5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Is Ram’s Upcoming Range Electric Paradigm Breaker (REPB) Pickup?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How many hours do you need to wait for it to charge after plugging said power pack in?

Also it will only weigh 150lbs and cost $1500 right?
Even the etorque battery is $1500 and that can't even power the truck with the size of it.

Will need to call roadside assistance and they will show up with a Cummings and a generator to plug into for an hour or so.

Gives people lots of time to see the retard that ran out of electricity on the side of the highway so that they never make that mistake again (and Probbly sell their EV)

Cummins.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Going a couple miles down the road for beer, Then coming home to charge your car for 8 hours so you can do it again tomorrow. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think they are more designed for short tofu, granola and grape nuts runs.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't remember which company it was, but someone has it where you can plug two cars together and transfer power from one to the other. I don't know how fast/slow the transfer is, though.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Without the coercion of the federal government, none of this would even be happening. The technology is not there and the market knows it.

My truck can go 700+ miles and only take 10 minutes (or less) to regain that full range. I can run the air conditioner at max cold for that entire time. If I tow, I only lose a little range (obviously depending on size and weight).

Other than the remote pollution that electric vehicles produce. Coal fired plants are a thing...and as clean as they are, they are dirtier than modern ICE.

So, ignoring the increased pollution (albeit at a remote location) that electric vehicles produce, they have abysmal real-life range. They have abysmal recharge rates. They have abysmal recycling potential.

I'm sure, eventually, there will be good EVs. I'm not going to hold my breath.
Depending on where a person lives and their utility the mix if production varies but most of us don't get exclusively coal power. I buy 100 wind and solar power through a program offered by my utility but even without that my utility generates generates 60% of its electricity from carbon neutral sources. All that aside even elec from coal power in the U.S. is cleaner than tailpipe emissions. I also save significant money with my plug-in hybrid van with about 3/4 of my miles on electricity but zero range issues on long trips. Sure full BEV trucks have a way to go before they make sense for a full-time tow vehicle but they are getting better quickly and the range loss is often over exaggerated and talked about like ice trucks don't also lose range. My hemi ram loses about 35% range when I tow a 3,000 lbs travel trailer.

Attachments

• 2021-upper-midwest-energy-mix.jpg
    2021-upper-midwest-energy-mix.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 8

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Depending on where a person lives and their utility the mix if production varies but most of us don't get exclusively coal power. I buy 100 wind and solar power through a program offered by my utility but even without that my utility generates generates 60% of its electricity from carbon neutral sources. All that aside even elec from coal power in the U.S. is cleaner than tailpipe emissions. I also save significant money with my plug-in hybrid van with about 3/4 of my miles on electricity but zero range issues on long trips. Sure full BEV trucks have a way to go before they make sense for a full-time tow vehicle but they are getting better quickly and the range loss is often over exaggerated and talked about like ice trucks don't also lose range. My hemi ram loses about 35% range when I tow a 3,000 lbs travel trailer.
Source?

I don't see anywhere getting 60% renewables.
I will link my source...
Minimum of 60% is not-renewables, I think you inverted your graph....

You also talk about tailpipe emissions, there already are PZEV vehicles that run on 100% gas.
Have you even driven by a factory before in your life? The amount of emissions coming from cars\trucks is a joke compared to factory's with no constraints. You are not buying an EV to be good to the environment, at least not in the current state of the world and resources.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Source?

I don't see anywhere getting 60% renewables.
I will link my source...
Minimum of 60% is not-renewables, I think you inverted your graph....

You also talk about tailpipe emissions, there already are PZEV vehicles that run on 100% gas.
Have you even driven by a factory before in your life? The amount of emissions coming from cars\trucks is a joke compared to factory's with no constraints. You are not buying an EV to be good to the environment, at least not in the current state of the world and resources.
I said my electricity is 100% renewable because of the program I'm in - the graph shows that my utility generates 60% of power from carbon neutral sources (not renewable) in large part due to nuclear generation. Yes EV's are overall more environmentally friendly than ICE vehicles on average as established in multiple peer reviewed studies

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Following that “train” of thought…

How much more power and efficiency could they get out of today’s trucks by simply copying locomotive principles…diesel generator (Cummins) powering 2-4 electric motors? Eliminates the driveshaft, transfer case, differentials, and associated losses. Produces mind-boggling torque from zero RPM. Enables ridiculous range. Hmm…

Okay, I digress.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Following that “train” of thought…

How much more power and efficiency could they get out of today’s trucks by simply copying locomotive principles…diesel generator (Cummins) powering 2-4 electric motors? Eliminates the driveshaft, transfer case, differentials, and associated losses. Produces mind-boggling torque from zero RPM. Enables ridiculous range. Hmm…

Okay, I digress.

