5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the GVWR, GCWR, and rear gear ratios for the new Hurricane Trucks.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The reduced HO tow rating tells the story, I bet it has issues with staying cool (for a start).
The reduced tow rating is because it is only available in the heavier trucks.

This is why tow ratings really just need to be overlooked.

Unless you can produce a reduced GCWR rating (because I have to admit, I haven't looked) it is the base weight of the truck, and the charts are scheduled due the base weight of the trim.

I rarely stop in anymore, so I am using this reply to get someone to post me a link to, or a screenshot of, the new tow charts...🍿

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The reduced tow rating is because it is only available in the heavier trucks.

I don't agree. Yes the truck is a little heavier, but that would be more of an issue for payload and not max tow/GCWR.

The HO is significantly more powerful than the SO and the hemi. I don't have all the numbers off the top of my head but at most there is like 800 pounds difference between a limited and a tradesman. With all that extra power, the HO in a limited should still have a GCWR higher than the hemi or SO. The reason it doesn't isn't because of weight, but probably due to cooling. Turbo engines get crazy hot when towing heavy up hills etc, especially one this small working this hard and producing that kind of power output.

Physics is still physics. This is why Ford doesn't use ecoboosts in their F250s but instead uses large NA v8s. They live longer, easier to work on/maintain, and probably get better MPG when loaded as well.

This is why tow ratings really just need to be overlooked.

Unless you can produce a reduced GCWR rating (because I have to admit, I haven't looked) it is the base weight of the truck, and the charts are scheduled due the base weight of the trim.

I rarely stop in anymore, so I am using this reply to get someone to post me a link to, or a screenshot of, the new tow charts...🍿
I mostly agree with the rest of this though. As far as I know there are no tow charts yet, I've been looking too.

silver billet

Reaction score
As a further point re: max tow, the max tow went down using the SO vs the hemi. Yet it has more power and its a lighter engine. So either the tradesman grew fat over 2025, something changed in the J2807, or the little whizzers aren't as strong as the paper suggests, or there are cooling issues (very likely) etc.

The fact that the HO is less than the hemi - that's a very large red flag. Again, it's a lighter engine, making tons more power, it should at worst case be equal to the old max tow (accounting for the weight difference in trims).

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As a further point re: max tow, the max tow went down using the SO vs the hemi. Yet it has more power and its a lighter engine. So either the tradesman grew fat over 2025, something changed in the J2807, or the little whizzers aren't as strong as the paper suggests, or there are cooling issues (very likely) etc.

The fact that the HO is less than the hemi - that's a very large red flag. Again, it's a lighter engine, making tons more power, it should at worst case be equal to the old max tow (accounting for the weight difference in trims).
Because. The HO is not rated in a Tradesman trim!

The point of my first post!

Now I remember why I stopped coming here.

silver billet

Reaction score
@silver billet I had more hope for you.

GCWR minus base weight equals max towing!

🤯

GCWR is set using the J2807, which I know you know. The question is, why is the GCWR not higher for the HO? We know the J2807 has tests for acceleration and for not overheating while pulling up the davis dam etc. I think you're saying the GCWR is limited not by those tests but by frame/suspension or axle limitations (meaning more power won't increase the GCWR), I'm not so sure; I'm suggesting something in the cooling is preventing the SO and HO from increasing their GCWR ratings. They have more power by a wide margin over the hemi, so the GCWR would not be limited by acceleration tests (0 to 30) etc in the j2807.

Again, max tow (SO tradesman) went down vs the hemi tradesman, despite the SO making more power and being a lighter engine. If the ram's GCWR was limited by weight, then the max tow should have gone up by the difference in weight between the hemi and the SO. But it went down. How do you explain that?

Because. The HO is not rated in a Tradesman trim!
Yes we know that.

Now I remember why I stopped coming here.

If I'm wrong, feel free to point it out.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
GCWR is set using the J2807, which I know you know. The question is, why is the GCWR not higher for the HO? We know the J2807 has tests for acceleration and for not overheating while pulling up the davis dam etc. I think you're saying the GCWR is limited not by those tests but by frame/suspension or axle limitations (meaning more power won't increase the GCWR), I'm not so sure; I'm suggesting something in the cooling is preventing the SO and HO from increasing their GCWR ratings. They have more power by a wide margin over the hemi, so the GCWR would not be limited by acceleration tests (0 to 30) etc in the j2807.

