5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Else am I going to Miss? 1500 to 2500

Helmetface

Reaction score
I've had my 2019 Big Horn 1500 for 8,000 luxurious miles now! I have been problem free, but not without minor complaints. That being said, I have an itch for getting back into a 3/4 ton...

I drive a diesel 550 daily for work, which has something to do with this situation I'm in. The crazy soft/spongey suspension on the 1500 is another end of the catalyst.

So, a lower monthly payment aside, what else am I going to miss? I've got a fully loaded Big Horn, 5.7 North Edition, with Equip Level 2. I am looking at a Cummins, equip L2...It's an even exchange in going with a Crew Cab and full bed.

My thought process is as such: I'm still well under a year into paying off my 1500, with a 5 year note to go (low %). To increase my payment by $50 for a Cummins is pretty enticing...I would lose out on some MPG's, obviously. I do tow, so I have the 3.92's, but I can still hit 18MPG on the highway unloaded in the 1500. No chance with the 2500.

As a long time GM guy, they're still not impressing me aesthetically. And as someone that drives a Ford for work, I would not spend my money on one. So RAM it is...

Just looking to open a discussion here. I'm open to any and all opinions.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Your post is a little confusing. But highway unloaded with the Cummins you are going to see 20 to 24 easily. Heck my daily driving Mpg with my 2013 was 17.9 and that is all rural and hilly terrain no highway.

The 2500 really doesn't ride all that rough if you play with your tire pressures. It will ride much better than your work truck.

I got rid of my diesel though as it didn't appreciate short drives and the few issues I had the dealership made it worse.

I always find it odd why someone wants a 2500 diesel but everyone has their reasons.

Good luck with the purchase. Either one I am sure will make you continue to smile.

Helmetface

Reaction score
Your post is a little confusing. But highway unloaded with the Cummins you are going to see 20 to 24 easily. Heck my daily driving Mpg with my 2013 was 17.9 and that is all rural and hilly terrain no highway.

The 2500 really doesn't ride all that rough if you play with your tire pressures. It will ride much better than your work truck.

I got rid of my diesel though as it didn't appreciate short drives and the few issues I had the dealership made it worse.

I always find it odd why someone wants a 2500 diesel but everyone has their reasons.

Good luck with the purchase. Either one I am sure will make you continue to smile.

Thanks for the input. I had no idea the unloaded MPG's were that good. I was going off some Fuelly stats.

Regarding roughness, the 1500 is just way too soft. The body roll is worse than our 8 year old Subaru wagon. I would welcome a stiffer ride with open arms.

Care to elaborate more on the issues you experienced? Especially regarding the short trips.

And yea, I know the post is a bit...haphazard? But it's an emotional time when a man is thinking about trading his truck in....that and, well you know, whiskey.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
20190701_103215.jpg
This after a trip from south central Pennsylvania to north central Ohio. 2 adults 3 kids and our stuff for one week.

The short trips was mostly just the urban legends that it is bad for them and often I got emission codes. Never actually had an issue.

The other was mostly dealership stupidity and lack of real care for the situation. I had a security issue with the key after a freak rain storm and the water in fuel sensor on the fuel filter on the frame rail caused issue and any part I needed for it at the time was always on back order.

You definitely will not have body roll with the 2500 trucks.

My newer 392 Hemi likes to cruise on the highway too. 20190701_103109.jpg
That was on a trip form PA to virginia beach.

I use the EVIC display all the time for my figures and also hand calculate the tank. Both trucks were always within .2 MpG with the computer.

Oh, and don't forget our sister site...HDRAMS.COM is for the HeavyDuty RAM trucks in our life.

Helmetface

Reaction score
The ginormous rear seat will be missed...if you use it. The 3/4 tons are using 4th-gen cabs.

I wasn't aware of the backseat discrepancy.

I'm guessing the cab is the same length, just a difference in the back portion of the seat?

Thanks!

Reverse

Reaction score
I wasn't aware of the backseat discrepancy.

I'm guessing the cab is the same length, just a difference in the back portion of the seat?

Thanks!

No, cab is 4 inches shorter in 4th gen. In 5th gen that all went to rear seat room IIRC.

_StangPGH

Reaction score
Hellwig sway bar and the 1500 handles very well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As @SpeedyV Said the cab is still the 4th gen and the crew cab is 4 inches shorter than the 1500...but MEGACAB is even bigger.

And one thing you will have with a 2500 that no 1500 guy can get....powerfold tow mirrors. That's right. Powerfold tow mirrors. And the tow mirrors on a 2500 will also have...surroundview. yep HeavyDuty trucks can have their cake and eat it too.

About the only other thing the 2500 won't have that a 1500 can is the panoramic sunroof and 4 corner air.

Oh, with the Cummins you may miss the dial shifter...or be more happy with the column mounted gear selector.

CamsRam

Reaction score
If you like your truck, but not the body roll, the Hellwig sway bar the _StangPGH mentioned will make a big difference in body roll. I installed one last fall and the difference is dramatic.

Users who are viewing this thread