5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What (or who?) do you guys use for undercoating / rust protection?

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looking to get my truck "protected" soon, as it's only a few days old and I want to get it done sooner rather than later. I've seen the rubberized undercoating sprayed all over the place by shops that didn't seem to care where it landed. Is there a product, or place, that you guys recommend that will be neat and also, well, work? I'm in Central CT, and I don't want to have to worry about the salt and crap they treat the roads with. I'm getting the exterior ceramic coated as well as the wheels and wheel barrels to help with that as well.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I use Krown on my 2014 and will use it when my Rebel gets here. Read up on their procedure and you might be able to find something similar as Krown seems to be more based in Canada.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah there aren't any of them near me it seems.... Interesting though how they claim to spray inside the vehicle too?

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd definitely recommend going with an oil based undercoating. The downside is that you have to have it reapplied every few years but it tends to do a much better job than the rubberized stuff. The problem with the rubberized stuff is that eventually it will crack, thats where water and salt seeps in, then gets trapped by the undercoating and starts to eat away at the truck.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
Is there rust protection warranty included with the truck? I know most cars have that

Last edited:

RT70808

Reaction score
Is there such protection warranty included with the truck? I know most cars have that
Never done a under coating, I just make sure I run through the car wash after launching my boat in saltwater.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Is there rust protection warranty included with the truck? I know most cars have that

Yes but certain conditions have to be met. Getting it undercoated helps. I live in ON, Canada and the y use a lot of salt and my 2014 looks exactly like it did when I got it 5 years ago because I got it Krown'ed.

da_Vinci_of_sorts

Reaction score
I go through a very involved process of cleaning, painting, and spraying/coating with Fluid Film on all our vehicles every year. My '13 Jeep that sees a TON of trail time still has a perfect frame and body (other than trail rash). The Fluid Film lasts though our Ohio winter but not much more. This said, Ohio has lots of rain in winter along with snow and ice mixed in. I actually think the rain washes it off faster so I would think this would work even better where it stays cold.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did a SEARCH and came across this one so I did not want to start another.

I know once my build is birthed and delivered, they are going to ask if I want undercoating. I have had plenty of vehicles and each one I had the dealer so was so disappointing.

I have seen a few talk about that Fluid Film, so it seems like I may get some of that and watch plenty of professional videos.

I was going to ask the same : pay for the dealership undercoating, or opting out and getting something "better"

Helmetface

Reaction score
I go through a very involved process of cleaning, painting, and spraying/coating with Fluid Film on all our vehicles every year. My '13 Jeep that sees a TON of trail time still has a perfect frame and body (other than trail rash). The Fluid Film lasts though our Ohio winter but not much more. This said, Ohio has lots of rain in winter along with snow and ice mixed in. I actually think the rain washes it off faster so I would think this would work even better where it stays cold.

Mind elaborating on this process?

I've used fluid film for a long time, throughout a lot of different vehicles. But you're making me thinking I've done it wrong.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This guy auto armor USA in Plainville does oil based coatings. I see him on Facebook all the time, and the pics he puts up looks great. I’m thinking about taking mine over there. He has a clear and a black coating.

Rmui4305

Reaction score
I am very curious about this. I don't have a garage and live in a very salty environment so looking for a place to get undercoating done. A shop has quoted me $500 with a 10 year warranty, but have to "retouch" every year for $70. My dealer is offering $700 undercoating with a lifetime warranty and free retreatments for as long as I own the vehicle. I'm very unfamiliar with what they use, or if one is better than the other. Thoughts?

Reaction score
I did fluid film myself. It takes a day and you need some gear. Way easier if you have access to a two post lift.

I didn't, so put it up on Jack stands, rinse out the underbody, then spray.

I'd do it before every winter.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did fluid film myself. It takes a day and you need some gear. Way easier if you have access to a two post lift.

I didn't, so put it up on Jack stands, rinse out the underbody, then spray.

I'd do it before every winter.

I had looked into the kits. I have most of the items needed (sprayer, etc.) so was just gonna get a "jug" or two. I, too, do not have a lift and I have a HUGE garage :( .. Does the film gone on tacky or is it 'watery' where it would drip onto the floor (or driveway for guys like us)?

Reaction score
I had looked into the kits. I have most of the items needed (sprayer, etc.) so was just gonna get a "jug" or two. I, too, do not have a lift and I have a HUGE garage :( .. Does the film gone on tacky or is it 'watery' where it would drip onto the floor (or driveway for guys like us)?

It's tacky, I didn't notice really any drip and I put it on pretty heavy. Get one of those tube attachments for the sprayer, helps get into the frame and nooks and crannies. I'd take the spare off.

Fluid Film smells bad, best way I can describe it is sweaty locker room. The smell goes away after a few days but I'd wear a mask and keep the garage well ventilated.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's tacky, I didn't notice really any drip and I put it on pretty heavy. Get one of those tube attachments for the sprayer, helps get into the frame and nooks and crannies. I'd take the spare off.

Fluid Film smells bad, best way I can describe it is sweaty locker room. The smell goes away after a few days but I'd wear a mask and keep the garage well ventilated.

Did you remove the wheel well plastic liners or spray over them .. I am one of those that do not like when the dealer sprays their tar-style undercoating all over the plastic (yet leave the metal portions open - they obviously had not yet passed that portion of the ASE testing :)

Users who are viewing this thread