5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What else in your garage?

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've decided to sell my old Plymouth and buy a more modern GT toy. Right now there are only three requirements, two doors, manual transmission and enough trunk space for a weekend away with the misses...

Just not as many options as there used to be. Kinda looking at early gen2 5.0 Stangs, BRZ/FRS/GT. Would love to have a new WRX in a 2 door, but...

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've decided to sell my old Plymouth and buy a more modern GT toy. Right now there are only three requirements, two doors, manual transmission and enough trunk space for a weekend away with the misses...

Just not as many options as there used to be. Kinda looking at early gen2 5.0 Stangs, BRZ/FRS/GT. Would love to have a new WRX in a 2 door, but...
hmm dare I recommend E92 M3?
one and only M3 with a V8, available with stick shift but could require paying premium.

Personally I think the 7-speed DCT has better gearing for the car.

If you are looking for one, be sure to look for post-facelift, preferably with rod bearing and throttle actuators replaced already.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, but I avoid German cars out of warranty like the plague.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not gonna lie, a NEW Z4 is tempting, but no manual, so no thanks.

Now the new Nissan Z is another story... 🤗 I just don't want to spend that much. Prefer something I can pay cash for and not worry so much about door dings, etc... 11-14 Mustang GT is kinda what I'm thinking.

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Now the new Nissan Z is another story... 🤗 I just don't want to spend that much. Prefer something I can pay cash for and not worry so much about door dings, etc... 11-14 Mustang GT is kinda what I'm thinking.
I truly enjoyed my 2018 mustang, but I sold it during covid. Put the vin in online for a buyout on a whim and I couldn't pass up what the sales offer was. But I'm in the other boat. With two growing kids, 2 doors just isn't feasible anymore. If I could get a scat charger or hellcat with a manual transmission, I'd be all over one. Much like you, I just can bring myself to ditch the manual. Times are changing, but I'm not willing to comply yet ha.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

If you are looking for used, I'd personally look at the 09-12 SRT Challenger with manual transmission

tom318

Reaction score
Bring My Wallet
Big Money on Wheels
3 BMW motorcycles, do as much wrenching myself, parts are still a "gotcha"

Should have stuck with the 1970 650 Triumph Bonneville but than the BMW performance is enjoyable.
The BMW costs do add up sometimes. I try to do as much as i can myself and they arent daily cars so it hasnt been to terrible. The cost of E39 parts has gone through the roof recently. Ive owned the E39 10yrs now and its been relativly cheap as many 5series part work for it. When i bought the car i thought it has very stiff steering but it wasnt to hateful and every mechanic at the time told me that was normal as M5 steering is heavier compared to a 5 series. I didn't believe them and ordeedr a steering module that I thought was the issue, its was ~$350 at the time. It was a challenge to replace so I never did and the part sat in my garage since.
Last year I had some maintenance done with a new mechanic and he confirmed the steering was way to stiff and it needed this steering module replaced. I thought I had lost the part as we moved and I didn't remember where it was so I told him go ahead and order a new one......he asked that I be seated before he tells me the price, its now $1800!!! So I searched high and low and found it still in OEM packaging in my garage!
The BMW M SUVs eat tires and brakes like nothing I have experienced before.....but that's the nature of the beasts I guess. My wallet is defiantly not fat enough to daily drive those and rack up 30k miles a year, id need 3 sets of tires and 2 sets of brakes hahahaha. Then there is my RAM, 76k miles and my brakes look new still.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The BMW costs do add up sometimes. I try to do as much as i can myself and they arent daily cars so it hasnt been to terrible. The cost of E39 parts has gone through the roof recently. Ive owned the E39 10yrs now and its been relativly cheap as many 5series part work for it. When i bought the car i thought it has very stiff steering but it wasnt to hateful and every mechanic at the time told me that was normal as M5 steering is heavier compared to a 5 series. I didn't believe them and ordeedr a steering module that I thought was the issue, its was ~$350 at the time. It was a challenge to replace so I never did and the part sat in my garage since.
Last year I had some maintenance done with a new mechanic and he confirmed the steering was way to stiff and it needed this steering module replaced. I thought I had lost the part as we moved and I didn't remember where it was so I told him go ahead and order a new one......he asked that I be seated before he tells me the price, its now $1800!!! So I searched high and low and found it still in OEM packaging in my garage!
The BMW M SUVs eat tires and brakes like nothing I have experienced before.....but that's the nature of the beasts I guess. My wallet is defiantly not fat enough to daily drive those and rack up 30k miles a year, id need 3 sets of tires and 2 sets of brakes hahahaha. Then there is my RAM, 76k miles and my brakes look new still.
It is the same way with the motorcycle part's prices. It gets so that the part/repair costs more than the MC is worth and than the parts become unavailable.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you are looking for used, I'd personally look at the 09-12 SRT Challenger with manual transmission
If I were to do a Challenger, it would have to be post face-lift. I can't handle that older interior. Plus, I've driven the Challenger R/T. Nice car, but not really what I'm looking for. But, I won't rule it out...

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Yeah the older dodge interiors were horrendous. So glad they got their act together.

But we added a new turbo outback. Little thing moves pretty damn good, still slower than the truck though. But also gets 30mpg
b31e42e68cc1bf49dd6e4d9b53bf0c0f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HemiDude

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly, but I wasn't going to be the first to suggest it since I am biased by having had a '12. If I ever went back to owning a toy with a shifter, that SRT checked all the boxes, and really had no faults. It was one of only two vehicles I've ever owned that felt bulletproof.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score

A Camaro would hit everything but the trunk. My convertible trunk is basically an oversized glove box. It's small.

Users who are viewing this thread