5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Direct-fit Muffler should I get?

The_Dominator

Reaction score
I am struggling to decide which
direct fit muffler to get for my 2019 5.7L Big Horn.
I have looked at the Flowmaster Outlaw, Flowmaster FX, and the Carven.
I want the sound to be noticeable and louder than stock of course, but don't want something that is going to drone bad on the highway and be annoying. I want to be able to still talk with passengers and listen to the radio, but be heard when I step on it.
What is everyone's opinion?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Flowmaster Outlaw is probably the best one based on what you want. The Carven is also good, more of a raspy sound in comparison, a little louder overall. Neither should drone on the highway assuming you leave all 3 resonators in place.

If you want to do the install, get the direct fit. If you plan on having a muffler shop do the install, just have them custom pipe a Outlaw. You will save some money and have a more secure installation with welds instead of clamps.

JohnJohn301

Reaction score
I just did Flowmaster FlowFX on my week old 1500 Rebel.
For me its a nice balance of deep tone, no drone but comes alive if you put your foot into it. Cab is still very comfortable sound level for music or conversation. The sound level is enough to know it's there without blowing up your neighbors. Personally, I wouldn't want it any louder.
And - I did it myself in about an hour and the install is spot-on.
Flowmaster FlowFX

Rambro23

Reaction score
Magnaflow cat-back cant be beat! Get what ya pay for.

James1414d

Reaction score
I have the Flowmaster FX as well. The Outlaw is pretty loud based on some vids I've seen. I don't know about the Craven.

I think if the resonators are left in place, they mitigate drone from any muffler replacement. Mine is stock except the muffler and I don't have any drone.

badassbaldie

Reaction score
I have the Mufflex muffler delete (DODNGMD) and I absolutely love it. While it noticeably louder than stock, it's not obnoxious like you'd expect from a muffler delete. It's actually much quieter in the cab than the Mufflex DD14 I had on my 2015 Sport. The drone on that system was terrible at around 1500 RPMs. I think since the 5th gen Rams have 3 resonators on their exhaust, it really helps with the sound. Almost no drone at cruising speeds and you can easily hold a conversation with someone in the truck.

The exhaust note at normal acceleration is very manageable (i.e won't **** off your neighbors) but WOT will definitely get some attention. Took me about 25 minutes to install and that was with me taking my time. Super easy to do. Price was $213 shipped.

James1414d

Reaction score
I have the Mufflex muffler delete (DODNGMD) and I absolutely love it. While it noticeably louder than stock, it's not obnoxious like you'd expect from a muffler delete. It's actually much quieter in the cab than the Mufflex DD14 I had on my 2015 Sport. The drone on that system was terrible at around 1500 RPMs. I think since the 5th gen Rams have 3 resonators on their exhaust, it really helps with the sound. Almost no drone at cruising speeds and you can easily hold a conversation with someone in the truck.

The exhaust note at normal acceleration is very manageable (i.e won't **** off your neighbors) but WOT will definitely get some attention. Took me about 25 minutes to install and that was with me taking my time. Super easy to do. Price was $213 shipped.

Looks like something an exhaust shop could make fairly cheap.

timmbos

Reaction score
Flowmaster FX. It's got a really nice deep bass tone to it. Not overly loud, raspy or trumpety. It really comes alive when you tromp on the go pedal. I will warn you that when the truck goes into 4 cylinder mode it can be a little obnoxious at low rpms and speed. There is a reason why the factory muffler is the size of a 55 gallon drum and that's to calm the drone from 4 cylinder mode. I don't do much low speed cruising anyway. But if it gets on my nerves I just push the gear limit "+" on the steering wheel to bypass 4 cylinder mode. That said overall I love the Flowmaster FX. Easy install in the driveway using a reciprocating saw.