Diesel locomotives are built the way they are because they need massive amounts of torque that can't be delivered through conventional transmission tech.

For them, weight is not an issue.

They are not more efficient due to the double conversion losses.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Diesel locomotives are built the way they are because they need massive amounts of torque that can't be delivered through conventional transmission tech.

For them, weight is not an issue.

They are not more efficient due to the double conversion losses.
This is (perhaps) off topic, and we’d need to do the actual math for a pickup truck, but Wikipedia’s sources confirm my points on locomotives:

“Diesel–electric powerplants became popular because they greatly simplified the way motive power was transmitted to the wheels and because they were both more efficient and had greatly reduced maintenance requirements.”

Back on topic…it’s still unclear what the “best” (most practical and sustainable) energy storage medium to replace gasoline will be in the future - batteries, hydrogen, etc. We have more to learn/discover.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’d say a plug in hybrid would be a good compromise. True, full EV’s don’t have tailpipe emissions, but the emissions created to manufacture it are far greater that of an ICE vehicle. It takes years upon years for the EV to actually be carbon neutral. The difference is the emissions are just generated elsewhere as opposed to the tailpipe.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’d say a plug in hybrid would be a good compromise. True, full EV’s don’t have tailpipe emissions, but the emissions created to manufacture it are far greater that of an ICE vehicle. It takes years upon years for the EV to actually be carbon neutral. The difference is the emissions are just generated elsewhere as opposed to the tailpipe.
Case in point - China. I would wager their major cities contain more noxious gasses than all the EV vehicles in the U.S. combined could offset

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Case in point - China. I would wager their major cities contain more noxious gasses than all the EV vehicles in the U.S. combined could offset
Yup! It doesn’t matter to them, they just want to keep us under their thumb. It’s smoke and mirrors, and kick backs to big tech company donors.

Last edited:

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll not write what I want to write about where the minerals for batteries are mined, or the ecological costs of that mining, or the human misery.

Instead, I'll just congratulate those who feel they're doing something with moral purpose when they buy their battery driven cars.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'll not write what I want to write about where the minerals for batteries are mined, or the ecological costs of that mining, or the human misery.

Instead, I'll just congratulate those who feel they're doing something with moral purpose when they buy their battery driven cars.
They must feel good! Like my neighbor who has to plan his trip around where the charging stations are. It’ll take him 3 hours longer than me on a trip due to out of the way charging stops.

At least he gets free “ gas” at his moms house because he charges it using coal the whole time he’s visiting

Seems logical 🤷🏻‍♂️

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Here is what we know about the Production Ram 1500 BEV & REPB Pickup!​

Production Will Be Unveiled In The Upcoming Months...​

1673442156514.png

What could be one of the most important launches for the Ram brand over the next decade, the Ram 1500 battery-electric vehicle (BEV) and its range electric paradigm breaker (REPB) variant are critical steps forward as the automotive industry moves toward electrification.

HemiDude

Reaction score
Maybe I missed it somewhere, but have any dimensions been published? The photos I have seen appear to make this truck look smaller than a current DT, and that bed sure looks less useful than the short bed I have now.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it somewhere, but have any dimensions been published? The photos I have seen appear to make this truck look smaller than a current DT, and that bed sure looks less useful than the short bed I have now.
I am also very curious on the dimensions - I have a crew cab 6'4" bed because I need that bigger bed for camping etc. and the 5'7" bed in too much of a compromise for me. TFL mentioned in their video that the Rev concept has a bed similar in size to the current offering which I took to mean it is approx 5'7" but for me this wouldn't be such a big issue given the midgate of the new design and with the midgate open the bed is apparently more than 8ft long. I always put a topper on my trucks so am also thinking a topper with the midgate could be really awesome.

HemiDude

Reaction score
I am also very curious on the dimensions - I have a crew cab 6'4" bed because I need that bigger bed for camping etc. and the 5'7" bed in too much of a compromise for me. TFL mentioned in their video that the Rev concept has a bed similar in size to the current offering which I took to mean it is approx 5'7" but for me this wouldn't be such a big issue given the midgate of the new design and with the midgate open the bed is apparently more than 8ft long. I always put a topper on my trucks so am also thinking a topper with the midgate could be really awesome.
I agree that the midgate would help alleviate some space issues, but these latest pics look like they have the bed separated from the cab

Users who are viewing this thread