5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is Gear Limit anyway?

Nibis

Reaction score
So while we are kind of asking, what does this or that do, What does tow/haul do for you?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I am also new trucks and especially my cummins diesel engine. But am i understanding this correctly? If i am towing a travel trailer, which i will be, and when going up a hill, i would want to use this feature and lock the gear in 6th (in my case i only have 6 gears)? Is there any other situation where i would want to lock it in 5th, 4th, 3rd, etc?

Any insight would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure your truck has this same feature. But it's for keeping the engine in the rpm range where it produces the most power for climbing hills. I'm not familiar with the CTD powertrain, and don't really know how that transmission works. If you have the capability to limit gear changes, it would certainly benefit your truck as well. The gear you select depends on how steep the hill is, and how much of a load you're towing/hauling. It's all about keeping the engine rpms in the range where it produces the most power.

Last edited:

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So while we are kind of asking, what does this or that do, What does tow/haul do for you?

Tow/Haul changes the shift points and patterns of the driveline for towing/hauling loads ..

Users who are viewing this thread