5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is Gear Limit anyway?

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Still somewhat of a truck noob, so general question: It’s been established here that the gear limit feature can be used to override cylinder deactivation....but what does it really do? Under what circumstances would you want to limit your high gear?

Ram41313

Reaction score
Still somewhat of a truck noob, so general question: It’s been established here that the gear limit feature can be used to override cylinder deactivation....but what does it really do? Under what circumstances would you want to limit your high gear?
Might want to use it when towing something.

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you are going down hill, usually towing, you can lower the gears instead of braking. That helps the breaks from over heating.
Thanks guys! Good to know, even though I don’t have to worry much about descending hills in South Louisiana!

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Coming from a Durango RT with paddle shifters .. I like to use the gear limit to hold the vehicle from speeding up while going downhill (aka engine braking) .. keeps me from having to hold the brake pedal and heating up the brakes -- as long as you pay attention to the RPMs, the engine will be fine .. I'm told the trans will be fine too ,, that may be another story :)

On city streets, we like to "lock" or "limit" top gear in 8th so the ECO mode never kicks in. Better throttle response and less lag, etc. (unless you purchase something like the Pedal Commander)

PLEASE, FCA? CAN WE GET A "SPORT" MODE BUTTON AND TUNE ??

Narg

Reaction score
I wish they'd show the gear in the DIC display no matter if the limiter was on or off. Oh well.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's also helpful in an off roading or slippery situation. You want to keep the revs up in the power band without the transmission upshifting and downshifting which could cause unexpected traction loss

MikeP

Reaction score
How does this override the cylinder deactivation? What harm might we expect by doing this?

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
How does this override the cylinder deactivation? What harm might we expect by doing this?

Our trucks have 8 speed transmissions. If you push the minus sign on the limiter, gear "8" will be displayed in the selection area. Obviously this is the highest gear. In that setting, gears are not limited but MDS is deactivated. If you do not do this procedure, there will be no gear displayed in the selection area and the MDS is active. No harm done by deactivating MDS, just don't get the advantage of improved fuel economy that MDS facilitates.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Our trucks have 8 speed transmissions. If you push the minus sign on the limiter, gear "8" will be displayed in the selection area. Obviously this is the highest gear. In that setting, gears are not limited but MDS is deactivated. If you do not do this procedure, there will be no gear displayed in the selection area and the MDS is active. No harm done by deactivating MDS, just don't get the advantage of improved fuel economy that MDS facilitates.
FYI - If you want the gear display always on, you can enable that in settings.

Cheers,

IMG_5144.jpeg

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
The Hemi shuts down 4 cylinders while maintaining speed, you’ll see the green ECO light on your display if you have it set to display. But if you set the gear limit on 8, you have all your gears available, but it won’t shut off cylinders. Sort of a bypass of Eco mode.
No damage, just allowing the engine to run smooth with all 8 cylinders and avoiding a sometimes unwelcome exhaust note shift.
Spot on!

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You skipped a few details. Such as, you have to shift to D first. It will display the gear the trans is currently in. If you haven’t started moving yet it will display 1. If you’re driving 25 it might display 5. Point is, you Can push the + button until it displays 8. Shifting out of D always turns off gear limit and turns on MDS. So if you want to keep MDS disabled you need to do this every time you shift into D.

MDS benefit varies. You’ll probably see the most benefit on longer flat highway driving. I see no measurable difference on my daily commute, which has lots of hills and hardly ever see the MDS active.

Pola0502ds

Reaction score
I am also new trucks and especially my cummins diesel engine. But am i understanding this correctly? If i am towing a travel trailer, which i will be, and when going up a hill, i would want to use this feature and lock the gear in 6th (in my case i only have 6 gears)? Is there any other situation where i would want to lock it in 5th, 4th, 3rd, etc?

Any insight would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am also new trucks and especially my cummins diesel engine. But am i understanding this correctly? If i am towing a travel trailer, which i will be, and when going up a hill, i would want to use this feature and lock the gear in 6th (in my case i only have 6 gears)? Is there any other situation where i would want to lock it in 5th, 4th, 3rd, etc?

Any insight would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on you ..
- I use mine when driving on the local military base (MPH is 20, so I lock mine into 2nd or 3rd to keep from speeding).
- When going up hill (I have Highway Gears compared to Street Gears), so I keep a lower gear to limit my trans from upshifting and causing the RPMs to go lower than 1200 and bogging down the engine (which then it downshifts again).
- When I go downhill, I limit mine to 3rd or even 2nd so I don't have to ride the brakes down the hill to my home.
- When driving to lunch with my co-workers, I may or may not hit the "-" sign to lock it into 8th to keep it from going into ECO mode. This gives me more of a throttle response and not having to wait for the transmission to downshift or exit ECO mode to build up a bit of speed ..

I don't use it all the time, but I do use it from time to time.

My 5 cents of thoughts :)

Users who are viewing this thread