5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What I think Stellantis should have done with Hurricane engine.

It's a 3.0 mostly because they want to use it in Europe. In some of those countries, an engine over 3.0 is heavily taxed.

I'd love to hear what European vehicles this would've been made for and why we haven't seen one yet. There's two brands in the Stellantis empire with vehicles large enough to warrant the Hurricane: Maserati and Alfa. Maserati is completely focused on continuing to use their Nettuno 3.0 V6 which has its origins in a Ferrari motor. Alfa has been very mum about what ICE powerplants will be available for its products on STLA Large, but I have a feeling they're going to be using a 2.0t I4 + hybrid setup whenever possible in Europe while focusing on EV version sales primarily. Any Alfa using the Hurricane will likely have the majority of its sales here in the U.S. Also note the Grand Cherokee, which does sell in Europe, will not be getting the Hurricane anywhere.

Hurricane engine development started in 2017 with engineering being done in the U.S. We were always the primary market for this motor.

That could work too. Not sure if those companies are still paying a ton of penalties, but can afford it due to more revenue than Stellantis. Or maybe Stellantis is just more into the “green” stuff than they are? I just don’t agree with the “purchase carbon credits to offset blah blah blah” which I’m sure you know lol

GM and Ford don't pay these penalties because their lineup wasn't focused on the "brotherhood of muscle" (Dodge) and such. They had full lineups of fuel sippers and loud fun ICEs which allowed them to fleet standards. Stellantis (really FCA) did not and literally paid the price. That's it.

That’s really what perplexed me with the Hurricane was the effort and dollars spent for how fast the deadlines are coming for no internal combustion in Europe and many US states. Much of its target market is NLA in 5 years. Seems like a rather lousy investment that won’t realize typical ROI. That money would have been better served developing a TRUE hybrid system for the existing 5.7 Hemi platform imo. Development costs would have been significantly lower and would have extended product life cycle to the end date. A faster return could have been realized too, and no new machining equipment necessary.

One thing GM has been good at post bankruptcy is business sense. Running the small block architecture and refining it is cost effective with good results. The Ford 5.0 is a great engine, but so much $$ poured into the modular V8 program with compression, fueling, dual overhead cams and the variable timing systems. GM refined the small block with DI and a single VCT pretty effectively. Just takes more cubic inches, but guarantee GM realizes better returns. GM also doesn’t update it every 3 years like Ford, making it even more economical to run with. I’d bet the LT (5.3 and 6.2) is one of the cheapest engines to produce and makes them good $$.

The Hurricane is going to see very limited, if any, use in Europe. This is a U.S.-centric issue and development started in 2017 which was a much different time. Hybrids would've been nice to see but as you can tell by the F150 it's really not something the truck market is looking for. It's quite telling that Toyota, king of the hybrids, keeps their hybrid Tundra as an upgrade and also decided against refining their V8 and went for a twin turbo V6 instead.

The emissions issue with the Hemi is unfortunate but its clear that design was at the end of its life.

Last edited:
I'd love to hear what European vehicles this would've been made for and why we haven't seen one yet. There's two brands in the Stellantis empire with vehicles large enough to warrant the Hurricane: Maserati and Alfa. Maserati is completely focused on continuing to use their Nettuno 3.0 V6 which has its origins in a Ferrari motor. Alfa has been very mum about what ICE powerplants will be available for its products on STLA Large, but I have a feeling they're going to be using a 2.0t I4 + hybrid setup whenever possible in Europe while focusing on EV version sales primarily. Any Alfa using the Hurricane will likely have the majority of its sales here in the U.S. Also note the Grand Cherokee, which does sell in Europe, will not be getting the Hurricane anywhere.

Hurricane engine development started in 2017 with engineering being done in the U.S. We were always the primary market for this motor.

GM and Ford don't pay these penalties because their lineup wasn't focused on the "brotherhood of muscle" (Dodge) and such. They had full lineups of fuel sippers and loud fun ICEs which allowed them to fleet standards. Stellantis (really FCA) did not and literally paid the price. That's it.

The Hurricane is going to see very limited, if any, use in Europe. This is a U.S.-centric issue and development started in 2017 which was a much different time. Hybrids would've been nice to see but as you can tell by the F150 it's really not something the truck market is looking for. It's quite telling that Toyota, king of the hybrids, keeps their hybrid Tundra as an upgrade and also decided against refining their V8 and went for a twin turbo V6 instead.

The emissions issue with the Hemi is unfortunate but its clear that design was at the end of its life.
From what I've scene the Tundra Hybrid is pretty much a waste of money. All it does is add weight and complexity with no real fuel savings and a lot of people said they can't feel the power difference.

Magnuson’s all-new, fully redesigned Jeep 3.6L V6 supercharger system is designed exclusively for 2018-2021 (non-eTorque applications) Wrangler (JL) and Gladiator (JT) vehicles. Magnuson’s engineers have created a truly remarkable product by carefully matching a TVS1900 supercharger to operate in its peak thermal efficiency zone for almost the entire engine duty cycle. The result is super low inlet air temps for massive gains in horsepower and torque, producing V8 levels of performance at an extremely affordable price.

In stock trim with no other system modifications, this kit provides an AMAZING 440 hp AND 380 lb-ft OF TORQUE at the crank, equivalent to ~372 REAR WHEEL HP. That’s an incredible 59% more power than the stock V6.

01-19-36-003-BL_hood_1_2048x.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Back