5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What the heck is this?!?!

pber1

Reaction score

W9MCP

Reaction score
It’s an SWDS Swat3e tracker. Google has plenty of info. It’s not the factory/Mopar track option, either.

Guess they want to be able to repo your truck easier...

djwdjw

Reaction score
It is another kind of dealer-installed "theft recovery system" gps tracker. Anyone tracking it? It pushes data (location at a minimum) up to somewhere over cellular. Why? Who knows.

Did you finance it with the dealer?

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8602761-Strange-Beeping-on-Start-Up

https://www.f150forum.com/f2/found-gps-tracker-used-f150-366228/

https://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/...discussion/21458-audible-siren-warning-4.html

https://fccid.io/2AB8D-0100/User-Manual/Users-Manual-2345122

http://www.swds.net/swat-gps-vehicle-tracking

Did you find this on a new truck? Were there any local dealer add-ons on the sticker like this below?

I'm always puzzled by the fact that the Uconnect system can provide location information why does the dealership need to install their own secret system.

IMG_1187.jpg

Last edited:

pber1

Reaction score
I bought it out cash so I don’t see why the dealer would need to know where the truck is at. Dude this has me trippin I’m gonna disconnect it and call the dealer first thing tomorrow morning! Sketchy asF and I was never told about it I don’t even know how to track it if it gets stolen.
Good thing I didnt wait to calibrate my speedometer!
BB9C50C8-9E13-459A-B380-A527E4FAD591.jpeg C7C0F17D-DEF0-4BFE-8767-6725C8F5CBE8.jpeg

Last edited:

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you work in the White House? Maybe Vlad Putin wants to keep track of you. Sorry....just have a goofball sense of humor. It does make you wonder what its all about. :censored: Must be to show your current location on navigation screen would be my wild a** guess

pber1

Reaction score
Do you work in the White House? Maybe Vlad Putin wants to keep track of you. Sorry....just have a goofball sense of humor. It does make you wonder what its all about. :censored: Must be to show your current location on navigation screen would be my wild a** guess
It’s one of them Russian probes man! Lmfao I’m gonna the dealership tomorrow and get the info so I can sign in to the tracking app! Check out the video!

surfingcrna

Reaction score
Totally agree I’m gonna call the first think in the morning and chew them out. Not cool!!!
Would be nice to know what it actually is used for versus all the speculation. I've actually been surprised with all the knowledgeable people in this forum that no one has said, that I've seen, what it is and does in this truck for certain.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Would be nice to know what it actually is used for versus all the speculation. I've actually been surprised with all the knowledgeable people in this forum that no one has said, that I've seen, what it is and does in this truck for certain.

Most of this speculation is in jest, but this answer has already been provided by @W9MCP above... search a bit, there have been reports for sometime of dealers who install tracking devices (and even disabling devices) on financed vehicles so they can recover them in the event of repossession. Some consider it an unethical and/or illegal practice. It certainly should not be installed on a vehicle without the consent of the buyer.

@pber1 where was it mounted and what is it wired to? Recommend you relook at all those forms they had you sign and look for something giving consent to install this tracker... then if it is not a factory mopar part, definitely have them remove it!

It’s an SWDS Swat3e tracker. Google has plenty of info. It’s not the factory/Mopar track option, either.

Guess they want to be able to repo your truck easier...

surfingcrna

Reaction score
Most of this speculation is in jest, but this answer has already been provided by @W9MCP above... search a bit, there have been reports for sometime of dealers who install tracking devices (and even disabling devices) on financed vehicles so they can recover them in the event of repossession. Some consider it an unethical and/or illegal practice. It certainly should not be installed on a vehicle without the consent of the buyer.

@pber1 where was it mounted and what is it wired to? Recommend you relook at all those forms they had you sign and look for something giving consent to install this tracker... then if it is not a factory mopar part, definitely have them remove it!
All I have seen is that it is a GPS enabled device. People are saying it could be used to locate your vehicle, and posting a name of a company that does that, but there's been no one to say that's exactly what is is for and does that I've seen. Could it be part of uConnect or navigation or a tracker? I've no clue that's why I was asking. I actually searched the model and company and such and didn't find anything that said that box does this. If you have such a link I would love to read it. Thanks

Last edited:

Old Ray

Reaction score
Seems (to me) a little amount of unsubstantiated paranoia here, at least until you know what it is, take a Valium, then if necessary go to DEFCON 3 .
Just my observation, but when I read the other post, about the dealer theft tracking modules it did not make any sense (other then theft tracking and a excuse to charge more) because how could a dealership possibly have the staff to process the data from thousands of vehicles and what use is it, ....so what if you went to a stripper bar. Most dealerships are barely capable of running their day to day operations. They have trouble getting your oil changed on time, let alone tracking you 24 - 7. (But I have been wrong before).

Lbdyll

Reaction score
My truck was a dealer trade. When I got it home I found pretty much the same thing on my truck, the design is a little different. I called my salesman and asked him about it. Turns out the dealer they got the truck from installs lojack on all their vehicles and then just activates it once the customer buys it. I took it out. If it connects like mine it just has a jumper in between the stock obd port.

surfingcrna

Reaction score
My truck was a dealer trade. When I got it home I found pretty much the same thing on my truck, the design is a little different. I called my salesman and asked him about it. Turns out the dealer they got the truck from installs lojack on all their vehicles and then just activates it once the customer buys it. I took it out. If it connects like mine it just has a jumper in between the stock obd port.
Bought a car once in Chicago and they said it had a mandatory lojack fee, which I didn't pay. I'll take a look an serif the same device is on that. Thanks. Where was yours?

djwdjw

Reaction score
No speculation necessary, all you have to do is watch this video all the way through to get it. Many versions of the same thing are out there but the result is the same.

Why they can’t get the same info from Uconnect is the only question that puzzles me. FCA likely locks dealerships out of global access to that data so they had to come up with some other scheme to roll their own.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread