5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the estimated longevity of the Pentastar V6?

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looking at the Tracker spreadsheet, i noticed there is not much love for the V6. Very few ordered with that engine.
I can see that, the city mpg is not much better and the resale is rough.

I owned a 2014 Crew 2wd with 3.55s and the 3.6 overall I loved it, I towed with several times and it never let me down. the one thing I hated, was the engine sound, I just could not get used to it.

GregHBNA

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I can see that, the city mpg is not much better and the resale is rough.

I owned a 2014 Crew 2wd with 3.55s and the 3.6 overall I loved it, I towed with several times and it never let me down. the one thing I hated, was the engine sound, I just could not get used to it.
The V6 just does alot of gear hunting. At some times, it just seems the engine is bogged down.
The engine sound is definitely different than the smooth hemi.
The V6 in the charger is much louder and even "whiney".
But that Pentastar is in A LOT of FCA vehicles.

gustavoyankee71

Reaction score
My 2013 grand caravan 3.6 l Pentastar is a great vehicle, I normally travel from Vancouver to Los Ángeles twice per month, it has 623,250 km on it and still running great, I have it since 2015, I got it when she had 62,000 and since I put more than 500k on it.
I change transmission at 415k, timing chain was replaced twice 225 k and 485k, radiator replaced at 465k but am proud about it engine never been open. Next Monday I go back to Vancouver, also we travel always loaded with one ton. In both ways.

GregHBNA

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My 2013 grand caravan 3.6 l Pentastar is a great vehicle, I normally travel from Vancouver to Los Ángeles twice per month, it has 623,250 km on it and still running great, I have it since 2015, I got it when she had 62,000 and since I put more than 500k on it.
I change transmission at 415k, timing chain was replaced twice 225 k and 485k, radiator replaced at 465k but am proud about it engine never been open. Next Monday I go back to Vancouver, also we travel always loaded with one ton. In both ways.
sounds something like an AI robot would type. Are we being trolled here?

jonfav306

Reaction score
sounds something like an AI robot would type. Are we being trolled here?
No sir, that gentleman is most likely French-Canadian. So when he writes in English, it’s a little more blunt than how we’d write here in the states!

jonfav306

Reaction score
Throwing my two cents in here and also hoping for some feedback. I have a 2019 Big Horn with 138k. It’s been a mostly great truck but just had multiple valve, rocker, and lifter failure on the passenger side. Dealer charged $2600 then took off 10% for military and first responder, so that helped thankfully. Replaced one cam as well. My question is how likely is it for the drivers side to go soon? I love this truck but the little things have drove me nuts. The 4wd issues being the main thing. Actuator went out at 77k and the intermediate shaft is worn down to nothing causing vibration at 70mph. About to attempt to pull that passenger side assembly and rebuild it. Dealer quoted $3770 to replace the whole front diff. Other than these things, it’s been the typical complaints; chincy windshield that a grain of salt can break, leaky back window that stained the headboard, starter at 80k which isn’t too bad, windshield washer line cracking, and that’s about it. All things considered, I haul about 600lbs of tools in the back every day, have a 2” lift with 34s and I average 16-17mpg over various terrains in Virginia and the family loves the space inside the truck. Just hoping I can squeeze another 100k miles out of this truck to ideally pay it off at a minimum.

Black_Widow1500

Reaction score
Just purchased my 2024 Ram 1500 V6 etourque Night Edition. It drives so smooth and less quiet than a Hemi. I live in the city so that's well enough for me. I see a mix of mpg on these, I'm yet to do my test on mpg but over all this truck is perfect. Will be my daily driver.

Users who are viewing this thread