Again, max tow (SO tradesman) went down vs the hemi tradesman, despite the SO making more power and being a lighter engine. If the ram's GCWR was limited by weight, then the max tow should have gone up by the difference in weight between the hemi and the SO. But it went down. How do you explain that?

Yes we know that.

If I'm wrong, feel free to point it out.
You said max tow. I asked if anyone could produce GCWR. You, yourself said you haven't seen a tow chart.

Now you are saying you know GCWR.

So which is it?

Are you still basing this on a Max tow number (WHICH I HAVE SCREAMED FOR YEARS IS A USELESS FABRICATED NUMBER) ?

Or did you find it in the last 15 mins? You know the J2807 Gross Combined Weight Rating.

silver billet

Reaction score
You said max tow. I asked if anyone could produce GCWR. You, yourself said you haven't seen a tow chart.

Now you are saying you know GCWR.

So which is it?

Are you still basing this on a Max tow number (WHICH I HAVE SCREAMED FOR YEARS IS A USELESS FABRICATED NUMBER) ?

Or did you find it in the last 15 mins? You know the J2807 Gross Combined Weight Rating.

Somebody a while ago posted the max tow for the SO and HO. I don't remember who, but it was just a marketing pic and not the actual tow charts. That's how we know the SO max tow went down vs the hemi.

I will try and find it back later on if somebody else doesn't post it first.

I agree that the max tow/GCWR is "fabricated", you can't actually pull that weight; but it's like EPA MPG ratings. It gives you a point of reference, as long as everybody is using the same tests and they're not cheating, then they give a good indication of which truck is doing better when it comes to towing or fuel efficiency.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Gross Combined Weight Rating for the 5.7 with 3.92 is 17k

A Tradesman with 1800 lbs of payload is used for MAX TOW. (DONT BE A SMART ***, EACH YEAR IS SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT...I JUST WENT WITH A EASY NUMBER...I can consult the tow charts and give exact numbers)

So 7100 GVWR

Speaking of ....what is the GVWR of the new 2025 trucks...if anyone has that.

7100 minus 1800 equals 5300.

17000 minus 5300 equals 11700

Now we get a Laramie longhorn with 1023 pounds of payload

7100 minus 1023 equals 6077

17000 minus 6077 equals 10923...but, but BUT then it is payload limited and that stupid ridiculous MAX TOW number has to be lowered even more. By 300 for passengers and was it 50 or 100 for hitch. To help your argument, let's just say 350, So max tow is 10573.

With a hemi.

What is the max towing with the HO?

Or did you find a GCWR of less than 17000 lbs?

With the GCWR, I will agree. With the max tow number, it is smoke and mirrors!

Honestly, I only replied to this thread to find out the GCWR of the truck.

Have a great day!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Somebody a while ago posted the max tow for the SO and HO. I don't remember who, but it was just a marketing pic and not the actual tow charts. That's how we know the SO max tow went down vs the hemi.

I will try and find it back later on if somebody else doesn't post it first.

I agree that the max tow/GCWR is "fabricated", you can't actually pull that weight; but it's like EPA MPG ratings. It gives you a point of reference, as long as everybody is using the same tests and they're not cheating, then they give a good indication of which truck is doing better when it comes to towing or fuel efficiency.
GCWR is not fabricated. Max Tow is.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

With a hemi.
What...What...max tow for the HO hurricane is...

No can't be...10740...😁

But I have to admit...I need to redo the math...figure out what ******** allowance they are using on the new dream scheme.

That didn't show GCWR by the way, for anyone following along...

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gross Combined Weight Rating for the 5.7 with 3.92 is 17k

A Tradesman with 1800 lbs of payload is used for MAX TOW. (DONT BE A SMART ***, EACH YEAR IS SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT...I JUST WENT WITH A EASY NUMBER...I can consult the tow charts and give exact numbers)

So 7100 GVWR

Speaking of ....what is the GVWR of the new 2025 trucks...if anyone has that.

7100 minus 1800 equals 5300.

17000 minus 5300 equals 11700

Now we get a Laramie longhorn with 1023 pounds of payload

7100 minus 1023 equals 6077

17000 minus 6077 equals 10923...but, but BUT then it is payload limited and that stupid ridiculous MAX TOW number has to be lowered even more. By 300 for passengers and was it 50 or 100 for hitch. To help your argument, let's just say 350, So max tow is 10573.

