5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What spare parts and fluids do you keep in the truck at all times?

barrak

Reaction score
The slow leak was caused by the plug. And the plug was the reason they would not repair the tire.

A tire shop once explained to me that if the tire is compromised too near to the sidewall, then it should be replaced. Luckily, my tire was fixable that day.

On another instance, upon discovering a low tire after a 2-hour highway drive, the tire shop actually scooped a handful of rubber powder from inside the tire after unmounting it and condemned it on the spot. Otherwise, it looked fine from the outside. I still have my car logs from back then... July 17, 1995 - Goodyear Wrangler GS-A - P235/75R15 - 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee - $119.92 installed.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It just depends on the vehicle...

Since the question was about spare parts and fluids, in the Rebel I carry an extra wheel/tire combo.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't get the tire plug kits. We have spare tires. Just recently had to get new tires for my step sons truck a little sooner than planned. He had one that would leak and needed air added every 2-3 dsysm. Took it to tire shop to get fixed. Someone used a plug in it and the plug leaked. Tire shop refused to fix tire and wouldn't even remount it due to safety/liability reasons. Meaning a tire plug kits basically ruins your tire. I've never liked them, and would never use them on my car tires, even before this.
I have never use them but could see the value of having one for more than basic off road incase you get more than 1 flat or people running tires several sizes taller than the spare

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have never use them but could see the value of having one for more than basic off road incase you get more than 1 flat or people running tires several sizes taller than the spare
If you are going to a diff tire size than what your spare size should be including the spare tire in the new tire purchase.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't understand why you would carry a OBDII link.
Check/clear code if they pop up. Make changes with alfaOBD. Use torque app to monitor sensors not displayed in dash. 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile timers.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I always carry one too, I didn't think about it when I posted. I like to be able to check a code if one pops up, but mainly use it for others with older cars.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I just keep it in my toolbox and wait until I get home to check/clear codes or do changes with AlfaOBD.

I don't like clutter, so I have a couple of tie downs, umbrella for the wife, gloves, and a microfiber towel.

6of36

Reaction score
I just keep it in my toolbox and wait until I get home to check/clear codes or do changes with AlfaOBD.

I don't like clutter, so I have a couple of tie downs, umbrella for the wife, gloves, and a microfiber towel.
There are a dozen storage spots in these trucks. It takes up less than 2 inches. That's the least clutter in my truck. Lol. Like I said, I use it more to check others.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Depending on what code is set, it could put truck into limp mode or reduced performance until it's cleared. I've had the Pulsar cause a check engine light for cam/crank misslioor something like that, and cruise control was disabled until the code was cleared. And I've used it to help other people as well. Easier for me to keep it in my truck because that's where it gets used the most. Shoot, on my Dakota, I had a mini one that I just kept plugged in all the time. But I would run the torque app frequently to monitor gauges the dash doesn't display.

N0cturnal

Reaction score
This truck has replaced my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Which means it stays in the garage for the most part, but when it goes out, I am usually away on 3000 mile round trip. I never had to use the OBDII scanner, but good to know if I am in some trouble in the middle of nowhere. If you only drive locally, yeah you don't need it.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love the OBDLink app with MX+ Leave it in the OBD2 permanently, and fire up the gauges on any trip of length. Have had to clear DTCs on the fly as well (#fordlife) and its ok for logging - not as good as a tuner or laptop, but soo much easier to use. When you buy the OEM package there is so much good stuff to dig into and learn about.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
This truck has replaced my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Which means it stays in the garage for the most part, but when it goes out, I am usually away on 3000 mile round trip. I never had to use the OBDII scanner, but good to know if I am in some trouble in the middle of nowhere. If you only drive locally, yeah you don't need it.

If you're in the middle of nowhere, I can't think of a situation when reading a code would help fix your truck.

6of36

Reaction score
If you're in the middle of nowhere, I can't think of a situation when reading a code would help fix your truck.
You never know when there is a glitch in the system that sets a fake code that puts you in limp mode. Clear the code, and go. Better safe than sorry, wishing you had it. It's like any other insurance.

N0cturnal

Reaction score
You never know when there is a glitch in the system that sets a fake code that puts you in limp mode. Clear the code, and go. Better safe than sorry, wishing you had it. It's like any other insurance.
^^ Exactly. The response is very similar to the like "that it is a brand new truck so I should not be carrying any tools". I suppose I am in the minority of drivers who still change their own tires when it goes flat and don't rely on emergency road service.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When traveling long distances I take: a breaker bar with the correct socket for the wheels, air pump, tire repair kit, jumper cables(I need to get a jumper pack), coolant, 1 qt of oil and some misc tools.

Users who are viewing this thread