5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the best tailgate seal? Not a bed cover question.

Dog Hauler

Reaction score
I searched and found a couple of other threads where people asked for info on the best tailgate seals but there were no answers or the responses quickly morphed to discussions about bed covers and how well they did or didn't seal. I have a Retrax electric retractable cover and devised various solutions to make it water tight, not to mention eliminate the interference between the Retrax seal and the Rambox lids. So I'm not asking about bed covers or whether they leak and how to seal them.

What I'd like is input from folks who installed tailgate seals at the bottom and along the sides of the tailgate. What seal does the best job of sealing out dust? My guess is that in the absence of a biblical downpour and highway speeds, water getting into the bed from the gaps at the bottom or sides of the tailgate isn't an issue. But, dust getting into the bed especially when driving over dirt or gravel roads is a certainty. What seals that out the best?

Thanks for any information.

Dog Hauler

Reaction score
@Edwards: I didn't see that in my search, though it was buried 8 pages deep in a bed cover thread so I hope I'm not faulted too badly for sloppy search techniques.

Anyway, thanks much for the tip. I plan to order the product straightaway.

silverbullet

Reaction score
@Edwards: I didn't see that in my search, though it was buried 8 pages deep in a bed cover thread so I hope I'm not faulted too badly for sloppy search techniques.

Anyway, thanks much for the tip. I plan to order the product straightaway.
I think you'll be happy with that seal from Amazon. I had one included in my tri fold cover. I have it installed with the cover and a bedrug and it's probably sealed better than my home. I did it along the bottom of the tailgate and sides. Easy install; take the time and it will look like it belongs there for sure.

Reaction score
Edit - Never mind.... read a few posts on another thread.

Is there an answer as to how to eliminate the interference with the retrax seal and the ramboxes? Just installed Retrax one MX and I cannot open my Ramboxes all the way. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

abel3111

Reaction score
Edit - Never mind.... read a few posts on another thread.

Is there an answer as to how to eliminate the interference with the retrax seal and the ramboxes? Just installed Retrax one MX and I cannot open my Ramboxes all the way. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I just installed Retrax Pro on 2020 Ram Rebel with Rambox and multifunction tailgate and have same issue with Rambox not opening all the way. Did you figure out a solution or to the seals get more Pliable after more use allowing the Ram box to open more over time?

Wheeler

Reaction score
Attempt with weather strip from home depot. Next month 400 miles road trip coming up. Let's see how does it perform. IMG_20191221_132531.jpg IMG_20191221_132455.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20191221_132531.jpg
    IMG_20191221_132531.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 84

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
That looks cool for the bottom. I think my dripping is from the top.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got a generic tailgate seal with my soft tonneau cover. The directions said to "invert" the seal on the bottom if the gate is very close to the bed when it's shut, so that's what I did.

Here's how I sealed my tailgate (no RAM boxes and no MFT):

Seal_1.jpg

Seal_2.jpg

Seal_3_Arrows.jpg

I haven't been down any really dusty roads but it's done a good job so far keeping stuff out and I did not have any water intrusion during our last decent rain that I had (driving and parked).

I've still got about 8" left of the seal that I didn't use in case I need to add more pieces.

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I got a generic tailgate seal with my soft tonneau cover. The directions said to "invert" the seal on the bottom if the gate is very close to the bed when it's shut, so that's what I did.

View attachment 86931

View attachment 86932

View attachment 86935

I haven't been down any really dusty roads but it's done a good job so far keeping stuff out and I did not have any water intrusion during our last decent rain that I had (driving and parked).

I've still got about 8" left of the seal that I didn't use in case I need to add more pieces.
Thanks for this. I have the side and bottom . In the last pic, I don’t have the top two seals. I’ll try this. Thanks!

ALSHEKAILI

Reaction score

View attachment 86931

View attachment 86932

View attachment 86935

Hello mate, I saw this looks like a foam strip or rubber on the sides of the cover. did you Installed them? can you please share more about them ?

Seal_3_Arrows2.jpg

DeanM2

Reaction score
just put a hard top and carpet kit in my 2023 Big Horn, so wanted to seal the tailgate. I used the ESI kit that includes some "regular" size foam tubing, and a short length of large size foam tubing. I got everything sealed up except the bottom 1/3 of each of the sides. The gap there was HUGE. I ordered some more of the large size seal from ESI, and it was able to fill the gap. Very happy with the ESI seal(s).

Users who are viewing this thread