5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What size tank have I REALLY got here?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My understanding is that the build sheet is never wrong. And it's the window sticker that people have been finding errors with. Can you point to any specific cases where the build sheet has been wrong?
I'm curious about that too. I'm sure it's possible for a mistake to be made on a build sheet, but I don't recall seeing a post claim that in the history of this forum.

Boston

Reaction score
Perhaps people should crawl under their trucks and measure the length of their tanks.

After a few checks we should know 23v26v33 sizes!

turkeybird56

Reaction score
Perhaps people should crawl under their trucks and measure the length of their tanks.

After a few checks we should know 23v26v33 sizes!
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, maybe.......... IF I knew where the part number was stamped on tank, be betta. BUT I bet U a dollar bill it would be in an inaccessible location to see.

Reaction score
Mines a heavy but I'm confused because on my build sheet is says under standard equipment 31 gallon fuel tank but under optional equipment it says 5.2 additional gallons of gas. Whats that mean? It sucks the tanks aren't bigger because I hate hauling jerry cans of gas when towing. Some of our gas stations are 250 miles apart.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
They have to put some gas in the thing so it can be moved around and loaded on and off a train and the car carrier. A good dealer will sell it with a full tank. Fuel put into the truck to move it around ref loading/off loading, going in-moved for add ons, etc.,. has nothing to do with tank size. SO they list on the build sheet that "5" gallons of added gas, personally to me, kinda silly, but they R charging U for that gas, LOL.

DOES YER Build sheet show optional 33 gallon tank? Hopefully U got lucky and got the slightly bigger tank, I wish I had a 33 gallon on my Bighorn, which has 26 gallon tank. Remember, the Fuel Gauges on these things R set so lists, shows U R empty but u may have from 2-5 gallons in tank (kinda like reserve). Do not run below 1/4 if possible cause Fuel Cools Fuel Pump.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
DO NOT run it that low, cause fuel cools fuel pump. I had an ED, and on forum, U know PPL with Diesel tend to push it more and a lot of folks were having pre-mature fuel pump failure and it was found out fuel cools the pump. Simple science, fuel there === cool pump. No fuel, pump working harder,. so IMHO not run too low. I have only run it far down once on a trip and put 24.5 G in my 26 G tank.

ADDED: I did go to Dealership ref gauge. They wanted me to run fuel almost all out,. and they would fully drain and fill to top to Verify tank size. I talked to my SA and he related it is FCA on this, and the gauges R neva accurate, always read low but fuel in tank, so if U go past empty U have an undetermined amount of fuel, but he was adamant on not running tanks too low. He did not come out officially and say, but I knew what he was saying.

ALL ABOBE IMHO.....................

Diesel fuel lubricates the pump, that's why the pump explodes after too many times of running low on fuel or in reality, having the pump run dry for a period of time. Gasoline vehicles don't use the fuel to lubricate, cool yes, lubricate no. A gasoline pump will now fail from running low or out of gas repeatedly, the design of the pump and cup assembly keeps the pump immersed in fuel.

5C_P74699R_Ang.jpg

I've pulled more than my share of drained fuel tanks just to find this cup still with a 1/2 quart of fuel in it even after draining the tank.
My Z06 has 2 tanks with a pump in each, I routinely drain the tank using the fuel pump and pulling the valve from the fuel rail and drain the tank to switch over to my E85 tune and back to 93. This is the shop manual way to drain the tank.

BowDown

Reaction score
Mines a heavy but I'm confused because on my build sheet is says under standard equipment 31 gallon fuel tank but under optional equipment it says 5.2 additional gallons of gas. Whats that mean? It sucks the tanks aren't bigger because I hate hauling jerry cans of gas when towing. Some of our gas stations are 250 miles apart.

Tha means at the time of production, someone opted that your truck be filled with an additional 5 gallons of fuel instead of the normal 3 or whatever it is. Has nothing to do with fuel tank size

BowDown

Reaction score
My build sheet shows my truck to have the 26 gallon tank. I filled up yesterday at 1/8 tank and put 22 gallons in. which seems normal to me.
My previous Ram was a 2003 with a 26 gallon tank, it always would take between 21 and 23 gallons to fill depending on how close to E I was. If I were past E, it would take 24-25 gallons to fill. In the many many times I ran the truck dry, usually due to a late work day and I'd say, "I'll get fuel in the morning, going home" and coast into the gas station sputtering the next day and it take a touch over 26 gallons to fill. This new truck is likely the same way, 26 gallon tank of which the gauge only "sees" 23 to protect you from you.

I drained my tank to replace what I thought was a bad fuel pump, (turned out to be a broken intake valve spring) lifted the bed to gain access and the fuel pump was full of fuel but the tank was empty. The float assembly has a stop on it that does not allow the float to touch the bottom of the tank, just goes to its lowest position then reads a little past E.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
Diesel fuel lubricates the pump, that's why the pump explodes after too many times of running low on fuel or in reality, having the pump run dry for a period of time. Gasoline vehicles don't use the fuel to lubricate, cool yes, lubricate no. A gasoline pump will now fail from running low or out of gas repeatedly, the design of the pump and cup assembly keeps the pump immersed in fuel.

5C_P74699R_Ang.jpg

I've pulled more than my share of drained fuel tanks just to find this cup still with a 1/2 quart of fuel in it even after draining the tank.
My Z06 has 2 tanks with a pump in each, I routinely drain the tank using the fuel pump and pulling the valve from the fuel rail and drain the tank to switch over to my E85 tune and back to 93. This is the shop manual way to drain the tank.

Had an ED, and running the tanks low was a Big Issue, PPL like to stretch the tank. I know how the pump works/cools and I always try to not go below a 1/4. Now, I was on a trip and had like 8 Miles to empty and got 24.5 in my 26 gallon tank. Another reason I try not to run too low is to not pick up some of the debris. Too many gas stations do not take care of their equipment and have their filters cleaned/replaced and tanks purged. NE way, all this IMHO, as I's just a BOIRD ne way...

Reaction score
Tha means at the time of production, someone opted that your truck be filled with an additional 5 gallons of fuel instead of the normal 3 or whatever it is. Has nothing to do with fuel tank size

haha really. Maybe because it's harder on gas they want to make sure there is enough to get to the dealership with getting on and off trains and trailers I guess

The Critic

Reaction score
2020 w/eTorque here. Build date is 3/2020. The build sheet shows a 26-gal tank. I have also filled about ~22 gal when the gauge showed 1/8th left.

There must have been a recent change to the eTorque and fuel tank sizes....or I got lucky.

The Critic

Reaction score
2020 w/eTorque here. Build date is 3/2020. The build sheet shows a 26-gal tank. I have also filled about ~22 gal when the gauge showed 1/8th left.

There must have been a recent change to the eTorque and fuel tank sizes....or I got lucky.
Ok, I think I figured it out.
There are differences in the eTorque option between the 2wd and 4wd models.
The 2wd eTorque models keep the 26-gal tank and receive a Thermal Rear Axle. The 4wd models receive a smaller 23-gal tank, do not receive the thermal rear axle, but receive the 18" aluminum spare wheel (not sure if this means a donut or a full-size).

Users who are viewing this thread