5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What fuel for 5.7

Bo3liwe

Reaction score
I use (95 octane) in my truck.My engine has been running on it since day one.There’s no harm in using higher octane fuel.

..**2019 ram limited

(KUWAIT City)

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I use 95 in my truck.My engine has been running on it since day one.There’s no harm in using higher octane fuel.
2019 ram limited

(KUWAIT City)

If I remember correctly, Kuwait uses RON octane rating instead of the North American rating system of RON+MON.

They also use a confusing naming system of "premium" for 91 RON, "Super" for 95 RON and "Ultra" for 98 RON.

However, that translate to 91 (87 USA), 95 (91 USA) and 98 (94 USA)

So in reality, the 95 RON you are using is equivalent to 91 Octane RON+MON used in the US. Which is only slightly higher octane rating than what is recommended.

Firebird

Reaction score
Here lately, I have been running 93 octane. I still get a small bit of knock under load on 89 octane.

hifiaudio2

Reaction score
I buy all gas at Costco and the choices are 87 and 91, so I suppose it's better to go over the recommended octane rather than under...?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I use 89 consistently. They only penalty to going above 89 is price and you get nothing more for it.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score

racing83x

Reaction score
I have been running 87 octane in my 2020 and it runs fine when empty, but when you put a trailer behind it the trucks pings like a small block chevy. So i tried going to 91 octane and ping goes away. I have also found that the Costco 87 octane creates ping no matter what.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve run 85 , 87 , and 89. I’ve noticed no difference in fuel economy or power from any of the three. I do spend 100% of the time above 5800 ft elevation so maybe that’s why.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use 89 consistently. They only penalty to going above 89 is price and you get nothing more for it.
But from what I know, if you go over 89 at shell, you have more detergents in the 93 so your engine is more cleaner in the long term compared to 89. So there is something more for it. Whether that’s a small or large thing.

Attachments

• 2D99F410-DBA8-4BDC-91AA-A5A451A6A1F8.jpeg
    2D99F410-DBA8-4BDC-91AA-A5A451A6A1F8.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 41
  • EC01D373-66B4-4818-A8E3-98F6D4F990A4.jpeg
    EC01D373-66B4-4818-A8E3-98F6D4F990A4.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 5FFF4732-23FF-4E27-A5BD-30E4DDC508E1.jpeg
    5FFF4732-23FF-4E27-A5BD-30E4DDC508E1.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 6A767F2F-081F-4A7A-8F71-DA9A5555084A.png
    6A767F2F-081F-4A7A-8F71-DA9A5555084A.png
    215.6 KB · Views: 38

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
But from what I know, if you go over 89 at shell, you have more detergents in the 93 so your engine is more cleaner in the long term compared to 89. So there is something more for it. Whether that’s a small or large thing.
There is more than enough detergents in the 87 and 89 that 93 will do nothing to make a difference. 93 actually negatively impacts fuel economy in our engines and pinging should not be an issue either with 89. Your money so buy what you want but you are WASTING money using 93...it's all marketing my friend...all marketing.

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
I mean, truthfully, if you’re worried about “wasting” $5 on a filled tank, you’ve got much bigger financial issues. ;)

I get my gas at Costco and always get 93. For the sake of 20 cents a gallon... I’d rather have that extra peace of mind! I like to give mine a good beating, especially with my new exhaust, so why not...?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I mean, truthfully, if you’re worried about “wasting” $5 on a filled tank, you’ve got much bigger financial issues. ;)

I get my gas at Costco and always get 93. For the sake of 20 cents a gallon... I’d rather have that extra peace of mind! I like to give mine a good beating, especially with my new exhaust, so why not...?
It's really not about the money. 93 is proven to provide worse gas mileage and there is absolutely ZERO benefit to using 93 except for the fact that all of the marketing the gas companies are using make you think you're getting more for your money than you are. If a vehicle doesn't require it, then there is no benefit to using it. I make a great living and money has never been a concern for me (thank GOD), but I am also wise in how I spend it ;)

SD Rebel

Reaction score
It's really not about the money. 93 is proven to provide worse gas mileage and there is absolutely ZERO benefit to using 93 except for the fact that all of the marketing the gas companies are using make you think you're getting more for your money than you are. If a vehicle doesn't require it, then there is no benefit to using it. I make a great living and money has never been a concern for me (thank GOD), but I am also wise in how I spend it ;)

93 proven to be worse gas mileage in what way?

