5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What does everyone do for a living?

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Field Service Technician (or engineer, depends which paperwork I’m looking at )

10 years on Heavy Duty and Aeroderivative Gas turbines all over the world, then a short period in the office as a manager and now back on the field.

Currently working on natural gas engines (V24, 146000 ccm, ~6000HP)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome! I did some work as a contractor for Kinder Morgan on their big natural gas reversal project. Those engines and turbines are no joke!

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
26 years as a police officer, last 7 as a patrol supervisor.. 179 days to go til retirement....

Man, what a rough time to be going through your last several months until retirement. Here's to hoping you and the rest of our officers here don't have to rough of a go with it. My FIL is an officer as well so I get to see some of what you guys deal with.

myles

Reaction score
Have a small concrete cutting & breaking company. 95% of our work is in distribution warehouses like Amazon, we cut out new doors, windows etc... We have actually done a lot of work at the Amazon that burnt down recently in Southern California.

Last edited:

brotherGood

Reaction score
I pretty much run a shipping department for a partition company. We make (basically) cardboard dividers for anything from glass bottles to automotive components. I always get a kick when we're making certain parts going to Automotive customers, as some of them are very detailed with what they're used to divide (favorite would be the Tigershark partition)

Make way more money than I did selling cars, so I manage my sanity.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Main job is installing and servicing stair lifts and vertical platform lifts. Been with the same company for 38 years (I'm 58). Went to college for computer science back in the early 80's - wrote and still maintain our main system software (Informix 4gl and Informix SQL - running on a SCO Unix Box)

SCO huh? Now there is a company I was never so happy to see go under. Bunch of greedy money grabbers, though Oracle is hot on their heals. :)

Never had the opportunity to use their flavour of Unix, but I think it had a good reputation back in the day. How did you like it (I'm assuming you have good thoughts considering the product is still running many years later), you have any thoughts on that compared to todays "big iron" (linux + postgres would probably come closest)?

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
Day job: program and product manager for tech/business modernization work in the federal government. Bounced all around for the last 16 years in the private sector and federal government (contractor and now as a fed).

Side hustles: swim coach for two teams, subscription bacon, swimming pool competition equipment, swim coaching tech, small business consulting, and a cloud storage integrator. Hopefully they'll take off enough that within 3-5 years I can quit my day job and work on them full time.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Police Officer for about 6 years now.
Stay safe out there. Lot of hate being thrown at police officers these days.

Me, I’m retiring at the end of the month. In my previous early life, I was a union Ironworker in Baton Rouge. Worked mostly in the plants up and down the Mississippi and did a couple of stents during the construction of a nuclear power plant in St. Francisville, La.

At about 30, I decided to go to college (LSU) and then to law school (LSU). After law school, I was a trial lawyer in the Texas Attorney General’s Law Enforcement Defense Division for 7 years where we defended state law enforcement officers and officials when they were sued civilly. Got burned out on the travel and started as an in house lawyer at a large Texas state agency. I’ve got 17 more work days and then I join the ranks of the retired.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Started as a PaperBoy delivering newspapers, did some Hay bailing and loading, then Fast food, then 21 years Air Force as a Space and Cyberspace Operator which included being a Firefighter ERT (1.5 years) and Police (2 years Security Forces Augmentee), then retired 6 years ago, and now a DOD Contractor for the Space Force keeping everything from colliding in space.

LamboTexas

Reaction score
Stay safe out there. Lot of hate being thrown at police officers these days.

Me, I’m retiring at the end of the month. In my previous early life, I was a union Ironworker in Baton Rouge. Worked mostly in the plants up and down the Mississippi and did a couple of stents during the construction of a nuclear power plant in St. Francisville, La.

At about 30, I decided to go to college (LSU) and then to law school (LSU). After law school, I was a trial lawyer in the Texas Attorney General’s Law Enforcement Defense Division for 7 years where we defended state law enforcement officers and officials when they were sued civilly. Got burned out on the travel and started as an in house lawyer at a large Texas state agency. I’ve got 17 more work days and then I join the ranks of the retired.
Congrats!! Well deserved! Enjoy all the “free” time!

BamaEngineer

Reaction score
Own Family Firearms in Troy, AL and LOCK-N-LOAD in Enterprise, AL... guns, ammo, optics, etc.

Just drove through Troy yesterday on our way back down to Florida from Montgomery.

Maintenance Management for a large fertilizer manufacturing facility.

Roll Tide

2020 Laramie EcoDiesel 2WD - Billet Silver
Bone stock!

Users who are viewing this thread