5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Fuel is everyone using?

DannyMc

Reaction score
I run 87 (mostly from Costco). I ran a test a few weeks ago...had to make the same 90 mile trip a week apart. Ran 87 first time and got 20.8. Ran blend (21 of 33 gallons was premium) and got 20.4. Truck has about 2500 miles on it. Both trips were 80% interstate, temps in mid 90s, with intense rain (3-4”/hour) for about 25 miles each week. I was in Auto4x4. Not worth 31 cents/gal for 4 tenths of a MPG. No noticeable difference in power on the premium tank. Will step up when I’m towing for additional octane.

Brisoup1

Reaction score
I average about 12.4 mpg on 87 octane and 13.8 mpg on 89 octane (80% stop & go driving and 20% highway driving) I average 18.8 mpg during highway driving on 89 octane. The verdict is still out on weather it's worth paying a extra .25 cent a gallon for 89 octane fuel.

Raydar

Reaction score
I've only run a few tanks through mine, but I found that 87 doesn't provide as much power when I'm passing on a 2 lane road. The engine just seems to go flat at higher revs. I'm (correctly or incorrectly) blaming that on "knock retard" - i.e. reduced spark advance, due to octane induced spark knock. And no... I didn't actually hear it. The knock sensor is likely much more sensitive than my ears.
Running 89 seems to have helped. It also seems to provide a little better economy, but it's not enough that I can actually nail it down and say definitely.
I have a scan tool, but I don't think it monitors knock events, although it does display total advance. I'll have to try, and see. It may require a passenger to read the scanner, while I drive.

NDRam

Reaction score
I took delivery in January 2019. I have 4832 miles on 87 octane with 10% ethanol and have an average of 16.13 MPG. I also have 2689 miles on 89 with 10% ethanol and have 15.04 MPG there. Overall getting 15.68 MPG average by the numbers using the Road Trip app on my phone.

Dodgehemi0

Reaction score
This might depend on where you live; where I live, we have 87, 89, and 91. 89 is not actually a tank by itself, the station only has 87 and 91 and then mixes both on the fly to give you 89.

Besides, Ford trucks are pretty popular, don't they require premium for those finicky turbos? I'm sure they help keep the premium octane nice and fresh ;)

Nope you can run 87 just fine Ford only recommends higher if you’re towing. I just came out of a 3.5 ecobeast. It is very much a beast too!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Been running 87, but I have been told that I could get by with 85 because of the elevation of where I live in Colorado. My house is at 7200 ft and work and shopping etc is at 6000. Haven’t tried it yet but I’d bet money the dealership put 85 in it when they topped off the tank for me at delivery.

Brisoup1

Reaction score
After running 3 tanks of 89 octane fuel, I put 87 octane back in the tank and lost only a half MPG (from 15.4 to 14.9 MPG during mixed driving). The one thing that I think is helping is the gas station I usually fill up is ALWAYS busy, so there is always a constant supply of fresh fuel. The engine is also broken in with 1700 mi.

Limited_Ram

Reaction score
It's been said many times before. There is absolutely no point (other than trying to save literally a couple bucks) in not putting in the recommended 89 fuel. There are SEVERAL reasons manufacturers recommend whatever grade they recommend for their vehicles. If you think it's only about "losing a little performance", I highly recommend you to do more research and educate yourself on the topic

ForTehNguyen

Reaction score
notice the manufacturer says recommended not required, two different things. All those luxury cars say premium gas required to meet all the advertised specs. If it was that critical for the ram to run 89 I would expect them to say "89 required" So far from a few threads I've seen, theres no difference of significance between regular and midgrade

Brisoup1

Reaction score
notice the manufacturer says recommended not required, two different things. All those luxury cars say premium gas required to meet all the advertised specs. If it was that critical for the ram to run 89 I would expect them to say "89 required" So far from a few threads I've seen, theres no difference of significance between regular and midgrade
Most of them say "For Optimal Performance". Meaning you may get a couple extra horsepower & slightly better MPG.

JustAnotherGuy

Reaction score
89 only.

