5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Fuel is everyone using?

RebelRam

Reaction score
Prices in my area are:

87: 2.57
89: 2.87
93: 3.07

90/no ethanol: 3.32

I’ll probably run my “free” first tank down and try out the 90 and see what kind of mileage I get. It would probably have to be 30% more efficient to justify the cost. But I’ll try it... for science.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Prices in my area are:

I’ll probably run my “free” first tank down and try out the 90 and see what kind of mileage I get. It would probably have to be 30% more efficient to justify the cost. But I’ll try it... for science.
Help us out by adding location under avatar. That way we might better know where "my area" is

Tom488

Reaction score
As mentioned earlier, make sure you buy 89 from a gas station with decent turnover on their 89. I'd say middle grade is the least sold octane, so you are at higher risk of old gas. If it's unusually cheap, might be the station trying to unload their tank of 89 to avoid waste. Just something to think about when debating which octane to use.
I don't know of any station that stores 89 octane gas. 89 is blended at the pump from regular (87) and premium (93).

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As mentioned earlier, make sure you buy 89 from a gas station with decent turnover on their 89. I'd say middle grade is the least sold octane, so you are at higher risk of old gas. If it's unusually cheap, might be the station trying to unload their tank of 89 to avoid waste. Just something to think about when debating which octane to use.

If you wind up in a pinch in a rural area on a trip, go with 87. Not worth crumming up the fuel system with questionable 89 ... wait to go back to 89 until you're back in an area with more gas turnover.

This might depend on where you live; where I live, we have 87, 89, and 91. 89 is not actually a tank by itself, the station only has 87 and 91 and then mixes both on the fly to give you 89.

Besides, Ford trucks are pretty popular, don't they require premium for those finicky turbos? I'm sure they help keep the premium octane nice and fresh ;)

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Gas around here in Northern Virginia runs about .30 cents difference. At a Sheetz today, it was 2.49 / 2.79 / 3.09 I can't seem to justify a .30 jump from 87 to 89. Now Costco on the other hand, doesn't sell 89. They just have 87 and 93, and better yet, it's only .30 cents difference to jump from 87 to 93. Now that may be worth it. I have the 33 gallon tank, so that's still nearly $10 more per fill up. The question is though, is it still worth paying extra for anything over 87 octane? Oh and one more thing. Our local Sheetz sells the 88 E15 for several cents lower than the 87. Is anyone running their truck on 88 E15? Any thoughts on using that over 87?

kittyjo

Reaction score
Prices in my area are:

I can get non ethanol gas 90 for 2.80$ 93 reg Costco right now 2.73$ Greensboro NC

RebelRam

Reaction score
I can get non ethanol gas 90 for 2.80$ 93 reg Costco right now 2.73$ Greensboro NC
Have you tried it out to see if there’s any discernible difference in MPG? My thoughts are if it ups MPG, eliminates ethanol, and has a higher octane rating than 87 maybe it could be worth it?

kittyjo

Reaction score
Have you tried it out to see if there’s any discernible difference in MPG? My thoughts are if it ups MPG, eliminates ethanol, and has a higher octane rating than 87 maybe it could be worth it?
I have not but will try it out this next week... Costco is just so convenient

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What kind of gas mileage are you seeing on ethanol free, and what’s the price you’re paying per gallon for it?
According to my instrument panel, I’m at 21.5. I haven’t done any other calculations, I’m just not that concerned about it. I avoid ethanol because I find engines run smoother and are more responsive without it. It’s a more pronounced difference in my Charger especially.

Outboard boat engines don’t run well on ethanol gasolines, so I don’t want it in my engine. Thankfully in south LA with our prevalence of boats, pure gasoline is easy to find.

Last fill up was 3.09 per gallon.

RebelRam

Reaction score
I have not but will try it out this next week... Costco is just so convenient
Unfortunately I don’t have one of those around me... closest one is Wilmington I believe.

There has to be some correlation with ethanol elimination and MPG though. When I run E85 in my wife’s Jeep (v6) she’ll get like 16-18 MPG on the highway. Put in regular 87 with the usual up to 10% ethanol and it jumps to 24 MPG. I know that’s a more extreme example though.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Has anyone tried fuel additives to try to improve performance and gas efficiency?

Reaction score

If you wind up in a pinch in a rural area on a trip, go with 87. Not worth crumming up the fuel system with questionable 89 ... wait to go back to 89 until you're back in an area with more gas turnover.

I was thinking that mid-grade 89 is pumping a mix of 87 and 93, in other words they have two tanks at the station? If that's the case, it doesn't seem risky. Could be wrong.

CornTrucks

Reaction score
Gas around here in Northern Virginia runs about .30 cents difference. At a Sheetz today, it was 2.49 / 2.79 / 3.09 I can't seem to justify a .30 jump from 87 to 89. Now Costco on the other hand, doesn't sell 89. They just have 87 and 93, and better yet, it's only .30 cents difference to jump from 87 to 93. Now that may be worth it. I have the 33 gallon tank, so that's still nearly $10 more per fill up. The question is though, is it still worth paying extra for anything over 87 octane? Oh and one more thing. Our local Sheetz sells the 88 E15 for several cents lower than the 87. Is anyone running their truck on 88 E15? Any thoughts on using that over 87?
I run E15 88 octane whenever I can. Some people say it gets as good or better mileage than the standard E10 87 octane due to the small octane increase. Just get whatever is most cost effective, which is usually either regular 87 or an E15 blend.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread