5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What does everyone do for a living?

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Noticed some people mention their careers and I'm always interested in what other people do for a living.

I'm an Instrumentation and Controls Technician. We're basically glorified industrial electricians who focus on calibration of instruments and programming of industrial logic. I've been fortunate enough to work in and around various industries such as Oil/Gas, Powergen, Wastewater, Automotive, Aviation and currently Food/Bev. I really love my job and encourage people to look into it or other trades as we're staring down a real shortage of tradesmen in the upcoming years.

I'd love to hear what you guys do!

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Retired....... Sold Industrial/Construction equipment for 21 years. Nice thread Grape!
Thanks! Awesome to hear. Hope you're enjoying your retirement. As a young man it's daunting to think I'll have another 30-35 years of working before I'm "retirement age".

Also, if your username is for UGA then I'm loving it! Really hoping we get a football season this year but it's not looking good.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am a union Pipefitter. Working on the building trades side of things. I’ve worked in the field as a foreman but most of my career has been spent running fabrication shops. Most of what I’ve done on that side is piping for refineries. Definitely not my life’s dream, but it is a good career no doubt. I’m hopfully half way to retirement

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mentioned in the other thread, I'm in the industrial bearing & power transmission field, prior to that my first job at age 12 was a commercial fishing deckhand for my dads boat. We crawfished, shrimped, ran hoop nets and trout lines for catfish to sell at seafood markets then dip shad and slicker on the Mississippi River for the crawfish season and sold as bait. Taught me a lot about work ethic and what hard work really is, especially as a teenager. He then bought a pawn and gun store, worked there during the week then we traveled the southeast doing gun shows every weekend. I did that until I was 17-18 then got into Bearing & PT and have been since 1989-90. Currently GM with a locally owned business out of New Orleans, been here since 1994. Still have 20 years until retirement.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m probably one of the outliers here, but I’m a CPA. More specifically I’m a Wealth Advisor at a Wealth Management and Accounting firm. I love what I do and working with people, but I come from a blue collar family and love having some different interests than some of my coworkers! Luckily I work at a place where a lot of people have trucks/jeeps and like to go hunting and fishing tho ;)

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
I’m in IT and work for a local state hospital. I started as a “delivery of, move and install equipment” sort of role but have grown to support a much wider range of things. I am capable of covering the department, and have also got my eyes on moving up the chain when some colleagues retire in the next few years. ;)

I also own my own business of buying/selling server-grade equipment, but that’s still a WIP. I’m getting it all registered and such in the coming weeks so that I can comply with all rules, regs and tax annoyances. :D

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m in IT and work for a local state hospital. I started as a “delivery of, move and install equipment” sort of role but have grown to support a much wider range of things. I am capable of covering the department, and have also got my eyes on moving up the chain when some colleagues retire in the next few years. ;)

I also own my own business of buying/selling server-grade equipment, but that’s still a WIP. I’m getting it all registered and such in the coming weeks so that I can comply with all rules, regs and tax annoyances. :D
Good luck with your side business! I’m sure you’ll have a bright future in that. Taxes are annoying, aren’t they ;)

Users who are viewing this thread