A few facts:

1. Putting a higher octane than your car is tuned for is a waste of money. It provides zero benefit. It does not burn cleaner, it does not provide more HP, etc. A total waste of money
2. Putting a lower octane than your car is tuned for is not good for the motor. Does that mean it will blow up on you? No. You can get away with it. However you are losing horsepower and long term reliabilty.
3. Some vehicles are tuned for multiple octanes. Years ago I had a Honda accord that was tuned for 87 and 89. You got more power out of 89, but either were fine.

All of this is science and factual. With that said, if you're buying a car that runs 93 and your worried about how much 93 costs, please don't buy that car, you can't afford it. Run the gas that your car needs. There is no reason to over complicate things.

To my knowledge the 5.7 is only tuned to 89, there is no factory 87 tune. Run 89.

As far as brands of gas? I only run Exxon, Shell, and Chevron (last choice). I've never had any issues and my credit card has never been skimmed (knock on wood). People I know that go to Kroger, Costco, and all of the other bootleg gas stations seem to have problems with their engines (water in gas, etc) more often, and all seem to get their credit cards skimmed. So I don't skimp on good gas.

Last edited:

Limited_Ram

Reaction score
89 only.

A few facts:

1. Putting a higher octane than your car is tuned for is a waste of money. It provides zero benefit. It does not burn cleaner, it does not provide more HP, etc. A total waste of money
2. Putting a lower octane than your car is tuned for is not good for the motor. Does that mean it will blow up on you? No. You can get away with it. However you are losing horsepower and long term reliabilty.
3. Some vehicles are tuned for multiple octanes. Years ago I had a Honda accord that was tuned for 87 and 89. You got more power out of 89, but either were fine.

All of this is science and factual. With that said, if you're buying a car that runs 93 and your worried about how much 93 costs, please don't buy that car, you can't afford it. Run the gas that your car needs. There is no reason to over complicate things.

To my knowledge the 5.7 is only tuned to 89, there is no factory 87 tune. Run 89.

As far as brands of gas? I only run Exxon, Shell, and Chevron (last choice). I've never had any issues and my credit card has never been skimmed (knock on wood). People I know that go to Kroger, Costco, and all of the other bootleg gas stations seem to have problems with their engines (water in gas, etc) more often, and all seem to get their credit cards skimmed. So I don't skimp on good gas.
Perfectly stated. The effects of running lower grade gasoline are not immediate...its not a problem, until it is. People will make any and every excuse to save a couple bucks it seems...lol

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
89 only.

A few facts:

Agreed, except I’d say any Top Tier provider is acceptable. For me, QT (QuikTrip) is one of the most popular regional suppliers.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Perfectly stated. The effects of running lower grade gasoline are not immediate...its not a problem, until it is. People will make any and every excuse to save a couple bucks it seems...lol
Well it's one thing if you go to Costco and it's only 30 cents more between 87 and 93. But if you go to the local Exxon, like last night, it was $2.52 / $2.97 / $3.74 for 87/89/93. At those price differences, I'll pay for the 87 octane and set aside the extra money I would have spent towards a possible future repair.

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
I disagree respectfully- I use 93 and it makes a difference in how my vehicles perform.

Your suggestion that 93 is a waste of money isn’t based on any science I’ve read but cleaner higher octane fuel is always better for an engine especially a large V8

I think gas is overpriced to begin with. But dropping 40-60$k on a truck and complaining about the negligible costs between octane is interesting I guess

What does skimming have to do with this conversation? Always check your card intake on the pump and that it’s secure and not removable

I think my local prices within 500 miles are 275 (87) 299 (89) 329 (92)

93 went up 30 cents in the last six months and ten cents in the last few weeks while the others are pretty stable

I never ever consider 87 - it’s **** gas and if I’m driving a big engine or high performing engine or a turbo it’s 93 all the time

Then I don’t have to worry about down the road issues being a result of bad gas. But you never know anyway as many stations put 89 in the 93 tanks and sell it for more. You can usually tell the difference though by how the engine runs

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Cant see no eth being worth a .75 premium. For that money Id just run 89/91 all day long.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I haven't seen any difference in performance or mpg using either 87 or 89. However, I started using 91 from Costco because it's cheaper than 87 from regular stations and Top Tier.

Still haven't noticed any difference with it either to be honest.

Users who are viewing this thread