5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this intermittent booming noise coming from the back?

GadgetMason

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I unplugged ANC to test and the noise is still there.
Best I can describe it is when the rear suspension rolls over minor irregularities in the road there’s an accompanying drumming sound in the rear of the cabin. It doesn’t always do it and it’s usually at lower speeds under 40 mph.
i’ve never had a vehicle that’s done this.
Removed them yesterday still boomy.

Actually just noticed there’s about 6” of hollow space betwteen the carpet on the back wall and the actual back wall itself behind the rear seat on the drivers side. This large hollow space might be causing the noise. Will experiment with this.
Time to drop a gopro back there and see if it's internal or external.

SMJBAV

Reaction score
It occurs at lower speeds. (below 40mph)
It's a very noticeable intermittent 'booming' sound coming from what sounds like behind/under the rear seat and seems to be related to the rear suspension movement.

I have a 2020 Limited and have ruled out the following:
-ANC
-MDS
-Air suspension setting

Anyone else notice this booming?
Also, if you have noticed it, do you have the air suspension?

I am late into this tread but I am glad I found it. While I have no solution to offer it made be feel better knowing I am not the only one highly annoyed over this. My trcuck has all the symptoms described in the various post except for one...windows up or down the booming does not changes. I would only add that mine started all of sudden at around 1,000 miles. My only explanation for that was that the exhaust cured and the frequency changed over that period. I also have the ECO mode drone but this one is distinctive from the"boming"sound and while equally annoying can be somewhat controlled.

So ...the solution at this point is a pool noodle wedge between the bed and the cap above the vents and sound deadening mat on the back wall of the cab? Yet no TSB available for the dealer to fix?

Driving a 2021 Limited with Air suspension, Hk Radio, sunroof and a Multi-function tailgate

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'd like to see a layout of the sound deadening tiles for the bed from the factory, maybe those affected are missing tiles

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"Booming", "thud" noise solved on my '19 Quad Cab.

This noise was infrequent, but noticeable when the rear suspension travelled over a pronounced bump that affected both rear wheels at roughly the same time.

I happen to notice that the tailgate latch on the left side of the vehicle had engagement play. By grabbing the tailgate on the top of the left side in the fully latched position, and forcefully trying to move the gate outward and inward, I would see movement. It also made a sound very similar to what I would hear in the cab. When I tried this on the right side there was no movement.

I adjusted the left side latch pin to ensure that when the tailgate was closed it was firmly against the rubber stop. I haven't heard "the noise" in over two months now.

As an aside I noticed that when using the FOB to lower the gate the gate would not fall open sometimes. It does now.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 0530338 miles.

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"Booming", "thud" noise solved on my '19 Quad Cab.

This noise was infrequent, but noticeable when the rear suspension travelled over a pronounced bump that affected both rear wheels at roughly the same time.

I happen to notice that the tailgate latch on the left side of the vehicle had engagement play. By grabbing the tailgate on the top of the left side in the fully latched position, and forcefully trying to move the gate outward and inward, I would see movement. It also made a sound very similar to what I would hear in the cab. When I tried this on the right side there was no movement.

I adjusted the left side latch pin to ensure that when the tailgate was closed it was firmly against the rubber stop. I haven't heard "the noise" in over two months now.

As an aside I noticed that when using the FOB to lower the gate the gate would not fall open sometimes. It does now.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 0530338 miles.
Dusty, mind sharing a little bit more regarding the adjustment of the latch pin? or point me somewhere on the forum where this has been covered. pictures would be helpful too. this is my first truck so tailgate adjustment isn't in my wheelhouse... yet!

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dusty, mind sharing a little bit more regarding the adjustment of the latch pin? or point me somewhere on the forum where this has been covered. pictures would be helpful too. this is my first truck so tailgate adjustment isn't in my wheelhouse... yet!
Hello Vinnie,

There are two tailgate latch pins, one on each side of the bed. In the enclosed photo please note the blue tape. That is the pin on the left side. The pin is adjustable by loosening with a T45 torx driver. Once the pin has been loosened, you can move pin inward or outward. Do not loosen too much, but just enough that it will move with a tap of a hammer.

To increase contact with the rubber stop located just behind the pin on the bed, move the pin towards the front of the box. If it's too tight, the tailgate will probably not latch, so some attempts might be required. I found on mine that it needed about 1/8 inch movement to bring it closer to the rubber stop.

Try not to move the pin upwards or downwards.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Dusty

Attachments

• IMG_0835.jpg
    IMG_0835.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 48

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello Vinnie,

There are two tailgate latch pins, one on each side of the bed. In the enclosed photo please note the blue tape. That is the pin on the left side. The pin is adjustable by loosening with a T45 torx driver. Once the pin has been loosened, you can move pin inward or outward. Do not loosen too much, but just enough that it will move with a tap of a hammer.

To increase contact with the rubber stop located just behind the pin on the bed, move the pin towards the front of the box. If it's too tight, the tailgate will probably not latch, so some attempts might be required. I found on mine that it needed about 1/8 inch movement to bring it closer to the rubber stop.

Try not to move the pin upwards or downwards.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Dusty
that helped a ton! thank you very much.

sorry for hijaking the thread

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As the OP of this thread, my issue was not the tailgate latch. It is/was the two vents on the back wall of the cab rapidly 'fluttering' open/closed at approx 40mph. Small irregularities in the road surface would disrupt the air pocket between the cab and bed to cause this.
I fixed it 90% by shoving a pool noodle down between the bed and cab wall (don't push it too far down to where it blocks the vents!) and also by sticking almost 5 square feet of sound deadening material on the back wall from the inside of the cab. An hour or two of work, but it's paid dividends since it I did it several months ago.

Last edited:

Dirtdoc

Reaction score
As the OP of this thread, my issue was not the tailgate latch. It is/was the two vents on the back wall of the cab rapidly 'fluttering' open/closed at approx 40mph. Small irregularities in the road surface would disrupt the air pocket between the cab and bed to cause this.
I fixed it 90% by shoving a pool noodle down between the bed and cab wall (don't push it too far down to where it blocks the vents!) and also by sticking almost 5 square feet of sound deadening material on the back wall from the inside of the cab. An hour or two of work, but it's paid dividends since it I did it several months ago.
Did you put the pool noodles horizontal or vertical/ Does it matter?

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you put the pool noodles horizontal or vertical/ Does it matter?
I took a thicker pool noodle and had to slice about 1/4 of it off lengthwise to be able to stuff it down there. Horizontal across left to right.
Just don't push it down more than about 4" or you'll block the vents which you DO NOT want to do.

Dirtdoc

Reaction score
Update. I have been battling this booming and have tried what buz did. My back cabwall is sound deadened with dynamat followed by putting foam dynaliner over that. Put pool noodle above vents and no help at all. I took that out and sounded the same. I ended up putting foam insulation wrap that you buy at home depot in there. These are the ones that are stiff like a pool noodle with the hole in the middle and slit all the way so you can slide it over your pipes. I tried that above the vents and seemed worse so for the heck of it I pushed them down right under the vents and glory be it cut the booming way down to where I can leave it or maybe try another one and push both down to where there is a rubber flap at bottom of cab backwall. Finally! Hope this maybe helps anyone else.

Reactions: Buz

Scram1500

Reaction score
Thank you @Buz and @Dirtdoc for sticking with the idea. When @Dirtdoc said it was cut way down after pushing the foam past the vents it got me thinking about the rubber strip. It is not long enough, the passenger vent is right at the edge of the strip where air from underneath the truck can flip it open. The strip looks like it should be longer as there is a hole for a plastic push rivet IMG_20210717_081616.jpg

IMG_20210717_081951.jpg

Ari K

Reaction score
I changed right side tailgate bushing from my truck and no more booming noise. Easy fix this time!

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can someone explain the term being used “Booming”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scram1500

Reaction score
Fingers crossed as I've only been on a quick 15 minute drive, but after several attempts with varying success, this has greatly reduced the booming, to the point I think its gone. It's a type of packing material with a vinyl protective layer. I wrapped it around a piece of pipe insulation so it would wedge in place. The part that hangs down covers the vent flaps but does not block them. My guess is it protects the flaps from turbulent air and vibrations from the bed. Not a lot of room to get a good picture
IMG_20210723_090848.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread