5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What have you spent on customization?

How much have you spent on accessories/customization?

• Less than $100

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • $100-249

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $250-$499

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • $500-$999

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • $1,000-$2,499

Votes: 31 29.8%
  • $2,500-$4,999

Votes: 31 29.8%
  • Over $5,000

Votes: 34 32.7%

• Total voters

jessed1

Reaction score
Hmm, had to change my vote from under 1k to 1-2.5k... Remembered the billstein and gator EFX... Totally forgot about the Datinfab underseat storage, the bedrug, the LineX, and the Crown. Even if I replace the rims (someone chewed on one), I should still be under 2500... Probably.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Feeling good about keeping my spendig reasonable but the forums doesn't help
$2129
900 tires - good i like the oem rims
465 - great deal on a hard roll up cover
300 - bora wheel spacers
142 bed extender
192 belltech leveling strut
64 husky splash guards
32 screen protector
23 tailgate lock
11 hitch cover

Still thinking about the hellwig sway bar and or rear shocks

BigD

Reaction score
Looks like I'm definitely in the minority. I've spent $150 total so far on some weathertech floor mats for the front because I work in the mud all day doing new construction. Got the tonneau roll up cover for free from the dealer when I purchased the truck because I'm a small business owner. That's it. Had the truck 2 years now. Piece of OSB in the bed for a bedliner I got for free. I used carpet before that. Got the truck paid off in 1 year. Feels great to be driving around in a nice truck with only 21,000 miles on it completely debt free !!!

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like I'm definitely in the minority. I've spent $150 total so far on some weathertech floor mats for the front because I work in the mud all day doing new construction. Got the tonneau roll up cover for free from the dealer when I purchased the truck because I'm a small business owner. That's it. Had the truck 2 years now. Piece of OSB in the bed for a bedliner I got for free. I used carpet before that. Got the truck paid off in 1 year. Feels great to be driving around in a nice truck with only 21,000 miles on it completely debt free !!!
nice, that was me early in the year with a 4th gen, but it was a quad cab, 2 wheel drive. upgraded to crew 4x4. And at the time it looked like I got a super return deal on the 4gen. Had i waited a month I would had gotten another 3-5 grand for the 4th gen because the used prices keep going up and up

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Got ya beat, $0. First time I've never touched a vehicle that I've owned but I'm keeping this one stock for a little while, or maybe my full ownership, who knows.

I've had 4 rams and have always done at least a few things to them to make them more to my liking, but for some reason I'm just not tempted with this one as much.

Edit: I guess I have to correct the $0, I did buy the back seat hammock and door covers for when we take our dog with us. So I guess I've spent about $60-70 on "customization" albeit not anything all that fun. Although having the dog with us is of course great!

Last edited:

Tgryphon

Reaction score
Ugh.
6” lift, wheels, tires about 6k
Peragon bed cover 1k
Ceramic window tint all around $500
Vinyl smoke tail lights/wrap both bumpers $700
Bed liner and two swing cases 1k
Bed step $200
Led bulbs all around $400
Neoprene seat covers $700
Pedal commander and TazerDt $500
Misc other things
Rough total $11000

MileHi Guy

Reaction score
My Leer topper was $3,000 alone. Not sure about the rest but in total I'm sure I'm over $5k. But I do enjoy driving it!

bankr

Reaction score
Only have had it for a couple months now, but just getting the lift/wheels/tires/flares w/labor will be $10k+. Hopefully that will be the last significant spend on this truck because it has everything else.

BigD

Reaction score
So I'm just curious, are the people who are spending thousands on mods for a new truck taking out a 2nd loan to pay for all this, or do all u guys just have that much extra cash sitting in your bank accounts ? I mean the truck payments alone on these rigs are insane to begin with, let alone buying new tires, wheels, lift kits etc on a brand new truck. U guys must all make 6 figures or be in debt up to your eyeballs !!

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
So I'm just curious, are the people who are spending thousands on mods for a new truck taking out a 2nd loan to pay for all this, or do all u guys just have that much extra cash sitting in your bank accounts ? I mean the truck payments alone on these rigs are insane to begin with, let alone buying new tires, wheels, lift kits etc on a brand new truck. U guys must all make 6 figures or be in debt up to your eyeballs !!
Three things:
1) I bought a truck that I knew I could afford and still pay for the mods I wanted. Would I have wanted a Longhorn instead of a Bighorn? Yeah maybe, but would I have been able to afford to mod the Longhorn like I’m modding my Big Horn? Probably not.
2) I’m a firm believer that if I have to finance the mod to afford it, then I can’t afford it.
3) You’d be amazed how much money you save when you do everything yourself.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got ya beat, $0. First time I've never touched a vehicle that I've owned but I'm keeping this one stock for a little while, or maybe my full ownership, who knows.

I've had 4 rams and have always done at least a few things to them to make them more to my liking, but for some reason I'm just not tempted with this one as much.

Edit: I guess I have to correct the $0, I did buy the back seat hammock and door covers for when we take our dog with us. So I guess I've spent about $60-70 on "customization" albeit not anything all that fun. Although having the dog with us is of course great!
What are the door covers? Our dogs, one mainly, are bad about putting their feet up on the doors and looking out the window. I'd like to protect that area.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Fully comprehend your post.
Not crazy with mods, DiamondBack cover was a big hit but I keep my vehicles long term (still have my 2001 Dodge Ram SLT) and can justify the expense for the added security and benefits. At age 66 other expenses (3 college tuitions, funding retirement accounts, mortgage) have passed. Early investing in retirement accounts can lead to big rewards in the future, this may take some discipline and delayed gratification.

As far as paying for it all - spending my 3 sons inheritance.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A 33+ year career as an engineer in the merchant marines has been good to me. Having a wife that has been wise with the money sure hasn't hurt.

And spending our son's inheritance too. 🙃

Last edited:

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Three things:
1) I bought a truck that I knew I could afford and still pay for the mods I wanted. Would I have wanted a Longhorn instead of a Bighorn? Yeah maybe, but would I have been able to afford to mod the Longhorn like I’m modding my Big Horn? Probably not.
2) I’m a firm believer that if I have to finance the mod to afford it, then I can’t afford it.
3) You’d be amazed how much money you save when you do everything yourself.

There’s a lot to be said for #1 … I went with Laramie Sport Level 1 …. Everything I wanted, and a bunch of extra fancy that I didn’t …. Didn’t hurt that I got $15k out of my 2012 either
2b855754a2990932bfbcd909028cf516.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
There’s a lot to be said for #1 … I went with Laramie Sport Level 1 …. Everything I wanted, and a bunch of extra fancy that I didn’t …. Didn’t hurt that I got $15k out of my 2012 either
2b855754a2990932bfbcd909028cf516.jpg
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Niceee! I was $7k upside down on my previous car (because I was young and dumb), so right off the bat that was $7k less truck I could buy. But when I found my truck for $39k brand new, I was sold!

Users who are viewing this thread