5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What size tank have I REALLY got here?

turkeybird56

Reaction score
I cannot answer ref E-Torque. I bought MY 19 when they 1st came out in Aug 2018. It is non E-torque and has 26 gallon tank. Wish it had a 33 actually, considering having a Hemi, LOL...

turkeybird56

Reaction score
This is more of what I EXPECTED to see. But instead I am taking it don to 0 miles left and refilling with a smidge over 20. The next time I buried the needle in E and drove perhaps twenty miles past 0 miles left and filled up with about 22.
I’ve heard of pessimistic fuel gauges but this is ridiculous, OR I actually have a 23.

I have put 24.5 in mine when the Estimate to Empty read 14 miles. SO I got a 26 G tank. I actually went to FCA/Dealer and wanted Gauge re-programmed. I got told to bring in empty, they would drain the rest, than fill with fuel to confirm I had 26 Gallon. I cannot TYPE my answer to that BS here, LOL. SO I just live with it. I know I have 26 G tank, and gauge reads 1-3 gallons optimistic, so I am not worried about running down. But since the "fuel" cools the fuel pump, I TRY TO NEVA run below a 1/4 tank. Too many PPL who have ED's run em low then end up with pre-mature fuel pump failures and CP4 issues, which has known failure issues, which explains why FCA used, IMHO.............

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's been well documented that there will be 3 to 4 gallons of fuel in the system with the gauge reading empty. Many threads about this. Even the 4th gens I owned were like this.

I figured I'd bring this up here because it sounds like some of you are doing this. Topping off your fuel tank is not a good thing on these trucks. Not only can it damage your evap system, but you might actually be sending metered gas back to the gas station's tanks through their vapor recovery system. So you could be paying for gas that you're sending back to them. Let it fill until the pump clicks off the first time. It's not a contest to see who can force the most gas in their tank LOL.

orange01z28

Reaction score
All the vehicles I have access to have between three and four gallons left when Range says zero or warning comes on depending on brand.
It all because the fuel pump will overheat if you do run out of fuel. The fuel is its coolant!
I had to replace fuel pumps in 3 different cars because I always used to play the Seinfeld game. I fill when the light comes on now:p

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
It's been well documented that there will be 3 to 4 gallons of fuel in the system with the gauge reading empty. Many threads about this. Even the 4th gens I owned were like this.

I figured I'd bring this up here because it sounds like some of you are doing this. Topping off your fuel tank is not a good thing on these trucks. Not only can it damage your evap system, but you might actually be sending metered gas back to the gas station's tanks through their vapor recovery system. So you could be paying for gas that you're sending back to them. Let it fill until the pump clicks off the first time. It's not a contest to see who can force the most gas in their tank LOL.
I don't disagree with you about topping off the tank. The issue is with only getting 285 to 300 miles per tank (mostly city driving) I am filling this thing so much. I used to hate putting $70 in my F-150 Ecoboost, but at least I could go a good 450-500 miles on that tank. The tank size in these trucks definitely leaves something to be desired. That is one thing I failed to look into when I got my truck off the lot. If I had realized there were options, I probably would have forgoed the eTorque for a bigger gas tank. Oh well, just gotta live with it now. But yeah, I don't like doing the topping off thing. That's why I also mentioned the question of it ever able to actually read full on the gauge.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
I don't disagree with you about topping off the tank. The issue is with only getting 285 to 300 miles per tank (mostly city driving) I am filling this thing so much. I used to hate putting $70 in my F-150 Ecoboost, but at least I could go a good 450-500 miles on that tank. The tank size in these trucks definitely leaves something to be desired. That is one thing I failed to look into when I got my truck off the lot. If I had realized there were options, I probably would have forgoed the eTorque for a bigger gas tank. Oh well, just gotta live with it now. But yeah, I don't like doing the topping off thing. That's why I also mentioned the question of it ever able to actually read full on the gauge.

IF I did a lot of driving, I would explore putting in a bigger tank, but not know if possible. On ED's, I know several PPL that actually have extra 50 gallon gravity feed units in the bed of their truck so they can really extend the mileage. That for me would be overkill, but having a 33 gallon tank be nice. Just have no clue on what involved and if it can even be done on a 1500.....

ADDED: With my 26 G tank, I was able to push almost 400 miles before the gas needle started to make me nervous, BUT I neva let go below a 1/4 because of fuel pump cooling issues.

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
IF I did a lot of driving, I would explore putting in a bigger tank, but not know if possible. On ED's, I know several PPL that actually have extra 50 gallon gravity feed units in the bed of their truck so they can really extend the mileage. That for me would be overkill, but having a 33 gallon tank be nice. Just have no clue on what involved and if it can even be done on a 1500.....

