5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What should I do in my 5k budget?

C.E.Divine

Reaction score
I just finalized my settlement from the accident that totaled my 2018 Ram 1500 and was about a foot from killing me.

With that settlement, some of the money is going into my new 2019 Ram 1500 4wd CCSB. I need advice on what mods you've done that made the biggest impact on daily usability and daily fun level. I have about 5k to spend. So far I'm leaning toward a Westin HDX Front Grille Guard and Wheel side steps. I see a ton of deer on my daily commute, and hit two in my old Silverado within 3 months. So I'd like to protect my front end where I've had the worst luck with making deer salad. Mrs. Divine is also pregnant, and the even the stock height is a big stretch for her to be climbing up in. I'm hoping that the side steps will help her get in, and the bed steps will help me get up over the side of the bed with my short little legs.

That leaves about 3000-3500 of my budget. What else should I do? My heart tells me I want a 3-4 inch lift and 35's, but my brain tells me that with driving a thousand miles a week will make an immediate hard hit on my gas bill if I do that. Those of you with a similar set-up, what real-world mileage are you getting? Forget the mileage guage. Those are stupid.

Also, those of you with Ramboxes, did a tonneau cover help or hinder your economy?

Go fast bits still seem to be in early development. I already have 3.92's and have a grin from ear to ear, but is there anything out there in the bolt-on that would make that grin even bigger?

I love the looks of the ramcharger, but hesitate at the price without knowing the gains, especially with it not being able to get full impact on the dyno.

I'd prefer a real tune instead of just the pulsar in-line module. But I've also heard that edge will be making it customizable in the real future. Is anyone doing custom tunes on the 2019's yet?

Sorry for all the questions, but I just don't know where to go first. And I need to get my budget spent before Mrs. Divine changes her mind.

Photo attached of my initial though on what I'd like to do.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190302-173747.png
    Screenshot_20190302-173747.png
    221.8 KB · Views: 88

NordicNevs

Reaction score
I did the Borla S Type and I love it. Sounds completely different and oddly enough no negative impact in economy but it’s too soon to tell if there will be any gains.

I would focus on air (in and out) and wait for a good tuner

More and more products will be coming out in the near future so you don’t have to drain the budget now.

....and at 1,000 miles a week you can use the remaining cash towards a commuter car lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C.E.Divine

Reaction score
I did the Borla S Type and I love it. Sounds completely different and oddly enough no negative impact in economy but it’s too soon to tell if there will be any gains.

What does the butt dyno say on the borla? A quick YouTube search tells me I like the sound of the borla s-type. I like the high pitched yowl compared to the low pitched brooom of a Flowmaster or Magnaflow.

As much as I value miles per gallon, I'm willing to sacrifice for a net gain in smiles per gallon. If I was TOO concerned with economy, I wouldn't have replaced the totaled truck with another one.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
What does the butt dyno say on the borla? A quick YouTube search tells me I like the sound of the borla s-type. I like the high pitched yowl compared to the low pitched brooom of a Flowmaster or Magnaflow.

As much as I value miles per gallon, I'm willing to sacrifice for a net gain in smiles per gallon. If I was TOO concerned with economy, I wouldn't have replaced the totaled truck with another one.

I had 1800 miles on the truck when I installed it and now having 1929 miles all I can say is the last 129 miles have been far more enjoyable than the previous 1800. You get what you pay for and I’m glad I got what I did.

I come from the diesel world so this seat of the pants feel people say they feel with mild alterations has wondering how people can tell. I’m used to a bigger kick. That being said there is a “noticeable” difference on the top end and that could be noticed now because I like to drive it like that more.

Personally my last job I drove 1,000 miles a week for over 3 years. If I were you I would keep away from the lifts and larger tires. Don’t get me wrong you should love what you drive but you’re depending on this for your paycheck ...you don’t need to make getting to work and the upkeep a limiting factor.

I eventually bought a Toyota Camry and made the drive in that and took my truck 1-2 times a week. Saved me literally $1,000s during the year.

C.E.Divine

Reaction score
Personally my last job I drove 1,000 miles a week for over 3 years. If I were you I would keep away from the lifts and larger tires. Don’t get me wrong you should love what you drive but you’re depending on this for your paycheck ...you don’t need to make getting to work and the upkeep a limiting factor.

That is some well-needed advice on the lift. As much as I would like it cosmetically, practically it would have no positive benefit to my trucks usage, as I use it for towing and commuting, not off-roading.

I had considered buying a cheap Honda civic for commuting, but between mid-February and the end of September I have to be ready to tow for my company at a few hours notice. That means if I get the call to hook up the trailer at 10 am and I don't have the truck, I'm SOL. It's just my lot in life, being the guy that always has a truck. At least I get bonus trailer mileage on top of vehicle mileage.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
That is some well-needed advice on the lift. As much as I would like it cosmetically, practically it would have no positive benefit to my trucks usage, as I use it for towing and commuting, not off-roading.

I had considered buying a cheap Honda civic for commuting, but between mid-February and the end of September I have to be ready to tow for my company at a few hours notice. That means if I get the call to hook up the trailer at 10 am and I don't have the truck, I'm SOL. It's just my lot in life, being the guy that always has a truck. At least I get bonus trailer mileage on top of vehicle mileage.

At the end of the day you gotta do what works for you. I had a high end tuned diesel and to go to a Camry was mentally harder than I like to admit BUT I committed to it and it really paid off in the end. Went from 50-60,000 miles a year ok my truck to 15-17,000

Depreciation slowed substantially and my upkeep and maintenance did too. $15 to change the Toyota oil and $120 to do the diesel and same interval lol.
Again you know your situation but consider self induced barriers lol.

I got my car for 4400.00 and had 177,000 and I still have it even though my commute is 6 miles now (phew).

When it comes to your truck the practical path can seem “painful” but it’s the same reason why I have highway tires and not mud terrains (even with my 3.21 rear lol)

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome OP, I say just swap to the muffler of your choice and leave the rest of the exhaust. Then put in a higher flow drop in air filter. Add a oil catch can and put a set of beefier looking tires on your stock wheels. See what you feel like after that. :)

DonsRam19

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got a magnaflow 14" muffler put on and paired with the aFe magnum force stage 2 cold air intake it really helps open up the hemi

Mr.Gigglez

Reaction score
Id take that money and put it towards paying it off ! Then hook it up once its paid for ! But if you insist - xpel wrap fenders forward ceramic coat exterior and interior ... Thats all id do after having hydraulics on most of my cars in the past and airbags , lifts on trucks big wheels n tires some boom booms ... At 40 yrs old im finally over all that **** ... Theres nothing more I'll ever do to a factory ride even exhaust or cai's ...i like being comfortable , quiet and able to get out of my truck at normal ride height , and having the limited I love lowering it to just " step out " ... BUT have fun at doing what ever you do brotha its ur money and u should spend it how ya want !!!!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I agree on doing Xpel on the front of the vehicle (bumper, hood, mirror caps, headlights, door cups, A-pillars and front roof line). Will keep the truck looking AWESOME and zero stone chips. I also highly recommend the WeatherTech mudguards...great quality and easy to install.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you don't want to lift but still want it to look beefier, just do a level in the front and some A/T tires. Maybe some 33s since stock is 32. Wouldnt be hardly any hit for gas mileage.

Users who are viewing this thread