5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the Minimum Ram Payload: A Contest with No Prize!!!

DavidNJ

Reaction score
My VW GTI has 1050lb payload....higher than my truck with the tonneau cover installed:oops:

Something is seriously wrong with this picture.

I'm beginning to think a Sierra 2500HD Denali, which is less expensive than a loaded Limited or Laramie Longhorn, might be an option to be considered. It not only comes with real, functioning trailer mirrors, but the review mirror can be a camera and it will combine three cameras, including a wireless camera on the trailer, to create a 'transparent trailer' view on the Nav screen. Oh...and the 3400+ base payload means no matter what, there will be enough for 15% hitch on a 12k lb trailer plus 1000lb in the cab.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Something is seriously wrong with this picture.

I'm beginning to think a Sierra 2500HD Denali, which is less expensive than a loaded Limited or Laramie Longhorn, might be an option to be considered. It not only comes with real, functioning trailer mirrors, but the review mirror can be a camera and it will combine three cameras, including a wireless camera on the trailer, to create a 'transparent trailer' view on the Nav screen. Oh...and the 3400+ base payload means no matter what, there will be enough for 15% hitch on a 12k lb trailer plus 1000lb in the cab.
Then you'd be stuck with that pathetic attempt of a luxury interior.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Then you'd be stuck with that pathetic attempt of a luxury interior.

You forgot that ridiculous Sierra tailgate.

But I'd know what is happening behind the truck without and aftermarket setup and a screen mounted on top of the dash. And the truck would have the towing and payload capacity, no questions asked.

What I really want is a modern Yukon XL 2500...one with a real 2000+ lb payload capable of towing a 10k trailer. If only FCA would turn the Ram into a wagon. They wouldn't even need a third row of seats.

geotex1

Reaction score
What I really want is a modern Yukon XL 2500...one with a real 2000+ lb payload capable of towing a 10k trailer. If only FCA would turn the Ram into a wagon. They wouldn't even need a third row of seats.

You just missed your dream then! I sold my 2004 Yukon 2500 XL SLT 8.1L that was pristine with 56K on it and I added factory NAV from a later model and installed the reverse cam too. Big floating rear, 4.10s, hydroboost. Tow 10K all day long and yield you an average of 10.3mpg.

The big, powerful SUVs will be no more because they do not fit into the EPA compliance scheme automakers are now committed to.

My very well optioned Laramie has a sticker CCC of 1580#, but I have a fully loaded Laramie Longhorn with 5300# available.

CCC and overall capability of modern 1/2 ton trucks is down due to consumer profile they now cater too, and where they fit in the brand line up for governmental compliance.

Last edited:

DavidNJ

Reaction score
You just missed your dream then! I sold my 2004 Yukon 2500 XL SLT 8.1L that was pristine with 56K on it and I added factory NAV from a later model and installed the reverse cam too. Big floating rear, 4.10s, hydroboost. Tow 10K all day long and yield you an average of 10.3mpg.

The big, powerful SUVs will be no more because they do not fit into the EPA compliance scheme automakers are now committed to.

My very well optioned Laramie has a sticker CCC of 1580#, but I have a fully loaded Laramie Longhorn with 5300# available.

CCC and overall capability of modern 1/2 ton trucks is down due to consumer profile they now cater too, and where they fit in the brand line up for governmental compliance.

I think the dream would have been a 2014 with Quadrasteer. :)

All in all, very disappointed. A 3/4-ton is just too big...doesn't fit parking spots, to high for the wife to comfortably use. And I like the idea of a 4-wheel air suspension. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

geotex1

Reaction score
I think the dream would have been a 2014 with Quadrasteer. :)

All in all, very disappointed. A 3/4-ton is just too big...doesn't fit parking spots, to high for the wife to comfortably use. And I like the idea of a 4-wheel air suspension. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

AH, then what you really mean is your fantasy! The big SUVs were downgraded long before 2014. In fact, my 2004's configuration was the highest towing capacity that GM ever had in the big SUVs. I had to laugh last night when I saw Ford's new commercials boasting the Expedition with 9K towing capacity!

Quadrasteer just adds unnecessary parts and weight in my opinion compared to minimal maneuvering advantage. Given I have driven on- and off-road trucks of every size and configuration over four decades, an extra point or two turn is no big deal, but this is YOUR fantasy, not mine! :p

Personally, I don't know why you say a 3/4-ton is too big. The 3/4-ton RAMs are not that much larger than the 1/2-tons unless you're comparing the shortest bed 1500. I'd understand comparing against a 1-ton long bed dually like my 4th Gen... Good step boards solve the wife access issue easily - my wife is a foot shorter than me! Funny story, when I came home with the 5th Gen, she said that's the lowest full-size truck I've ever owned - she's right too!

When you look to purchase a truck these days with the intention of using it as a truck, there are compromises to be made regardless of brand! You should understand all sorts of compromise, oppression, choices made by others for you - you are in New Jersey!!! Couldn't resist - born and raised in Jersey and endured for way too long before coming to my senses!

DavidNJ

Reaction score
AH, then what you really mean is your fantasy! The big SUVs were downgraded long before 2014. In fact, my 2004's configuration was the highest towing capacity that GM ever had in the big SUVs. I had to laugh last night when I saw Ford's new commercials boasting the Expedition with 9K towing capacity!

Quadrasteer just adds unnecessary parts and weight in my opinion compared to minimal maneuvering advantage. Given I have driven on- and off-road trucks of every size and configuration over four decades, an extra point or two turn is no big deal, but this is YOUR fantasy, not mine! :p

Personally, I don't know why you say a 3/4-ton is too big. The 3/4-ton RAMs are not that much larger than the 1/2-tons unless you're comparing the shortest bed 1500. I'd understand comparing against a 1-ton long bed dually like my 4th Gen... Good step boards solve the wife access issue easily - my wife is a foot shorter than me! Funny story, when I came home with the 5th Gen, she said that's the lowest full-size truck I've ever owned - she's right too!

When you look to purchase a truck these days with the intention of using it as a truck, there are compromises to be made regardless of brand! You should understand all sorts of compromise, oppression, choices made by others for you - you are in New Jersey!!! Couldn't resist - born and raised in Jersey and endured for way too long before coming to my senses!

The 2500 is much cruder than the 1500. I don't like the live front axle. I don't like the look in general. The camera system is behind the GMC. The rear air suspension is nice. Air bags can be added to anything. If all I did was tow...given what's available...a 2500 with 5th wheel/gooseneck trailer would be a good choice. Right now, I would need a daily driver that can tow 10x/year and also handle my transport needs. The Yukon XL 2500 did both. I'm guessing the 1500 with a tire change could handle the load, but the short bed with minimal weather sealing isn't the same. What if it rains before unload veneer 4x8 plywood? No big deal in the Yukon XL....

Just very disappointed with the options...bad and worse. And the 1500 could probably have had 600-800 lb added to the GVWR and rear GAWR with little more than a tire (and maybe a wheel change).

On Quadrasteer, there are several times I've been caught it tight situations including getting in/out of my driveway which has a fire hydrant directly across the street in front of it.

Damion

Reaction score
Just went and checked mine 1459lbs. Crew cab, Hemi, 5.7 bed, 4x4 ,3.21, panoramic roof, level 2 equip pkg. Seems its one of the higher ones I've seen....

Users who are viewing this thread