5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the best way to remove overspray on studs for side steps

Bwarren2

Reaction score
I am going to try to install my steps today and curious what is the best method to remove the overspray on the studs. thanks

Whiskey_tango

Reaction score
The wire wheel method didn't work well for me. Ended up using a die with an impact driver. That has to be the fastest way.

rsonedecker

Reaction score
I am going to try to install my steps today and curious what is the best method to remove the overspray on the studs. thanks
8mx1.25 Class 8 nut and an impact drill, up and down a couple times and your golden. Easy. Just did the prep this morning myself, done in 10 min.

Bwarren2

Reaction score
8mx1.25 Class 8 nut and an impact drill, up and down a couple times and your golden. Easy. Just did the prep this morning myself, done in 10 min.

Thanks, I've read an impact drill can break the studs

rsonedecker

Reaction score
Don’t think my porter cable cordless impact drill has the torque to do that. You could probably just use a regular drill. Or elbow grease.

wwalljr

Reaction score
The wire wheel method didn't work well for me. Ended up using a die with an impact driver. That has to be the fastest way.

This is interesting. I must not have had much overspray. I ran the wire wheel over them and could turn the nuts on by hand mostly. Your method is about perfect however.

Whiskey_tango

Reaction score

I have a Snapon set. If you don't already have the die, it might not be as cost effective as a wire wheel. I used a 1/8 drive impact, but you could also just use a ratchet.

insipid

Reaction score

I used a Dremel rotary with wire wheel attachment. Seemed like it took forever to do all of them but wasn't very difficult. I did go thru a few wire wheel attachments since it wore the brushes down.

Pressgrove

Reaction score
I put DeeZee boards on mine yesterday. Their bracket kit actually came with a thread die. That said, the overspray on mine wasn't bad at all. I could run the die up by hand (although I used a ratchet to prevent my wrist from getting tired).

One of the studs along the center of the driver side was worse than the others, but overall even it was much less than I expected after reading about the problem in this forum. I wonder if the the issue has been improved on more recent builds due to complaints?

Lonestar21

Reaction score
I used just thin coat of paint remover and then went over it with a wire brush attached to my regular drill and it did the job. Pretty quick probably took less than 30 mins to remove the overspray from all bolts.

Bwarren2

Reaction score
I put DeeZee boards on mine yesterday. Their bracket kit actually came with a thread die. That said, the overspray on mine wasn't bad at all. I could run the die up by hand (although I used a ratchet to prevent my wrist from getting tired).

One of the studs along the center of the driver side was worse than the others, but overall even it was much less than I expected after reading about the problem in this forum. I wonder if the the issue has been improved on more recent builds due to complaints?

I had one on the passenger side with an absued amount, the others were easy

Users who are viewing this thread