James1414d

Reaction score
Flowmaster FX. It's got a really nice deep bass tone to it. Not overly loud, raspy or trumpety. It really comes alive when you tromp on the go pedal. I will warn you that when the truck goes into 4 cylinder mode it can be a little obnoxious at low rpms and speed. There is a reason why the factory muffler is the size of a 55 gallon drum and that's to calm the drone from 4 cylinder mode. I don't do much low speed cruising anyway. But if it gets on my nerves I just push the gear limit "+" on the steering wheel to bypass 4 cylinder mode. That said overall I love the Flowmaster FX. Easy install in the driveway using a reciprocating saw.
I have the same. Agreed on all counts. Never tried the gear limit trick

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I got the B2 Magnaflow muffler and I absolutely love it. It's the perfect sound, just what I was looking for. Not too loud and zero drone.
Same here. Loving it, except when MDS kicks in, but getting used to it now.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had to work on a 2019 Classic yesterday with 2200 miles on it.
It had a CARVEN exhaust .. has anyone else seen that brand?
We fired it up (also had a K&N CAI) and everyone swore it was a Hellcat.
sounds GOOOOOOooooD .. but wonder if there was any drone on the interstate.

_StangPGH

Reaction score
Same here. Loving it, except when MDS kicks in, but getting used to it now.
Ditto! I really don't see the need for a complete cat back on these rigs. B2 MF sounds perfect.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Ditto! I really don't see the need for a complete cat back on these rigs. B2 MF sounds perfect.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Funny thing with mine. I could swear that it has gotten a little bit quieter, not louder (which is a good thing for me). Still have the nice deep growl, but when cruising at low speed on my super short .9 mile commute, it feels a lot quieter. Perhaps someone else with this setup can chime in and confirm I'm not crazy? :unsure:

Thanks,

deanfx

Reaction score
I had to work on a 2019 Classic yesterday with 2200 miles on it.
It had a CARVEN exhaust .. has anyone else seen that brand?
We fired it up (also had a K&N CAI) and everyone swore it was a Hellcat.
sounds GOOOOOOooooD .. but wonder if there was any drone on the interstate.

Carven is legit. It just took them too long to make a product when I purchased my DT.

manrig

Reaction score
Like the OP, I’m really struggling with picking a direct fit. From the comments I’ve read here, and from what I can find researching the web, I think I’ve determined that the best options for me are the more moderate Flowmaster FlowFX and P2 Magnaflow.

I think I’d probably be happy with either, but has anyone happened to hear both? I’m sure each has a unique quality, and still curious what that might be. Perhaps one is known to have a lower tone or some other difference? Wish I had more past experience to be brand loyal to one or the other...would make for a fast decision.

I’m to the point of considering buying both and comparing, which is crazy. Really need to work on my decision making skills... :)

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Like the OP, I’m really struggling with picking a direct fit. From the comments I’ve read here, and from what I can find researching the web, I think I’ve determined that the best options for me are the more moderate Flowmaster FlowFX and P2 Magnaflow.

I think I’d probably be happy with either, but has anyone happened to hear both? I’m sure each has a unique quality, and still curious what that might be. Perhaps one is known to have a lower tone or some other difference? Wish I had more past experience to be brand loyal to one or the other...would make for a fast decision.

I’m to the point of considering buying both and comparing, which is crazy. Really need to work on my decision making skills... :)
If you’re willing to get both, just settle on one and get it. You can always swap it for something different you find out you don’t like the sound.

I am loving my B2 Fab MF. Perfect sound in my opinion.

manrig

Reaction score
If you’re willing to get both, just settle on one and get it. You can always swap it for something different you find out you don’t like the sound.

I am loving my B2 Fab MF. Perfect sound in my opinion.

Yes, need to just pull the trigger. I just realized that the Flowmaster FlowFX line is not chambered like other Flowmasters, but is packed and has an internal design that looks extremely similar to the Magnaflow. Only thing I can’t tell is if it’s also a 14” design. It may be that they actually sound almost identical anyway...

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The problem is no video is going to capture exactly the way they sound in person, all the little nuances you will notice later.

Also, everyone has different taste to what is loud or quiet. When I was researching the Outlaw, some people thought it was perfect, others too loud and others too quiet. Unfortunately, these are one of those things where you need to go with your gut.

If you don't have to do this DIY, I highly recommend you don't buy the direct fit systems. Instead, spend your money on a custom install with those mufflers. That way you can change them easily and affordably without wasting money on a direct fit you may not be happy with. Most of these mufflers for custom install are just under $100. Custom fit with labor is about $150-$175. The change out a muffler later will be easy along with changing out resonators to tune it the way you like. This is of course assuming you have a good muffler shop.

Users who are viewing this thread