5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What fuel for 5.7

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you don't know what mid-grade fuel is by the time you're of driving age in your local, you may not want to drive.

Again, neither one of you are wrong, you guys blew this way out of proportion for no reason at all.
Well said.

Barney556180

Reaction score
Octane seems an emotional and subjective topic. Here’s an informative technical article on gasoline and octane:

And another forum thread to check:

My takeaway is that octane higher than what’s needed to avoid pinging/premature ignition is not required.

As with fuel and oil additives, your call as to whether the cost of higher than required octane gas is worth the peace of mind.

Last edited:

Deriggs007

Reaction score
I have members in the family who are of the fairer sex, and know nothing about gas either; doesn't stop me from telling them "pick the one that says 87". Because as I've stated 20 times now, even with pictures (you guys must be blind), "plus" doesn't exist on the vast majority of pumps in my area. Each gas station brand in my area pretty much uses their own labels for 87 octane, which is why it's useless to pick one, and why it's far easier to memorize "87" because that never changes from station to station.

Therefore; the OP's original request to include the descriptive label with the octane number, "because that is more helpful", is incorrect. It's less helpful, and may even be a hindrance because nobody knows what the heck "plus" means; it could be different for different forum members, depending on the area they live in. So now instead of just a helpful number like 87, you want to drag the discussion into the weeds where you now need to include a reference to what "plus" means?

Yeah this discussion has gone on way too long and has reached the point of pettiness; my bad. I just can't believe some of you guys are stumbling over this. Or maybe I just suck at explaining things.

I think the issue isn't the topic or the discussion. It is your mentality towards people saying "stupid" and now stating "You guys" meaning plural, meaning you're directing your words towards other members (sounds like me) despite me not saying anything about the real topic to begin with.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but "Labeling" does make sense to many others, just not to you. I would tell my sisters growing up to fill up with premium which coincided with 93 octane where "WE" are from. Just because it doesn't make since where you're from, doesn't mean it doesn't affect those in other areas or their own upbringing. Some families don't ever look at octane and go by what they're told. Some people search for gas stations by the label and not the octane level because guess what... the octane isn't on the big sign of the gas station.

That's the point he was making, and now the point I'm making. If there is one person more "wrong" here - it's actually you simply because you're putting your own upbringing and personal bias towards the debate of pointless labeling.... Or you really do just suck at explaining everything and should carry on away from this topic because you clearly do not belong with like minded "blind" people like us with your self-centered mindset.

Enjoy :)

Last edited:

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
Most stations I use have 87, 87 with 10% Ethanol, and 91 Premium. I use the cheapest stuff which is 87 with 10% Ethanol. I have not tried anything else in my truck yet other than 88 with 15% Ethanol (E15) and didn't notice much of a MPG hit.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think the issue isn't the topic or the discussion. It is your mentality towards people saying "stupid" and now stating "You guys" meaning plural, meaning you're directing your words towards other members (sounds like me) despite me not saying anything about the real topic to begin with.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but "Labeling" does make sense to many others, just not to you. I would tell my sisters growing up to fill up with premium which coincided with 93 octane where "WE" are from. Just because it doesn't make since where you're from, doesn't mean it doesn't affect those in other areas or their own upbringing. Some families don't ever look at octane and go by what they're told. Some people search for gas stations by the label and not the octane level because guess what... the octane isn't on the big sign of the gas station.

That's the point he was making, and now the point I'm making. If there is one person more "wrong" here - it's actually you simply because you're putting your own upbringing and personal bias towards the debate of pointless labeling.... Or you really do just suck at explaining everything and should carry on away from this topic because you clearly do not belong with like minded "blind" people like us with your self-centered mindset.

Enjoy :)

You're making the same mistake the OP did. It's like you can't read or just refuse to understand. The labeling doesn't make sense if it doesn't apply equally to everybody. Those labels work only on specific gas pumps. I've proven that with pictures, but some of you are just being purposely obtuse at this point and I doubt you even gave those pics a second look.

So while it may be fine to talk to your sister about buying "plus at the local corner store", it doesn't make sense to request that information in a public forum where everybody's version of "plus" is different or non existant. That was my point. The context of this discussion is a global (or at least North American) location.

Viper67

Reaction score
Wanderer your just wasting time. Again you can’t fix stupid. There is a difference between ignorance and stupid and they are proving which one they are. This is hilarious though as I’m beginning to wonder if they are really this dumb or just pulling your leg to keep you going.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Wanderer your just wasting time. Again you can’t fix stupid. There is a difference between ignorance and stupid and they are proving which one they are. This is hilarious though as I’m beginning to wonder if they are really this dumb or just pulling your leg to keep you going.

I mean, if you’re over here calling people stupid...

It’s “you’re” not “your”

But I wouldn’t suspect someone smart like you to catch that.

Last edited:

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get the impression that some folks never leave their local bubble and think the rest of the world is the same way.

I travel by road for vacations, so it's not unusual for me to cover 1,000 miles in a day (Highlands Ranch, CO to Kellogg, ID, for example). I've had to learn how to interpret the grade names and relative octane levels, so it's easy for me. I didn't have to buy gas when I spent 5 days in Whistler, BC last year, but it wouldn't have been a challenge if I did.

For those of us that do live in locales that have lower octane levels than most others (aka "stupid" people), I get the impression that some folks would rather we just not participate in fuel selection conversations.

silver billet

Reaction score
I get the impression that some folks never leave their local bubble and think the rest of the world is the same way.

I travel by road for vacations, so it's not unusual for me to cover 1,000 miles in a day (Highlands Ranch, CO to Kellogg, ID, for example). I've had to learn how to interpret the grade names and relative octane levels, so it's easy for me. I didn't have to buy gas when I spent 5 days in Whistler, BC last year, but it wouldn't have been a challenge if I did.

For those of us that do live in locales that have lower octane levels than most others (aka "stupid" people), I get the impression that some folks would rather we just not participate in fuel selection conversations.

Again you miss the point. The point is not that octane levels change. Let me spell it out for you.

Octane Rating of "87", is "definitive". It's all you need to know about the octane. It's the same everywhere.
Octane Rating of "plus", is "descriptive". It describes the rating of 87 (in some case), or 85 (in some cases) and is not the sole piece of information you need when talking about octane.

Therefore: the "descriptive label" is not helpful in global discussions. It causes confusion because some people have different octane values (85/87) for those labels. Or the labels you use are different than the labels we use.

This was your question, that triggered this petty little dialog:

It would probably be more useful if we referred to which grade of fuel we were using. Octane numbers don't really translate from one location to another.

Your question is backwards. The octane numbers translate 100% and never change from one location to another. The "grade" as you call it (descriptive label as I call it) DOES change.

So. Why ask for a descriptive label which changes depending on which area you are in, when the octane rating of "87" is sufficient, is the same for all users, and never changes?

IT BOGGLES THE MIND. Really.

I quit. Have a nice day folks.

Barney556180

Reaction score
Octane rating (the number) represents a standard measure of gasoline’s resistance to detonation. This is an objective result of specific laboratory testing and does not change. There are several recognized standards methods used throughout the world.

In the US, gasoline octanes are expressed as the average of two methods: Research Octane Number and Motor Octane Number (R+M)/2. This is the only required labeling standard.

Grade names (Regular, Plus, Mid, Premium, etc.) are marketing conventions used by the various retailers to designate their product steps.

There is no correlation in grade naming, and so anything other than the number is meaningless for brand to brand comparison.

A retailer could designate their three grades as Zoom, Zoom-zoom, and Zoom-zoom-zoom, if wanted. The octane number is the only comparative information.

As for lower octane numbers in high altitudes, this simply acknowledges there’s less compression and so a lower octane requirement to stave off pre-detonation/ping. Again, using a higher than needed octane is an individual choice, but the motor doesn’t care.

Last edited:

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I prefer the zippity-doo-dah grade.

If some people can't get past the idea that Ram recommends the mid-grade, then don't worry about it. It was just an idea. Just talk numbers. If anyone incorrectly applies any of the numbers being discussed here, that's on them.

Last edited:

silver billet

Reaction score
Regular, Plus, and Super is the equivalent to short, medium, and tall.
85, 87, 89 is the equivalent to 5'1", 5"10" and 6'2"

c'mon now, didn't you read the post above yours? It's everybody else's fault for incorrectly interpreting what you mean by "medium" and "tall".

Barney556180

Reaction score
Going back to the manufacturer, the 2019 RAM Owner’s Manual recommends

“...to provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance...gasoline having an octane range of 87 to 89...“

The use of 89 octane “Plus” gasoline is recommended for optimum performance and fuel economy.”

Note the two levels of performance and fuel economy: Satisfactory and Optimum. Your choice as to which is the better value for what you want.

Also, the quotes around “Plus” show it to be a generic designation for a step above regular, rather than a specific grade label to look for.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I filled up with 85 (aka Regular Unleaded/Zoom/Short/5'1") tonight to see if I run into any performance issues.

Users who are viewing this thread