5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is Electronic Shift-On-Demand Transfer Case?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Obviously this is an old thread but obviously the rebel does now come with this option. Can someone explain the difference between chowing this option on the rebel or not choosing what the rebel would come with than
Standard equipped rebel 4x4 gets the transfer case with this switch cluster- 936010D7-DDCC-4FE4-82CA-E9791C8FDD7B.jpeg
Here’s the build sheet for the rebel in that pic- https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=1C6SRFET7MN632143

If you choose the electronic shift on demand transfer case, you will get the transfer case for this switch cluster- 8C8FEFB7-A9E6-44D6-B995-8525F46DCF12.jpeg
Here’s the build sheet for the rebel in that pic, with shift on demand listed in the options- https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=1C6SRFLM3MN692724

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Far upper left in the shifter panel: 4WD AUTO. That's the difference.

What does it mean when driving? Scroll back and see my previous response.
i meant. in the other stuff 😂 not the panel i understand the different tranfser case kinda one is chain and one is electronic but what about rebels with the electronic transfer case that have the 4wd auto

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
i meant. in the other stuff 😂 not the panel i understand the different tranfser case kinda one is chain and one is electronic but what about rebels with the electronic transfer case that have the 4wd auto
What is your question? Exactly.

As far as the ELocker. Every off road group truck(except tradesman) has the 4wd auto and eLocker.

You can get the elocker as a package or separate....the elocker only comes with 3.92 if you get it as part of the off road group or rebel. If you get it as stsnd alone...you can pick the ratio.

That was to answer another question i saw.

The only noticable difference between a Rebel with 4wd auto and one with out...is the selector switch. Everything else is the same on a similarly equipped truck

Ram_702

Reaction score
Just confirming here that the electrician shift on demand transfer case is standard on the 2022 Limited 4X4? Anyone have that info?
TIA.

TSL

Reaction score
What is your question? Exactly.

As far as the ELocker. Every off road group truck(except tradesman) has the 4wd auto and eLocker.

You can get the elocker as a package or separate....the elocker only comes with 3.92 if you get it as part of the off road group or rebel. If you get it as stsnd alone...you can pick the ratio.

That was to answer another question i saw.

The only noticable difference between a Rebel with 4wd auto and one with out...is the selector switch. Everything else is the same on a similarly equipped truck
Hi devildodge, quick question if I may: Looking on ramtrucks.com I see, for the 2022 Rebel 4x4 that "Elec Shift on Demand Transfer Case" is Available, while "Elec Shift on the fly P/Time T/Case" is Standard.
I'm trying to parse the difference between those two options. I think the first one is basically the "4Auto" selector switch option on the shifter panel ? Not totally sure what the other one is. Asking as considering purchase of either a Laramie with OffRoad Group or a Rebel. Since I'm new to trucks, trying to educate myself ahead of time on drive train technology and feeling that 4Auto might be safer for a "novice", since running 4H in the wrong circumstances can do damage. I live in the Pacific Northwest where snow is occasional and when it happens the first mile or two from my house will be "sketchy" and after that the roads are usually plowed. Just one example of where I feel 4Auto might be appropriate from what I've learned.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi devildodge, quick question if I may: Looking on ramtrucks.com I see, for the 2022 Rebel 4x4 that "Elec Shift on Demand Transfer Case" is Available, while "Elec Shift on the fly P/Time T/Case" is Standard.
I'm trying to parse the difference between those two options. I think the first one is basically the "4Auto" selector switch option on the shifter panel ? Not totally sure what the other one is. Asking as considering purchase of either a Laramie with OffRoad Group or a Rebel. Since I'm new to trucks, trying to educate myself ahead of time on drive train technology and feeling that 4Auto might be safer for a "novice", since running 4H in the wrong circumstances can do damage. I live in the Pacific Northwest where snow is occasional and when it happens the first mile or two from my house will be "sketchy" and after that the roads are usually plowed. Just one example of where I feel 4Auto might be appropriate from what I've learned.

You pretty much summed it up. 4wd auto is the difference and 4wd auto is good to have for a novice owner. And for spotty dry and slippery pavement.

Either transfer case has pros and cons.

The 4wd auto sounds like a great choice for you.

With the Laramie you can only get the 4wd Auto.

With the REBEL...and only the REBEL...you get a choice.

Just for info.. The tradesman only gets the part time...so no choice there either

Radman

Reaction score
this is on a few Rebel 4x4 with Hemi 5.7 I am looking at, so a bit confused why some window stickers have it, and some dont.. and i dont see it on the online configurator
I'm picking up my 2022 Rebel next week. It indeed does have the 4 auto transfer case. My 2019 Bighorn Classic had it too.

Radman

Reaction score
4 auto is great! I use it all the time here in Pennsylvania during the winter. Never had an issue with it and never got stuck either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online