5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What does everyone do for a living?

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Interesting thread!

I am a Civil Engineer and Program Manager for a large engineering firm providing engineering design services on a very large project for the Department of Homeland Security (enough said about that).

Also a custom home designer and builder, and formerly owned other businesses providing engineering and environmental services within the federal and nuclear sectors.

But my wife says I am a certified car nut.

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
Stay safe out there. Lot of hate being thrown at police officers these days.

Me, I’m retiring at the end of the month. In my previous early life, I was a union Ironworker in Baton Rouge. Worked mostly in the plants up and down the Mississippi and did a couple of stents during the construction of a nuclear power plant in St. Francisville, La.

At about 30, I decided to go to college (LSU) and then to law school (LSU). After law school, I was a trial lawyer in the Texas Attorney General’s Law Enforcement Defense Division for 7 years where we defended state law enforcement officers and officials when they were sued civilly. Got burned out on the travel and started as an in house lawyer at a large Texas state agency. I’ve got 17 more work days and then I join the ranks of the retired.
Thanks and enjoy retirement!

Sjay

Reaction score
SCO huh? Now there is a company I was never so happy to see go under. Bunch of greedy money grabbers, though Oracle is hot on their heals. :)

Never had the opportunity to use their flavour of Unix, but I think it had a good reputation back in the day. How did you like it (I'm assuming you have good thoughts considering the product is still running many years later), you have any thoughts on that compared to todays "big iron" (linux + postgres would probably come closest)?

It is Openserver Enterprise (Unix). Updated our box a couple of years ago to a Dell server with RAID built in. Been running SCO for over 30 years. It works very well for our database system that is also 30+ years old. Fast and efficient. Owner of the company is not paying for new office software (he's 82). :)

RAM5

Reaction score
in early to late 90s I built custom homes in the county I live in. In the year 2000 I went to work for the building department as a structural inspector in the county I live in. In the year 2016 I quit working for the county building department and went to work for a custom home building company in the county I live in.

when I finally do get to retire at some point. if I ever have enough funds to do so...I will move out of the state and county that I live in and move far, far away :D

M Rob

Reaction score
Interesting thread for sure !!

I am a physical therapist , graduated from Texas Tech in 2015 . Spent one year working in Baltimore .... then came back to the great State of Texas and have been working for the DoD since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I am a physical therapist , graduated from Texas Tech in 2015 . Spent one year working in Baltimore .... then came back to the great State of Texas and have been working for the DoD since then.

Geaux Red Raiders! And of course, Geaux Tigers!

Guns up, Rob. And Geaux Tigers!

jsampsell

Reaction score
I'm a national accounts project manager in fire protection with a focus on the cable and telco industries. We work with all of the companies that provide the infrastructure for most of the nation to work from home so I am grateful that I've been non-stop through the pandemic.

Last edited:

Yogi217

Reaction score
After college and grad school, spent 2 years as a teacher's assistant, then taught 4th grade for 10 years, and now I'm and assistant principal at a k-5 school (going on 6 years). All elementary and all in the state of CT. You have to work 38.5 years to get max pension benefits, so they handcuff you pretty good.

I use to coach ice hockey for kids ages 3-18, but with a family and young kids, I have no time for that.

Anyway, love this work and my job. It's my life's passion, so it doesn't feel like a grind. Trying to plan for the full reopening of schools during a pandemic is quite interesting and chaotic....

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread