5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What size tank have I REALLY got here?

Apexbasher

Reaction score
SOOooooo according to my VIN search on the Mopar website I have a 26 gallon tank. But I have run this baby down to Empty a few times and it never takes more than 22 gallons to get her back to full. I figure there two possible things going on here:
1) the body computer thinks I have a 23 gallon tank (this would jive with the range info I get on a full tank)
OR 2) I actually do have a 23 gallon tank inspite of what FCA has to say on the matter.
I looked at the tank and found only one sticker with a part number, checked that number and came up with nothing... zilch... nada. So my question here is: What can I visually identify to establish which tank I really have? IMG_0120.jpg

KcRay

Reaction score
When the gauge says empty, you still have a couple of gallons or so of gas in the tank. Run her past empty, all the way till she quits running. Then you'll be able to put in 26 gallons.

Zeeya

Reaction score
2019 Rebel, I have run it down to an estimated 12 miles left on computer and put 24.8 in the tank. That being said I did bump nozzle a couple of times to get 1/2 gallon more after pump initially kicked off.

Apexbasher

Reaction score
2019 Rebel, I have run it down to an estimated 12 miles left on computer and put 24.8 in the tank. That being said I did bump nozzle a couple of times to get 1/2 gallon more after pump initially kicked off.
This is more of what I EXPECTED to see. But instead I am taking it don to 0 miles left and refilling with a smidge over 20. The next time I buried the needle in E and drove perhaps twenty miles past 0 miles left and filled up with about 22.
I’ve heard of pessimistic fuel gauges but this is ridiculous, OR I actually have a 23.

Apexbasher

Reaction score
Using this site as reference.

Fuel tank, 23 gallon - part number 68408877AC.
Fuel tank, 26 gallon - part number 68408871AB or 68408873AB or 68408873AC.
Fuel tank, 33 gallon - part number 68408872AB, or 68408875AD or 68408876AD.
The number is probably moulded into the tank somewhere.

Steve
I wish I could find a part number that matched one of those you mention, but I’ve scoured the tank for identifying marks and all I have found are these two stickers on the back of it. The only place I have NOT looked was the top, for obvious reasons.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wish I could find a part number that matched one of those you mention, but I’ve scoured the tank for identifying marks and all I have found are these two stickers on the back of it. The only place I have NOT looked was the top, for obvious reasons.
Have you looked up your build sheet?

Paultg

Reaction score
Check your window sticker again. They can be confusing.
on the upper left side it will be standard and might say 26gal.
But on the bottom / optional and on the right side optional it could indicate 23 gal tank, especially if you have an e-torque option.
All the stickers indicate the standard stuff, and the optional stuff replaces the standard.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I used the Mopar build sheet tool as well to "confirm" I have a 26 gallon tank. Which seems to match the longest refill I've had in the past, which was about 23 gallons. I think there is a bit of cushion on what the computer tells you is empty.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
SOOooooo according to my VIN search on the Mopar website I have a 26 gallon tank. But I have run this baby down to Empty a few times and it never takes more than 22 gallons to get her back to full. I figure there two possible things going on here:
1) the body computer thinks I have a 23 gallon tank (this would jive with the range info I get on a full tank)
OR 2) I actually do have a 23 gallon tank inspite of what FCA has to say on the matter.
I looked at the tank and found only one sticker with a part number, checked that number and came up with nothing... zilch... nada. So my question here is: What can I visually identify to establish which tank I really have? View attachment 62390
I was just playing around with the configurator on ramtrucks.com, and it looks like the 23-gal tank is standard on a Big Horn (with 26-gal being a $0 option). So it comes down to your window sticker or build sheet to confirm.

I have the 33-gal, and I think the most I’ve ever put in was just over 31 gallons.

Boston

Reaction score
All the vehicles I have access to have between three and four gallons left when Range says zero or warning comes on depending on brand.
It all because the fuel pump will overheat if you do run out of fuel. The fuel is its coolant!

turkeybird56

Reaction score
All the vehicles I have access to have between three and four gallons left when Range says zero or warning comes on depending on brand.
It all because the fuel pump will overheat if you do run out of fuel. The fuel is its coolant!
APEX: If yer Build sheet says 26, G, U have a 26 G tank. I have 26 G tank, and the most fuel I have put in is 24.5 gallons. But "B" is correct, the fuel pumps are cooled by the fuel. U do not want to RUN it down that far often. This was a big Issue on the ED trucks, as they of course do better on MPG and PPL were running them almost bone dry and having premature fuel pump failure. SO everyone figured out, to not run them low past 1/4 tank. I try to neva let my Hemi get below a 1/4, if for no other reason, my sanity and fear of maybe needing fuel and unable to find a decent place. I do not get fuel at Mom and Pop places, only high volume if I can. But that may be my pet peeve over having an ED previously, but then I's a Boird, LOL...

ADDED: And the gauges are set to read high, but U still have 1-4 G in there, depending how brave U R and how low U really run them.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you put in 23 Gallons when the tank says it's dead empty you have a 26 gallon tank. Thier's alwas at least a 3-4 gallon reserve on a bigger vehicle. On some smaller cars it may only be 1-2 gallons.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
If you put in 23 Gallons when the tank says it's dead empty you have a 26 gallon tank. Thier's alwas at least a 3-4 gallon reserve on a bigger vehicle. On some smaller cars it may only be 1-2 gallons.

Makes sense when your barely breaking 14 mpg :)

Though in my RAM's defense, I have mostly city driving or low speed driving with occasional burst of power that doesn't help with mpg.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was just playing around with the configurator on ramtrucks.com, and it looks like the 23-gal tank is standard on a Big Horn (with 26-gal being a $0 option). So it comes down to your window sticker or build sheet to confirm.

I have the 33-gal, and I think the most I’ve ever put in was just over 31 gallons.

I believe the standard fuel tank on the regular Hemi-equipped trucks is the 26-Gal. If you get the Hemi w/ E-torque, the 23-Gal is standard.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I believe the standard fuel tank on the regular Hemi-equipped trucks is the 26-Gal. If you get the Hemi w/ E-torque, the 23-Gal is standard.
I know that's true for the Laramie. For the Longhorn and Limited, the 26-gal. tank is always supplied standard. I'm not as familiar with the Big Horn.

Note: The configurator often has errors, but it does show the 26-gal. tank as a $0 option on the Big Horn when equipped with the HEMI (whether I pick eTorque or not). Crazy!

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes when I ordered my Big Horn I made sure to check the 26 gallon fuel tank option. For $0 it was a no brainer.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes when I ordered my Big Horn I made sure to check the 26 gallon fuel tank option. For $0 it was a no brainer.
I was just thinking that if the OP bought his off the lot, it might have the 23-gal.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I was just thinking that if the OP bought his off the lot, it might have the 23-gal.

I don't think he has e-torque, the 23 gallon is rare on non e-torque models. He also pulled his official build sheet that states he has a 26 gallon tank. I think he has a 26 gallon, it's just his computer is likely very conservative and he isn't as low as he thinks when he fill up.

Though it's entirely possible that his build sheet is wrong and they put the wrong tank in his truck or mis-quoted his build sheet. Not the first time FCA messed up the options and parts on a RAM build.

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
Jumping in here. I have the eTorque and have not been able to put more than a smidge over 20 gallons in my truck. I have run it down to the 15 miles left range as well. The thing that gets me is I have never had the gauge actually read full when the pump shuts off. This is the only truck I have ever owned where I can add almost another dollar of gas (1/2 gallon ish) after the click. Even after that it never touches full. Just stays right under. 18 miles into new tank of gas and gauge has already dropped. One of those things that has baffled me since getting this truck in March.

Users who are viewing this thread