5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

Davidbt

Reaction score
I am really close to tinting my front windows this Spring. They are illegal where I am and I'm a little scared by all the posts online where people got fined and/or told to scrape them off on the spot.

But I talked to a random dude with tint on his truck yesterday and he says he's never had a problem, even when stopped by cops. According to him, his neighbor (who is a cop) says that as long as police can see through one window and out the other, they won't worry about it. I'm not hanging my hat on his story but it did help convince me a little more.
When I bought my truck used in September 2022, it already had the dark front windows. Last year I was pulling out of a parking lot and a patrol car was passing by in front of me. He turned around and pulled me over and put their tool on my window and showed me how illegal it was. He said it was a warning and eventually I would get a ticket. I had the tint removed and made legal, which I had planned to do anyway.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have no issue with the clip. It holds my iPhone 14 Pro with a case nice and snug. It doesn’t budge at all. I do like how you can slide the phone up and down in the clip for better positioning. Not in the road view or distracting at all. My feet with the mag is that it’s one position. (I can’t move the arm down any lower because it’s touching the dash already). It’s all personal preference.

View attachment 180522

I have a Rubigrid base, but that's why I prefer RAM (and aftermarket) 1" (B size) ball mounts as you're not locked into a single source and can get all sorts of adapters for different devices.

Egret

Reaction score
Today I installed a Gator SR1 Pro Roll-up Tonneau cover. I went back and forth on which roll-up cover to get. I was generally considering the Access Original and Lorado covers ($627), and the Truxedo Lo Pro ($550). But I was constantly seeing reviews that said that many of the less expensive roll-up covers were just as good. Gator was consistently getting great reviews, and there are several 5-year review videos on YouTube with the Gator performing really well. Last year, I think it was selling for under $300 (on sale), and I bought mine last week for $349.

I just installed it, and it looks great! Installation was very straight forward. The fore/aft tension of the tarp is established by an integrated spring - so there's no manual adjustment needed. The tension is always automatically applied through the spring. The rails mount on top of the bed cap, and the cover sits 1.5" above the cap. This is the standard height - low profile versions range from 0.75" to 1.0" in height. (Personally, I don't think it looks too different, and I like the look of the standard height.)

There's a trigger latch on each side (driver and passenger) that needs to be released to roll-up the cover. And the tarp itself looks really nice. Overall, I'm super happy with the Gator cover and it seems perfect. And I saved between $200 - $300 that will be going towards running boards :)

IMG_0506.jpg IMG_0519.jpg IMG_0520.jpg

@AnthonyRI

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Today I installed a Gator SR1 Pro Roll-up Tonneau cover. I went back and forth on which roll-up cover to get. I was generally considering the Access Original and Lorado covers ($627), and the Truxedo Lo Pro ($550). But I was constantly seeing reviews that said that many of the less expensive roll-up covers were just as good. Gator was consistently getting great reviews, and there are several 5-year review videos on YouTube with the Gator performing really well. Last year, I think it was selling for under $300 (on sale), and I bought mine last week for $349.

I just installed it, and it looks great! Installation was very straight forward. The fore/aft tension of the tarp is established by an integrated spring - so there's no manual adjustment needed. The tension is always automatically applied through the spring. The rails mount on top of the bed cap, and the cover sits 1.5" above the cap. This is the standard height - low profile versions range from 0.75" to 1.0" in height. (Personally, I don't think it looks too different, and I like the look of the standard height.)

There's a trigger latch on each side (driver and passenger) that needs to be released to roll-up the cover. And the tarp itself looks really nice. Overall, I'm super happy with the Gator cover and it seems perfect. And I saved between $200 - $300 that will be going towards running boards :)

View attachment 180542 View attachment 180543 View attachment 180544

@AnthonyRI
I have the Gator ETX low pro one on my truck. Over three years on the truck and no issues. After I wash truck, still looks like the day I installed it. Haven't had to adjust it at all for stretching

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score

View attachment 180542 View attachment 180543 View attachment 180544

@AnthonyRI
do people ever cut these things to gain access?
not trying to be funny, just never gave any thought to one.
now wife wants a way to store stuff that will not get wet when it rains at the places we go.
we usually just move everything into the back seats but she wants a change.

JamRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
now wife wants a way to store stuff that will not get wet when it rains at the places we go.
I've never heard of it happening, but it wouldn't be difficult to cut at all.

I got a similar amazon knock-off 2 days before getting the truck. It's still going strong without incident.

Davidbt

Reaction score
On my 2016 2500, I had a tri fold cover. I then had a 2016 3500, a 2022 Gladiator, and my 2021 1500 and have had the soft roll ups on the last three. Never had a problem.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One of those out of sight, out of mind type things. I'm sure if you are in a higher crime area, maybe.

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am really close to tinting my front windows this Spring. They are illegal where I am and I'm a little scared by all the posts online where people got fined and/or told to scrape them off on the spot.

But I talked to a random dude with tint on his truck yesterday and he says he's never had a problem, even when stopped by cops. According to him, his neighbor (who is a cop) says that as long as police can see through one window and out the other, they won't worry about it. I'm not hanging my hat on his story but it did help convince me a little more.
I’ve had mine done 25% tint. Got one warning in 3 years. I always make sure my window is down before they walk up when I get pulled over for various unknown reasons. IMG_3021.jpeg

DOFF

Reaction score
Threw the Carli /King performance system suspension at the truck and added some new tires and wheels.
How’s it ride? Been leaning toward the Fox PE but keep looking at Carli performance too

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s cute but not as cool as the course motorsports mount!
i see that and I raise you ICS fabrication mount with 64Design holders!
only reason i went with ICS are because I used them before and course doesn't make that mount for 12" screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online