ADDED: With my 26 G tank, I was able to push almost 400 miles before the gas needle started to make me nervous, BUT I neva let go below a 1/4 because of fuel pump cooling issues.
Others have said you would do better trading your truck in and getting one with the 33 gallon, before trying to add it. I hear it is pretty expensive.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
Others have said you would do better trading your truck in and getting one with the 33 gallon, before trying to add it. I hear it is pretty expensive.

YEAH, but I personally would do 1K to change out, then trade up, and end up with a 15 to 20K loan. NOW, I would be open to looking at the 2021's and the new tech ref towing controls, tailgate and such. But since MY 19 which I bought in 2018 only has 14K on the odometer, no hurry, but all IMHO...

turkeybird56

Reaction score

Honestly, the gas tank size I can live with. The AC, well, U know, gotta live with it too, LOL. But then life is all about choices and sacrifices. Guess when U get older, U finally figure chit like that out, LOL.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

Since you have a 26 gallon tank (turkeybird56), from what I've read, it's actually not that expensive to go from 26 to 33 gal. The 26 and 33 gallon tanks use the same fuel pump assembly, among other parts, so you can swap them over to the larger tank. Those of us unfortunate enough to have the 23 gallon tank would have to spend a lot more to do the swap since none of the parts swap over, and that's where the recommendation of trading up to a truck with a bigger tank would come into play. I have no idea on the cost to go from 26 to 33 gallons, but I have seen a couple threads where this was discussed. I suggest you search for those if you're interested.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
Since you have a 26 gallon tank (turkeybird56), from what I've read, it's actually not that expensive to go from 26 to 33 gal. The 26 and 33 gallon tanks use the same fuel pump assembly, among other parts, so you can swap them over to the larger tank. Those of us unfortunate enough to have the 23 gallon tank would have to spend a lot more to do the swap since none of the parts swap over, and that's where the recommendation of trading up to a truck with a bigger tank would come into play. I have no idea on the cost to go from 26 to 33 gallons, but I have seen a couple threads where this was discussed. I suggest you search for those if you're interested.

I am just enuf interested to be curious only, but thanks for reply. My truck stays parked 98.5% in front of house, LOL. Be safe...

STR

Reaction score
You have a few gallons left. It’s the 26 gal. If you drive it until it stops, then you’ll know for sure, which made me think of the Seinfeld episode:

61D89F19-8864-4E61-AF1B-BC41F5103467.gif

turkeybird56

Reaction score
I will just leave this here.... Drove 57 miles after it said 0 Miles to empty and it appears that the neck and top of the curved tank aren't calculated in the 33 gallon capacity.

View attachment 62676
OK, verifies what we all know that gauges are not actually set to the tank, but I suggest not run that low, ref fuel pump, but yer ride... But thanx for posting...

Apexbasher

Reaction score
I don't think he has e-torque, the 23 gallon is rare on non e-torque models. He also pulled his official build sheet that states he has a 26 gallon tank. I think he has a 26 gallon, it's just his computer is likely very conservative and he isn't as low as he thinks when he fill up.

Though it's entirely possible that his build sheet is wrong and they put the wrong tank in his truck or mis-quoted his build sheet. Not the first time FCA messed up the options and parts on a RAM build.
You are correct, no eTorque here. I bought the truck used with 7,000 miles on it, after it had been a fleet vehicle for Enterprise. My distrust of the FCA build sheet stems from other people’s experience posted elsewhere on this forum. I probably do have the 26, but I’m leery of running her to shut down to verify it.

intelligence209

Reaction score
My Ram (etorque/26gal) is a ***** to get the fuel guage to actually say full. Usually always sits above it. I have to wait some time after the pump stops to then top off. It doesn't stay at that full line either. Boy does that get my OCD bells ringing!

turkeybird56

Reaction score
You are correct, no eTorque here. I bought the truck used with 7,000 miles on it, after it had been a fleet vehicle for Enterprise. My distrust of the FCA build sheet stems from other people’s experience posted elsewhere on this forum. I probably do have the 26, but I’m leery of running her to shut down to verify it.

DO NOT run it that low, cause fuel cools fuel pump. I had an ED, and on forum, U know PPL with Diesel tend to push it more and a lot of folks were having pre-mature fuel pump failure and it was found out fuel cools the pump. Simple science, fuel there === cool pump. No fuel, pump working harder,. so IMHO not run too low. I have only run it far down once on a trip and put 24.5 G in my 26 G tank.

ADDED: I did go to Dealership ref gauge. They wanted me to run fuel almost all out,. and they would fully drain and fill to top to Verify tank size. I talked to my SA and he related it is FCA on this, and the gauges R neva accurate, always read low but fuel in tank, so if U go past empty U have an undetermined amount of fuel, but he was adamant on not running tanks too low. He did not come out officially and say, but I knew what he was saying.

ALL ABOBE IMHO.....................

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
My understanding is that the build sheet is never wrong. And it's the window sticker that people have been finding errors with. Can you point to any specific cases where the build sheet has been wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread