. Removable. (Sometimes you don't want it in there.) It literally just pulls up. (Roll it up and strap it to my crossbars.)
3. It is about an 1" thick so any water that gets into my bed (Retrax cover, so it's rare), stays UNDER whatever is in the bed (soft luggage, wood, etc.).
4. It has a great texture so most objects just stay put wherever I put them in the bed.

I have no experience with a rubber bed mat, so I don't know how they'd compare to my choices.

Here's a pic, with a heavy load of lumber. ;)

bedrug.jpg

jefferyrw

Reaction score
This.

I added a Bed Rug (just for the floor). It's held on by two velcro strips, so it can removed easily if I want to toss rocks or mulch into the bed.

Why = I = chose it:
1. Soft on the knees. (You only have to crawl into the bed once to understand this...)
2. Removable. (Sometimes you don't want it in there.) It literally just pulls up. (Roll it up and strap it to my crossbars.)
3. It is about an 1" thick so any water that gets into my bed (Retrax cover, so it's rare), stays UNDER whatever is in the bed (soft luggage, wood, etc.).
4. It has a great texture so most objects just stay put wherever I put them in the bed.

I have no experience with a rubber bed mat, so I don't know how they'd compare to my choices.

Here's a pic, with a heavy load of lumber. ;)

View attachment 104842
I have a similar BedRug only mine does have the integral cover for the tailgate (I don't have the MFT). This is my second BedRug (the first was a full BedRug in my 2008 Ram) and I am sold on them. I absolutely agree with all of @c3k comments.

jastevenson

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on whether sand will be an issue with the BedRug?

Quite a bit of sand gets in my truck bed at the beach, and with my current bedliner, it basically creates sandpaper that scratches up stuff in the bed.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on whether sand will be an issue with the BedRug?

Quite a bit of sand gets in my truck bed at the beach, and with my current bedliner, it basically creates sandpaper that scratches up stuff in the bed.
We get sand in the Laramie’s Bed Rug that goes to the beach down by Matagorda Bay and it just pressure washes out without an issue. The same with lawnmower clipping that get ground into it when I haul the mower. And Dawn washes any spilled gas or oil out of it like it was never there.

With that said, it also has a sprayed in bed liner this no scratching of paint due to sand caught between Red Rug and the bed.

Last edited:
Reactions: c3k

Users who are viewing this thread