5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you think about the new F150?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good luck with this. The hardcore v8 sound enthusiasts will never agree with you that the v6 with turbos is superior....even though it is in every metric other than sound. :unsure:

True although the Hemi Ram's have gotten progressively more quiet at least in stock form. You have to put a cat back or at least muffler swap to wake them up sound wise.

Stevenc150

Reaction score
He is because he is correct. The 3.5 Ecoboost has more power, more torque, much lower onset of peak torque, and better fuel mileage than the 5.7 HEMI. And then add in a cheap tune and you get another lik 60hp/80tq. The Ecoboost is better than the HEMI. Heck, a friend of mine just towed his 4K boat to Michigan for fishing, loaded Limited Ecoboost and he got 19mpg. Another friend went to MD, not towing, another Limited Ecoboost, average 24.5mpg. A HEMI will never touch that....
Still, comparing a Twin-Turbocharged V6 to a natural aspirated V8 is comparing apples to oranges.

And it being "better" is a matter of perspective. if Ram offered a twin-turbo'd V6 or the Hemi V8...I'd take the Hemi. I steer clear of the turbos and inherent issues/probs that can plague them

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Still, comparing a Twin-Turbocharged V6 to a natural aspirated V8 is comparing apples to oranges.

And it being "better" is a matter of perspective. if Ram offered a twin-turbo'd V6 or the Hemi V8...I'd take the Hemi. I steer clear of the turbos and inherent issues/probs that can plague them
I actually had the Ford salesman tell me to take the V8 over the V6 if I was going to keep the F150 long term.

jkm312

Reaction score
Nope, keeping the RAM.

I looked at an F150 several times before I bought the RAM. Stacked a Lariat to the Laramie. 5.0 V8 to the 5.3 Hemi. I did not care for the 10 speed transmission, just too busy. Didn't care for the interior after being in a Limited. I really didn't care for the extra $$$ between the two trucks.

I just sat in a Limited and looked at the interior without driving it, they had not been out all that long. It was absolutely the most comfortable truck I have ever been in. I didn't drive one until late winter. That was it, velvet smooth ride, comfortable interior, and a V8. I ordered exactly what I wanted. NO regrets.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Good luck with this. The hardcore v8 sound enthusiasts will never agree with you that the v6 with turbos is superior....even though it is in every metric other than sound. :unsure:

More importantly, the difference in engines isn't really meaningful. Especially when the truck is new. Ten years from now the non-turbo pushrod V8 should be much less expensive to maintain than the twin turbo DOHC 4-valve DI V6. The Hemi may get DI in 2021 or 2022.

But with new Silverados and F150s out there, we now know the RAM will remain the best overall 1/2 ton pickup for at least the next 4-5 years. Its interior is nicer. Its electronics are at least comparable. But the 4-link rear suspension and optional air suspension are a huge cut above the competition. RAMBox has no equivalent. And when they add the step the RAM 1500 multifunction tailgate is probably also best.

It would be nice if they put the powered trailer towing mirrors on the 1500. The MFT is missing its step and the builtins steps on the GM trucks are nice. And without RAMBox the MFT ahs awkward braces. And LED lights for all models would be nice.

But...the chassis is just plain better.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Turbos usually end up being nightmares, too many moving parts. They also run like **** in hot humid weather. I've had 7 various turbo vehicles and almost all suffered from inconsistent power delivery, except the Cummins 5.9 12 valve

kmayer

Reaction score
I like the ram exterior and Interior styling and ram boxes as well as coil / air rear suspension. But I prefer the more powerful engine, legit hybrid, turbo (off set elevation hp loss), And 10 speed transmission of the f150. Also the Onboard generator Is cool idea for us campers. Torn between which to get.

Users who are viewing this thread