5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What spare parts and fluids do you keep in the truck at all times?

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I have kept a scan tool in the center console ever since a bad cam sensor left us stranded on date night in the theater parking lot. The cost of the tow was three times the cost of the repair and we were literally walking distance from a parts store. I kept a spare cam and crank sensor in the kit alongside a serpentine belt but that truck had over 300k miles and was starting to get quirky.

I'm closing in on 100k miles on my 19 so it's time to get over the "it's a new vehicle", bad habits and start carrying a few extra items again.

Essentials,
- Quart of oil
- Serpentine belt
- Scan tool
- Folding 4-way Lug Wrench
- Tie Down straps
- Jumper cables
- Beretta 8040
- Basic tool set
- Basic First Aid Kit

Nice to have's,
- M12 Cordless Compressor
- M12 Spotlight
- Fluke AC/DC Clamp-on Multi-Meter

If I'm on the road for work, I also have a large rolling Pelican case full of misc tools.
*I changed out the radiator on my 02, in the O'reilly's parking lot in under 35 minutes and didn't have to borrow a single tool and I still made it to work on time.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
If any of you had been a carpenter or a field construction guy, especially residential, you would know that a plug kit it just a way of life. If not for these gems you would go broke buying tires. A little rubber cement really helps them seal. They work, don't leak, and in most cases last the life of the tire.

Would I put it on a track performance car? Probably not. Daily driver? Yep.

Purists need to just get over it.

View attachment 161409
The thick brown plugs are definitely the best

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have kept a scan tool in the center console ever since a bad cam sensor left us stranded on date night in the theater parking lot. The cost of the tow was three times the cost of the repair and we were literally walking distance from a parts store. I kept a spare cam and crank sensor in the kit alongside a serpentine belt but that truck had over 300k miles and was starting to get quirky.

I'm closing in on 100k miles on my 19 so it's time to get over the "it's a new vehicle", bad habits and start carrying a few extra items again.

Essentials,
- Quart of oil
- Serpentine belt
- Scan tool
- Folding 4-way Lug Wrench
- Tie Down straps
- Jumper cables
- Beretta 8040
- Basic tool set
- Basic First Aid Kit

Nice to have's,
- M12 Cordless Compressor
- M12 Spotlight
- Fluke AC/DC Clamp-on Multi-Meter

If I'm on the road for work, I also have a large rolling Pelican case full of misc tools.
*I changed out the radiator on my 02, in the O'reilly's parking lot in under 35 minutes and didn't have to borrow a single tool and I still made it to work on time.
How does the M12 compressor work? I feel like it would just drink batteries and not be able to air anything up.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How does the M12 compressor work? I feel like it would just drink batteries and not be able to air anything up.
I have one, it works awesome. power on, set the pressure you want to inflate to. Connect to tire with threaded end. Hit inflate. It will stop when correct pressure is hit. The included CP2.0 battery will top off two full size tires no problem. I also have some XC 3.0 batteries for my work tools that work even better and can top off several cars. Adding 10psi to each tire. Picture of inflator is with the XC3.0 battery in it. PXL_20230624_145516802.jpg PXL_20230624_145504705.jpg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is the smaller battery it came with installed. Huge difference is size.

Attachments

• PXL_20230624_145655244.jpg
    PXL_20230624_145655244.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 5

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have one, it works awesome. power on, set the pressure you want to inflate to. Connect to tire with threaded end. Hit inflate. It will stop when correct pressure is hit. The included CP2.0 battery will top off two full size tires no problem. I also have some XC 3.0 batteries for my work tools that work even better and can top off several cars. Adding 10psi to each tire. Picture of inflator is with the XC3.0 battery in it. View attachment 161428 View attachment 161429
Thanks for the info. I have some M12 but I would probably get the M18 version so I move my plug in kobalt to another car. I was concerned it struggling with topping off tires but if the M12 can do it the 18 would have no problem with an 6HO or even a 5xc then. I only have 1.5 and 2.0 M12s because my M12 tools don't need any more.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have one, it works awesome. power on, set the pressure you want to inflate to. Connect to tire with threaded end. Hit inflate. It will stop when correct pressure is hit. The included CP2.0 battery will top off two full size tires no problem. I also have some XC 3.0 batteries for my work tools that work even better and can top off several cars. Adding 10psi to each tire. Picture of inflator is with the XC3.0 battery in it. View attachment 161428 View attachment 161429
I use the Dewalt 20V (y), 87% of 8,988 users give it 5 stars on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCC02...&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584482468753775&th=1

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have some M12 but I would probably get the M18 version so I move my plug in kobalt to another car. I was concerned it struggling with topping off tires but if the M12 can do it the 18 would have no problem with an 6HO or even a 5xc then. I only have 1.5 and 2.0 M12s because my M12 tools don't need any more.
It's amazing how much s difference the XC3.0 makes in performance of the inflator. It pumps faster and lasts longer. Would be the same with any M12 tool

Jako

Reaction score
I have this and love it. It generally goes everywhere with me.
Definitely one of best items I have purchased (nice to have the batteries already). Makes inflating the tires to the correct pressure so much easier than the add air, check pressure, add air or maybe remove some.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
Mine works great. You can get 3rd party high capacity batteries on amazon and also get a clip on adapter, makes it easier.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mine works great. You can get 3rd party high capacity batteries on amazon and also get a clip on adapter, makes it easier.
Skip the junk aftermarket batteries. Have a couple of the higher rated M18 batteries and they are junk.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't own a single DeWalt tool, so the Milwaukee made more sense, since that's what I use. DeWalt is owned and made by same company and in same factory as Black and Decker.
DeWalt is good stuff. I used to just have a DeWalt drill but the 2x batteries was going after around 15 years. I didn't own any other power tools so I swapped to Milwaukee as they have a larger variety then DeWalt, at least at the time (cordless ratchets). I sold the drill and 2 batteries to a friend and got $30, it originally cost $99 back in around 2006

I also found that the clutches are on DeWalt drills are WAY better, Milwaukee sets theirs way to high any M18 tool (setting 1 is 25 in-lbs, even my M12 installation drill\driver is sometimes a bit too powerful on 1 (8 in-lbs), and it almost impacts when engaging the clutch unless you take your finger off despite being a drill
It's amazing how much s difference the XC3.0 makes in performance of the inflator. It pumps faster and lasts longer. Would be the same with any M12 tool
Because the inflator can use the extra power to do more work. They use different cell sizes with differnet currents, not just more of them.
Same reason why on the M18 the XC6.0 output\runtime is way better then a XC5.0 regular (as long as the tool actually needs that much juice)

This is decent read if your curious
https://www.reddit.com/r/MilwaukeePowerTools/comments/efq279 And also this spreadsheet which shows you what actual batteries come in each pack

BowDown

Reaction score
If any of you had been a carpenter or a field construction guy, especially residential, you would know that a plug kit it just a way of life. If not for these gems you would go broke buying tires. A little rubber cement really helps them seal. They work, don't leak, and in most cases last the life of the tire.

View attachment 161409

Yep, saved me many times. Bought a can of Xtra Seal and a brick of Slime tire plugs along after using up the plugs that come with the tool.
100xs easier than dealing with the spare, plug it, air it up and you're good. I've driven around on plugs for weeks before I could get to a tire shop and never had that plug leak

51Eg8GiWYbL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

a389f999-1310-4f95-97d0-a88d2c2b3523.731bd4a737f7b9656c4bd44b893a119c.jpeg

6of36

Reaction score

View attachment 161409
I'm retired, but worked construction ( sheet metal worker ). Never got a single flat at work. I did watch where I parked, I knew never to park near a carpenter.:)

Users who are viewing this thread