With a hemi.

What is the max towing with the HO?

Or did you find a GCWR of less than 17000 lbs?

With the GCWR, I will agree. With the max tow number, it is smoke and mirrors!

Honestly, I only replied to this thread to find out the GCWR of the truck.

Have a great day!
1714149690460.png

silver billet

Reaction score
GCWR is not fabricated. Max Tow is.

I think we're discussing two different things. Max tow is not fabricated anymore than GCWR, it's simply a calculated result using GCWR and curb weight of the lightest possible trim/truck.

If you mean that the truck used in the max tow calculation for getting the curb weight, is not likely to exist in the real world, yes, agreed. But for the purposes of this discussion its suggesting to me that since max tow went down on the 2025 "unicorn truck", when it should have gone up since the hemi is heavier, then something odd is happening to the GCWR.

We can use the max tow to work backwards and calculate a probable GCWR. Right? If you have any 2 variables you can find the third.

So weight goes down in the 2025 (SO is lighter vs the hemi), curb weight of the unicorn truck(s) should be very similar (tradesman weight itself hasn't really changed, the truck is pretty much identical year to year for the 5th gen) yet max tow also goes down. That is the question. Why?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We can use the max tow to work backwards and calculate a probable GCWR. Right? If you have any 2 variables you can find the third.
Yes. And that validates my point. We can. A probable one.

BECAUSE, We Don't KNOW The GVWR of the new truck.

But, let's do that.

If the truck continues with a 7100 GCWR we can with that chart.

GCWR equals base weight plus max towing

Old Hemi
(7100 minus 1940) plus 12750 Equals 17910. Well gee, that's ****ed up right there. LIES!!!!

NEW SO
(7100-1910)+11560=16750... 🤔. Now did this include the driver hitch allowance from J2807...cause the Hemi obviously didn't.

New HO
(7100-1370)+10740=16470...🤔...is this marketing mistake(because they screwed the pooch on the Hemi by 910 lbs)...the HO gets 280 less than the SO.

Oh, wait, we don't know rear gear either...what if it is a lower or higher gear.

3.21 hemi only gets 13900 GCWR.

Well, anyone know the rear gear selections.

🍿

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes. And that validates my point. We can. A probable one.

BECAUSE, We Don't KNOW The GVWR of the new truck.

But, let's do that.

If the truck continues with a 7100 GCWR we can with that chart.

GCWR equals base weight plus max towing

Old Hemi
(7100 minus 1940) plus 12750 Equals 17910. Well gee, that's ****ed up right there. LIES!!!!

NEW SO
(7100-1910)+11560=16750... 🤔. Now did this include the driver hitch allowance from J2807...cause the Hemi obviously didn't.

New HO
(7100-1370)+10740=16470...🤔...is this marketing mistake(because they screwed the pooch on the Hemi by 910 lbs)...the HO gets 280 less than the SO.

Oh, wait, we don't know rear gear either...what if it is a lower or higher gear.

3.21 hemi only gets 13900 GCWR.

Well, anyone know the rear gear selections.

🍿
To correct a number and add more speculation.

Screenshot_20240426-133448.png

I couldn't remember if it was 50 or 100 for hitch. Turns out it is 75.

So, 375 needs added to get to GCWR.

The Hemi is already botched by 910lbs so it is actually botched by 1285. Using SAEJ2807, GCWR would be 18250. Or if we assume they forgot to use it...17535. But either way, they ****ed up.

Assuming they did it right with SO and HO. The math would be a GCWR of 17125 for the SO 16835 for the HO. That is interesting. And would be a win and a loss in this conversation.

But, if for some reason they went with say 3.55 for fuel mileage and power (and to end that endless 3.21/3.92 debate) that would be cool.

Guess I got to go searching the interwebs for GVWR, GCWR and rear gear ratio.

Oh, and I really like the idea of the RHO. And the inline 6 in general...wish it was a slant (IFYKYK)

And to the point about the F250 not using the ecobust...neither is our brands HeftyDuty....😁

I got 3 Hemis in the Pasture...I am kinda thinking about this new SO truck if it really does have a GCWR higher than the Hemi.

Users who are viewing this thread