If he gets his gas at Costco, his only choice is regular or premium, and since premium at Costco is typically cheaper than 87 at regular stations it makes sense to use it, since you will be at least meeting the recommended 89 octane.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
93 proven to be worse gas mileage in what way?

If he gets his gas at Costco, his only choice is regular or premium, and since premium at Costco is typically cheaper than 87 at regular stations it makes sense to use it, since you will be at least meeting the recommended 89 octane.
First of, premium at COSTCO is NOT cheaper than 87. It may be close in cost to 89. If you can buy 93 at the same price as 89, then go for it. Some say that 93 is harder to burn and can result in poorer fuel economy. Premium gas must be, by law, at or above 91 percent, although you do also see 93 percent octane ultra-premium at many stations. Octane does not offer any better fuel mileage, increase engine horsepower, or make the engine start quicker. Higher octane only reduces the likelihood of engine knock or ping. 93 won't hurt anything...and my comments began regarding the comment made above on additives. Buying 93 only to get more "additives" is a BIG waste of money and totally unnecessary. If you are "concerned" about your fuel, then run Chevron Techron, or your favorite additive, through your tank at every oil change and it will make you feel better. All high-quality fuels have additive packages that are more then enough to keep injectors running clean regardless of octane rating.

silver billet

Reaction score
My hemi still pings very slightly on 91 octane when working hard (pulling trailer up a steep hill, for example). Which means, 93 would still be a benefit.

There is no way on God's green earth that someone is going to get less MPG in these hemis running 93 octane.

If you have proof to the contrary, by all means share it. Otherwise my ears tell me a completely different story.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
My hemi still pings very slightly on 91 octane when working hard (pulling trailer up a steep hill, for example). Which means, 93 would still be a benefit.

There is no way on God's green earth that someone is going to get less MPG in these hemis running 93 octane.

If you have proof to the contrary, by all means share it. Otherwise my ears tell me a completely different story.
Your ears can hear how well your gas mileage is doing???

SD Rebel

Reaction score
First of, premium at COSTCO is NOT cheaper than 87. It may be close in cost to 89. If you can buy 93 at the same price as 89, then go for it. Some say that 93 is harder to burn and can result in poorer fuel economy. Premium gas must be, by law, at or above 91 percent, although you do also see 93 percent octane ultra-premium at many stations. Octane does not offer any better fuel mileage, increase engine horsepower, or make the engine start quicker. Higher octane only reduces the likelihood of engine knock or ping. 93 won't hurt anything...and my comments began regarding the comment made above on additives. Buying 93 only to get more "additives" is a BIG waste of money and totally unnecessary. If you are "concerned" about your fuel, then run Chevron Techron, or your favorite additive, through your tank at every oil change and it will make you feel better. All high-quality fuels have additive packages that are more then enough to keep injectors running clean regardless of octane rating.

It is in my area, so lets call it a local thing, but I think this applies to most of the country. Typically, Costco premium is cheaper than name brand 87.

So you don't actually have proof that our Hemi get worst mpg with 93? You are making an assumption here unless you have some sort of link that shows it to be the case.

Octane absolutely can offer better mpg and power if the engine is tuned to make use of it. Our engines for example are tuned best for 89, so if you use it over 87, you should see an increase in mpg and power. The whole point of higher octane is it reduces knock. In order to get more power, manufacturers will tune a motor typically with higher timing, however they will require a higher octane to prevent knock.

I agree on the additive packages.

Users who are viewing this thread