5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What I think Stellantis should have done with Hurricane engine.

Jake1050

Reaction score
I know I'm old school but I think 3 liters is a little too small. I think instead of keeping the 3.6 Pentastar as the base engine they should have just made the I6 Hurricane a 3.6 liter and used a NA version as a replacement for the base engine. Then a single turbo as the mid output option and a twin turbo as the high output version. They could make them 350, 450, and 550 Hp respectively. That would be less than 100 HP per liter on the NA engine which is pretty easy to do. With that being said I'd probably go with the base engine option.

I know I'm old school but I think 3 liters is a little too small. I think instead of keeping the 3.6 Pentastar as the base engine they should have just made the I6 Hurricane a 3.6 liter and used a NA version as a replacement for the base engine. Then a single turbo as the mid output option and a twin turbo as the high output version. They could make them 350, 450, and 550 Hp respectively. That would be less than 100 HP per liter on the NA engine which is pretty easy to do. With that being said I'd probably go with the base engine option.
I'd have thought 4.0 would be a good starter size. Don't know about the single turbo, though. Considering how much trouble they seem to have making an exhaust manifold that spans only four cylinders, would it be sane to go for six? Or maybe they could put a slide joint in it like some of the big diesels. Idle speculation. 🤷‍♂️

That would have been good. Even a 3.0 no turbo for the base engine would have satisfied most. It could have been good for 285 hp. They could have consolidated parts even more. Bye bye to the old pentastar. Lol

Last edited:
Hurricane 3.6L sounds cool, I mean you have a Ecoboost 3.5L, why not. Though the I6 configuration makes it cool, plus it makes more power than the Raptors Ecoboost in HO spec already, can imagine with a bit more displacement.

. Bye bye to the old pentastar. Lol

Not quite yet. IF the Ramcharger holds true to current spec when produced/released, the 3.6 Pentestar is the gas motor for that truck. But I get what you’re saying….as a standard, only engine in the RAM.

Nah. The 3.6L V6 is cheap and already well established, no reason to replace it. FCA did explore turbocharging it last decade and decided not to go that route.

The Hurricane ended up at 3.0L because of its relation to the 2.0t I4 motor. It has the same bore and stroke (84 × 90 mm) and the same cylinder spacing as the 2.0t. Not an uncommon relation, as modular engine designs got extremely popular across many manufacturers last decade.

Nah. The 3.6L V6 is cheap and already well established, no reason to replace it. FCA did explore turbocharging it last decade and decided not to go that route.

The Hurricane ended up at 3.0L because of its relation to the 2.0t I4 motor. It has the same bore and stroke (84 × 90 mm) and the same cylinder spacing as the 2.0t. Not an uncommon relation, as modular engine designs got extremely popular across many manufacturers last decade.
It's a 3.0 mostly because they want to use it in Europe. In some of those countries, an engine over 3.0 is heavily taxed.

The hemi shouldn’t have been dropped completely. People are so salty because it was dropped completely and they have a right to be. A better solution would have been making the hems an optional engine upgrade where the hurricane was still standard for a few years and then used that data to determine if they want to get rid of it or not. At least that was they could say hey the hurricane is selling better and have a reason to drop it instead of just dropping it.

The hemi shouldn’t have been dropped completely. People are so salty because it was dropped completely and they have a right to be. A better solution would have been making the hems an optional engine upgrade where the hurricane was still standard for a few years and then used that data to determine if they want to get rid of it or not. At least that was they could say hey the hurricane is selling better and have a reason to drop it instead of just dropping it.
They didn’t want to do that because the global climate cult makes them pay millions in penalties for having v8s. It’s all a BS tax

They didn’t want to do that because the global climate cult makes them pay millions in penalties for having v8s. It’s all a BS tax

Or maybe make them compliant so you don't have to pay those penalties? Ford and GM are keeping their V8s.

Or maybe make them compliant so you don't have to pay those penalties? Ford and GM are keeping their V8s.
That could work too. Not sure if those companies are still paying a ton of penalties, but can afford it due to more revenue than Stellantis. Or maybe Stellantis is just more into the “green” stuff than they are? I just don’t agree with the “purchase carbon credits to offset blah blah blah” which I’m sure you know lol

That could work too. Not sure if those companies are still paying a ton of penalties, but can afford it due to more revenue than Stellantis. Or maybe Stellantis is just more into the “green” stuff than they are? I just don’t agree with the “purchase carbon credits to offset blah blah blah” which I’m sure you know lol

Agree, and definitely think they just have the budgets to do what they want. I think Stellantis choose the most economical choice (in terms of R&D money) in the Hurricane, since they can use it in more products down the Stellantis line beyond just big trucks and SUVs.

I also think Stellantis doesn't understand how important the "Hemi" is to the Dodge and RAM line of vehicles. I mean Ford has been harping Ecoboost motors since 2010 or so, yet still offer the V8 in their trucks and made sure the next gen Mustang had it. The Charger/Challenger are so ingrained with the Hemi V8, yet they are EV & Hurricane only. I guess they will find out when the sales numbers come out these following years how smart of a decision it was to go just this route.

It’s the overall fleet. Ford and GM can make as many V8’s as they want because their V8 programs are much more modern at the core and they have several EV’s and Hybrids for almost every model. Not a huge impact on their fleet wide average, so they continue to develop and sell them, and don’t they pay any fines either. Ford is also working on a V8 hybrid based on a few patents released and comments by Farley recently, so that will buy their V8 program even more time (likely until ICE is outlawed at this point). GM is similar, they have several hybrid and electric models rolling out, and have invested in a new gen small block V8. Likely also hybrid. Ram/Dodge didn’t have the efficiency fleet-wide to be able to maintain a V8 program.

It’s the overall fleet. Ford and GM can make as many V8’s as they want because their V8 programs are much more modern at the core and they have several EV’s and Hybrids for almost every model. Not a huge impact on their fleet wide average, so they continue to develop and sell them, and don’t they pay any fines either. Ford is also working on a V8 hybrid based on a few patents released and comments by Farley recently, so that will buy their V8 program even more time (likely until ICE is outlawed at this point). GM is similar, they have several hybrid and electric models rolling out, and have invested in a new gen small block V8. Likely also hybrid. Ram/Dodge didn’t have the efficiency fleet-wide to be able to maintain a V8 program.
So Stellantis decided to not invest in modernizing the V8. That’s a huge kick in the bollocks to the brand and the customers.

I also can’t see the ICE being outlawed completely. There’s so many negatives to having an EV for most people. And scientists are learning more and more that EVs don’t reduce emissions as the they would have you believe. Most recently discovered that the additional weight causes tire emissions to go off the charts.

I really hope that an alternative fuel source will come for ICE.

So Stellantis decided to not invest in modernizing the V8. That’s a huge kick in the bollocks to the brand and the customers.

I also can’t see the ICE being outlawed completely. There’s so many negatives to having an EV for most people. And scientists are learning more and more that EVs don’t reduce emissions as the they would have you believe. Most recently discovered that the additional weight causes tire emissions to go off the charts.

I really hope that an alternative fuel source will come for ICE.
It really depends on who is in power. Currently some state governors have mandated that new ICE equipped vehicle sales will not be legal (in about a dozen states) after a certain date. I don't see that happening in about half the states, but it could happen at a federal level at some point. Facts about how green EV's are or aren't, or whether there will be infrastructure to support EV's (or any number of other facts) don't seem to matter. Only time will tell.

Yea Battery powered vehicles are being forced down peoples thoughts instead of letting the market decide if they want them. We will now have vehicles that are about 50% heavier wearing out the roads faster, chargers need to be installed everywhere which is already starting to be an eyesore. The biggest thing is all the mining that goes into getting the raw materials for the batteries is far worse than what you see with oil extraction, and then their is the disposal of the batteries.

Yea Battery powered vehicles are being forced down peoples thoughts instead of letting the market decide if they want them. We will now have vehicles that are about 50% heavier wearing out the roads faster, chargers need to be installed everywhere which is already starting to be an eyesore. The biggest thing is all the mining that goes into getting the raw materials for the batteries is far worse than what you see with oil extraction, and then their is the disposal of the batteries.
Exactly. IMO It’s not about the environment. It’s about making certain people rich and controlling the population.

Neither should be outlawed. We should be able to choose which ever one we want

Last edited:
That’s really what perplexed me with the Hurricane was the effort and dollars spent for how fast the deadlines are coming for no internal combustion in Europe and many US states. Much of its target market is NLA in 5 years. Seems like a rather lousy investment that won’t realize typical ROI. That money would have been better served developing a TRUE hybrid system for the existing 5.7 Hemi platform imo. Development costs would have been significantly lower and would have extended product life cycle to the end date. A faster return could have been realized too, and no new machining equipment necessary.

One thing GM has been good at post bankruptcy is business sense. Running the small block architecture and refining it is cost effective with good results. The Ford 5.0 is a great engine, but so much $$ poured into the modular V8 program with compression, fueling, dual overhead cams and the variable timing systems. GM refined the small block with DI and a single VCT pretty effectively. Just takes more cubic inches, but guarantee GM realizes better returns. GM also doesn’t update it every 3 years like Ford, making it even more economical to run with. I’d bet the LT (5.3 and 6.2) is one of the cheapest engines to produce and makes them good $$.

That’s really what perplexed me with the Hurricane was the effort and dollars spent for how fast the deadlines are coming for no internal combustion in Europe and many US states. Much of its target market is NLA in 5 years. Seems like a rather lousy investment that won’t realize typical ROI. That money would have been better served developing a TRUE hybrid system for the existing 5.7 Hemi platform imo. Development costs would have been significantly lower and would have extended product life cycle to the end date. A faster return could have been realized too, and no new machining equipment necessary.

One thing GM has been good at post bankruptcy is business sense. Running the small block architecture and refining it is cost effective with good results. The Ford 5.0 is a great engine, but so much $$ poured into the modular V8 program with compression, fueling, dual overhead cams and the variable timing systems. GM refined the small block with DI and a single VCT pretty effectively. Just takes more cubic inches, but guarantee GM realizes better returns. GM also doesn’t update it every 3 years like Ford, making it even more economical to run with. I’d bet the LT (5.3 and 6.2) is one of the cheapest engines to produce and makes them good $$.

GM's half ton v8's are absolute trash. They are far worse with engine failures than the hemi ever was, check out their forums. Their 6.6 is very nice because despite it being basically the same engine but with an iron block, it doesn't have any MDS type system (they call it AFM/DFM) which is what is killing the 5.3 and 6.2.

The 5.0 has gotten quite reliable recently.

As for the hybrid 5.7; hard pass. The 5.7 was great all by itself, no need to make it more complicated with etorque and hybrid. I think they made the right move with the upcoming ram charger, same idea but using a smaller engine (the 3.6). Depending on cost, that could be a contender for me if I crashed my truck because I have no plans to ever sell it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Back