5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the GVWR, GCWR, and rear gear ratios for the new Hurricane Trucks.

Jmac509

Reaction score
I might be off base here but I was under the assumption a large part of the tow rating was determined by the ability of the brakes and suspension to control a trailer under heavy braking more so than it was determined by the actual horsepower of the vehicle. If you look at horsepower and tow ratings from vehicles of yesteryear they had half the horsepower available to us today.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I might be off base here but I was under the assumption a large part of the tow rating was determined by the ability of the brakes and suspension to control a trailer under heavy braking more so than it was determined by the actual horsepower of the vehicle. If you look at horsepower and tow ratings from vehicles of yesteryear they had half the horsepower available to us today.
Correct. Why we are saying SAE J2807

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
From that chart.

The old 3.6L V6 Etorque... 2330 payload 7550 towing.

The new (did it change...🤔) 3.6L Etorque...2300 payload 8100 towing.

🍿

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The fact that the HO is less than the hemi - that's a very large red flag. Again, it's a lighter engine, making tons more power, it should at worst case be equal to the old max tow (accounting for the weight difference in trims).

Again, max tow (SO tradesman) went down vs the hemi tradesman, despite the SO making more power and being a lighter engine. If the ram's GCWR was limited by weight, then the max tow should have gone up by the difference in weight between the hemi and the SO. But it went down. How do you explain that?

If you remember correctly. The max towing Hemi had that Super Dana 60, and I still have never found one someone has purchased.

Gonna guess it got dropped. (Which might be that huge discrepancy on GCWR...🤔?)

🍿

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So we're decided then. Ram is definitely on drugs :)

The rear axle ratio is supposed to be 3.92. Haven't heard about the Dana.

In any case I remain skeptical about the tow ratings on these new hurricanes. I'll stick with my hemi, regardless of what the ratings are, can't put a unit on duty cycles and until they're confident in putting the hurricane in the 2500 like they did with the hemi for years, I want no part of it.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
they're confident in putting the hurricane in the 2500 like they did with the hemi for years, I want no part of it.
Just to be clear, I am not arguing with @silver billet

We have had many conversations over the years. He just happened to be the one who entertained my brainstorm today.

They did get rid of the 5.7 Hemi in the HeftyDuty and it always had less GVWR than the 6.4 for the final years. It never really was a HD engine.

I own both in a 2015 version. And a 2003 version. I can attest to the 5.7 not being a true HD engine like the 8.0l V10 and 6.4 BGE. Cause I own a 488 Magnum also..🥰

silver billet

Reaction score
Just to be clear, I am not arguing with @silver billet

We have had many conversations over the years. He just happened to be the one who entertained my brainstorm today.

They did get rid of the 5.7 Hemi in the HeftyDuty and it always had less GVWR than the 6.4 for the final years. It never really was a HD engine.

I own both in a 2015 version. And a 2003 version. I can attest to the 5.7 not being a true HD engine like the 8.0l V10 and 6.4 BGE. Cause I own a 488 Magnum also..🥰

Yes the tow rating was less than the 6.4. But that's kind of my point, gcwr is a function of the truck (suspension etc) as well as engine performance and cooling. Normally it's safe to assume an engine that makes tons more power can pull more, but thats not the case with the HO even when we try to add and account for the weight of the luxurious trim. Perhaps the tow charts will shed some light on this when they come out.

My guess the reason they got rid of the 5.7 was because it was no longer competitive with other base engine offerings in terms of tow ratings and power output. But there were no issues with reliability due to duty cycle.

The 5.7 showed that it could take the beating of a heavy duty truck. I'm just not confident these turbo engines ate anywhere near as tough though I admit that is more speculation based on past history of small turbos.

Also not arguing, just trying to figure out what ram is doing.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I said GVWR. But GCWR is less also. And the 5.7L in the 2500 is detuned quite a bit from its 1500 counterpart to live in that duty cycle.

GCWR is set by the SAE J2807. It does not change by trim level. It is the configuration of the truck. So 2/4wd, Cab, bed, engine, transmission and rear gear.

Max towing changes by trim level, and whatever different options in each trim level.

And, obviously in this case, whatever the brochure writer is smoking.

Another thing to understand. The Hemi that got that high max tow rating, was a 2wd quad cab, with the super dana 60 rear.

The HO will not be offered in a quad cab...and will the higher trims even have 2wd available?

I could be wrong about this, but doesn't that big hammer Chevy puts in their 1500 also have a reduced tow rating compared to the base V8...? I don't research other trucks, so it was just something I thought I and read during the...Why can't we get a 6.4 in the 1500 posts here.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Guess, we need to find out some info on the transfer case now too. It has drove modes now. Well, ain't that gonna look nice next to the purse. Screenshot_20240426-153619.png

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I should have started this discussion, with the word MAINLY in that first sentence.

Anyways. Maybe it is those new stupid tow mirrors causing too much drag on the max tow trucks...🤣

MT755

Reaction score
Yes. And that validates my point. We can. A probable one.

BECAUSE, We Don't KNOW The GVWR of the new truck.

But, let's do that.

If the truck continues with a 7100 GCWR we can with that chart.

GCWR equals base weight plus max towing

Old Hemi
(7100 minus 1940) plus 12750 Equals 17910. Well gee, that's ****ed up right there. LIES!!!!

NEW SO
(7100-1910)+11560=16750... 🤔. Now did this include the driver hitch allowance from J2807...cause the Hemi obviously didn't.

New HO
(7100-1370)+10740=16470...🤔...is this marketing mistake(because they screwed the pooch on the Hemi by 910 lbs)...the HO gets 280 less than the SO.

Oh, wait, we don't know rear gear either...what if it is a lower or higher gear.

3.21 hemi only gets 13900 GCWR.

Well, anyone know the rear gear selections.

🍿
Just adding to this discussion...
I believe the ho is available in 4x4 models only adding weight, reducing payload and towing.

silver billet

Reaction score
I said GVWR. But GCWR is less also. And the 5.7L in the 2500 is detuned quite a bit from its 1500 counterpart to live in that duty cycle.

GCWR is set by the SAE J2807. It does not change by trim level. It is the configuration of the truck. So 2/4wd, Cab, bed, engine, transmission and rear gear.

Max towing changes by trim level, and whatever different options in each trim level.

And, obviously in this case, whatever the brochure writer is smoking.

Another thing to understand. The Hemi that got that high max tow rating, was a 2wd quad cab, with the super dana 60 rear.

The HO will not be offered in a quad cab...and will the higher trims even have 2wd available?

I could be wrong about this, but doesn't that big hammer Chevy puts in their 1500 also have a reduced tow rating compared to the base V8...? I don't research other trucks, so it was just something I thought I and read during the...Why can't we get a 6.4 in the 1500 posts here.

GM does it a little different, they offer a max tow package which can be had on multiple trims and with the 5.3 and the 6.2, possibly the diesel too. But the highest tow rating is with the 6.2 as one would expect. The weight difference between engines is simply not enough to overcome the bigger difference in power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online