5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What max payload looks like

Grimgreg

Reaction score
Your rear bumper is not dragging the ground yet. Throw some more in there!
Still had plenty of room under the bump stops.... For now I'll just wait until the warranty is up before exceeding the sticker.

Attachments

• 20220330_123954.jpg
    20220330_123954.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 121

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My mid 80`s Isuzu pup had almost as much payload as my rebel.
With 18 sheets of drywall in it, was over an inch from bump stops.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Lol. I’ll raise you one. My old truck had a 5in lift and a AAL. I calculated the weight of the pallet of pavers a bit wrong. I woulda fit in real good in South Carolina though.
1e57742e2fd93de25a25d034e198f961.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
At least I was able to fill up the bed before the error messages. Who would’ve thought….

Attachments

• FE318E07-02A8-4F15-8230-CD5907D5FD89.jpeg
    FE318E07-02A8-4F15-8230-CD5907D5FD89.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 145

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've owned trucks all my life and honestly I've never had one yet that couldn't exceed the "official" payload limits by at least several hundred pounds. I used to drag a ton of gravel from the quarry down the mountain and back up another one in both my S10 and my Mazda B2200 regularly with no ill effects. Don't know the maximum I've had in the Ram yet but I carried all of the decking for a 10x16 deck on mine and that would probably ballpark at 1500+ pounds, and I've also carried almost a full pallet of blocks in there which was probably close to 2k. Truck didn't even know that stuff was back there.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've owned trucks all my life and honestly I've never had one yet that couldn't exceed the "official" payload limits by at least several hundred pounds. I used to drag a ton of gravel from the quarry down the mountain and back up another one in both my S10 and my Mazda B2200 regularly with no ill effects. Don't know the maximum I've had in the Ram yet but I carried all of the decking for a 10x16 deck on mine and that would probably ballpark at 1500+ pounds, and I've also carried almost a full pallet of blocks in there which was probably close to 2k. Truck didn't even know that stuff was back there.
Shhhhhh the weight police might find you!!!😱

But yes 100% these things can take way more than the numbers, I don’t think going a few hundred over is gonna do any real damage as long as you’re safe.

Grimgreg

Reaction score
Shhhhhh the weight police might find you!!!😱

But yes 100% these things can take way more than the numbers, I don’t think going a few hundred over is gonna do any real damage as long as you’re safe.
Like most engineering, the rating is always well below fail point. Just feels like it is ridiculously low on these. Like it was slapped on to fit the "class" rather than the actual ability.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like most engineering, the rating is always well below fail point. Just feels like it is ridiculously low on these. Like it was slapped on to fit the "class" rather than the actual ability.
Yup, I’m just surprised gvwr isn’t more on par with gm and Ford, 7300 pound range. That would be a nice bump.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Most are forgetting that time is also a factor in the ratings.

It's not just the one time or occasional overload.

Overload that truck consistently and parts will fail/wear prematurely.

WRT HD trucks, the Ram 2500 is considered by most to be topped out at 10K GVWR primarily for tag purposes.

GM offers an 11,300 2500 but Ford offers a de-rated 10K GVWR 3500. Go figure. that said, those are both leaf sprung trucks. Not saying coils are lesser, but to me it's about the locating panhard bar and side-side (lateral) movement of the axle within it's travel that I surmise RAM places those limits on it as much as tag purposes. The coils are also located significantly inboard, giving it less roll stability.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most are forgetting that time is also a factor in the ratings.

It's not just the one time or occasional overload.

Overload that truck consistently and parts will fail/wear prematurely.

WRT HD trucks, the Ram 2500 is considered by most to be topped out at 10K GVWR primarily for tag purposes.

GM offers an 11,300 2500 but Ford offers a de-rated 10K GVWR 3500. Go figure. that said, those are both leaf sprung trucks. Not saying coils are lesser, but to me it's about the locating panhard bar and side-side (lateral) movement of the axle within it's travel that I surmise RAM places those limits on it as much as tag purposes. The coils are also located significantly inboard, giving it less roll stability.
I wish there was some sort of source for how the Manufacturers set GVWR, what factors the engineers analyze, like sway control or body roll and the other good points you mentioned, and what the limiting factors are on our trucks. Partially so that those of us who push the limit can beef up weak points.
We have J2807 for towing standards but to my knowledge there’s no SAE standard for vehicle GVWR

Users who are viewing this thread