5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the sensor next the rear view mirror?

ws6guy

Reaction score
Hey all I just purchased a 21 Bighorn night edition and got a silly question. What's the sensor next to the review mirror? I think it may be rain sensor but I don't have the auto sensing wipers. I also don't have auto high beam lights either. I just had the windshield strip at the top tinted an it appears they tinted over the top of the sensor so it's not a nice circle anymore which got me guessing what this thing is for?

PXL_20230221_224649564.jpg

Last edited:

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Can you post a better picture? If it is on the back of the mirror, it is for auto dimming.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all I just purchased a 21 Bighorn night edition and got a silly question. What's the sensor next to the review mirror? I think it may be rain sensor but I don't have the auto sensing wipers. I also don't have auto high beam lights either. I just had the windshield strip at the top tinted an it appears they tinted over the top of the sensor so it's not a nice circle anymore which got me guessing what this thing is for?

View attachment 152610
Ambient light sensor for auto dimming mirror?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

View attachment 152610
If this is the spot you’re referring to, that is the rain/humidity sensor. If you do not have rain sensing wipers, it’s only purpose is to sense humidity on the inside of the windshield for the hvac defrost system.
D05563BF-C2E1-4792-8524-259E7DB99EFE.jpeg

ws6guy

Reaction score
Yeah the pic is awful, I couldn't get anything but the reflection. But yes it's the sensor that's pressed against the windshield, not on the mirror itself. Here's a better pic that I found online. After finding some more pics my guess is they got some extra water between the sensor and the glass.

But it does appear to be rain sensing or humidity sensor. Guess I'll see if it dries out.

20201006_214904.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread