5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What does "Full–Speed Forward–Collision Warning Plus" Do?

2001gw

Reaction score
Does it apply the brakes in an emergency situation? I've owned the truck since last April and have never experienced auto braking (other than when in Adaptive Cruise Control).

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's a good question. I know the low speed slams on the brakes when the truck thinks you are going to hit something. Try getting it up to like 50 mph and aim for a parked car or something. Let us know what it does.

Or I guess the responsible thing to do would be to read the owners manual. But you have to admit option A would lend a lot more excitement to your day!

2001gw

Reaction score
That's a good question. I know the low speed slams on the brakes when the truck thinks you are going to hit something. Try getting it up to like 50 mph and aim for a parked car or something. Let us know what it does.

Or I guess the responsible thing to do would be to read the owners manual. But you have to admit option A would lend a lot more excitement to your day!
(y)

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Mine doesn't have that option but I'd imagine it would at least sound an alert warning beep like the parking sensor warning. I would have to agree that reading through the owners manual would be your best bet to find out what exactly happens

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine definitely does (without Auto Cruise on) and it's scary.

There's a certain spot on my way to work where it activates 2-3 times in less than a 1/4 mile with NOTHING in front of me. I had to disable the system as the dealer cannot duplicate the problem. I still get the warning on the dash and loud beeping, but atleast she does not slam the brakes for no reason.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score

There's a certain spot on my way to work where it activates 2-3 times in less than a 1/4 mile with NOTHING in front of me. I had to disable the system as the dealer cannot duplicate the problem. I still get the warning on the dash and loud beeping, but atleast she does not slam the brakes for no reason.
Is it possibly picking up shadows from an overpass or possibly trees? Like I said previously my truck doesnt have the collision warning but the park sensor are sensitive enough to pick up shadow's. Just a thought

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mine fully activated once and saved me from rear ending someone who almost missed their turn on a two lane SR. Just glad there was nobody behind me.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Is it possibly picking up shadows from an overpass or possibly trees? Like I said previously my truck doesnt have the collision warning but the park sensor are sensitive enough to pick up shadow's. Just a thought
Based on the use of the word "may", it looks like it's possible that it could react to shadows.
FCW may not react to irrelevant objects such as overhead objects, ground reflections, objects not in the path of the vehicle, stationary objects that are far away, oncoming traffic, or leading vehicles with the same or higher rate of speed.

Last edited:

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine fully activated once and saved me from rear ending someone who almost missed their turn on a two lane SR. Just glad there was nobody behind me.
You know what they say: "The worst drivers never miss a turn."

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is it possibly picking up shadows from an overpass or possibly trees? Like I said previously my truck doesn't have the collision warning but the park sensor are sensitive enough to pick up shadow's. Just a thought

Highly possible. It's when I'm going over the Commodore Barry Bridge, day / night (massive street lights) and in either direction it happens.

It's been pretty good everywhere else, it's just on that bridge it goes nuts. Which is unfortunate as I have to take that bridge to goto work. So I had to disable the system and make sure I'm not using the AutoCruise when I'm going over it.

sparkygreen

Reaction score
Had mine save me today, for the first time in a real life situation, and it would have been my fault.

I was preoccupied at a light, obviously not paying enough attention. I was sitting about 4-5 cars back, the light turns green and cars start moving forward in the other lane so I hit the gas, but the car 2 spots ahead of me stalled out and everyone in my lane slammed their brakes. I didnt notice and never touched my brake, but the truck locked em up and kept me from plowing into the car in front of me.

Not a high speed situation, but definitely saved my ***!

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I know my park sensors pick up shadows
So far mine hasn't stopped for anything that wasn't legit. It has locked up the brakes (breaks) when my tailgate was down, but I'd rather have it do that than letting me smash my bumper into a pole I can't see.

I'm glad this thread popped up, because I didn't know FCW was adjustable. I don't drive fast, but I do make aggressive maneuvers and I've had the FCW give me the aural warning and brake tap when it wasn't necessary. I read the manual and it recommends selecting "Near" sensitivity for aggressive driving. Mine was set at "medium".

FCW.jpg

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've gotten the 'Service Forward Collision Warning Light' on my dash twice now, but it always goes away after a restart.

Where is the sensor? On the windshield behind the rear view mirrors? What other sensors are there? Auto wipers and auto high beams? The sensors on the bumpers are parking sensors only right?

yellowboy

Reaction score
I noticed that I get the warning tone and dash light when I am moving in a parking garage. They always have tight turns and you get very close to other vehicles while moving.

Dewey

Reaction score
Glad I didn’t order this. Anything that slams on the brakes for no reason doesn’t fly with me. Bad enough the parking sensors do the same.

My wife has it on her car and it beeps loudly if front collision is imminent but no brakes involved. Always plenty of notice to hit the brakes.

Pretty soon people won’t even know how to drive anymore. Oh wait…….that already happened. 😆

TTFD753

Reaction score
Highly possible. It's when I'm going over the Commodore Barry Bridge, day / night (massive street lights) and in either direction it happens.

It's been pretty good everywhere else, it's just on that bridge it goes nuts. Which is unfortunate as I have to take that bridge to goto work. So I had to disable the system and make sure I'm not using the AutoCruise when I'm going over it.
I had the same problem crossing over the MLK bridge pictured below at about 40Mph. I initially thought it was because of the small incline until I saw your comment. I bet the shadows played a factor for me also.
I live in deer country and am curious what would happen if one of those would run in front of the truck at highway speeds. Makes me nervous just thinking about it.

1654888587352.png

WhiskeyThief

Reaction score

There's a certain spot on my way to work where it activates 2-3 times in less than a 1/4 mile with NOTHING in front of me. I had to disable the system as the dealer cannot duplicate the problem. I still get the warning on the dash and loud beeping, but at least she does not slam the brakes for no reason.
My 2019 has now activated the brakes (HARD!) three different times in the past four months. It has done it at the exact same place on my drive home from work. Its when I am stopped under a bridge waiting for traffic in front of me to move. When it moves and I start to move the FCW kicks in and slams the brakes on. Today I almost got rear ended. So I have now set it to warning only, which completely sucks because I want the active braking as it could save me from an accident. However I have to disable the braking because it is actively trying to get me into an accident.

From reading on other forums this seems to be a problem when going under bridges as many people have called that out.

Also, its "funny" that you, myself and TTFD753 have all called out the problem with the bridges and all 3 of our trucks are the Delmonico Red.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread