5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

DCRAM

Reaction score
Installed some new Baja's with Corey's (5thgen.ram) new grill kit! They are out here in the wild now. Check it out at SKTCUSTOMS.COM. great build quality and super simple install. Customer service couldn't be better
Looks great - really wish these were available for the HD bumper!

mtjag

Reaction score
Just replaced the fluids in the Front Diff, Rear Diff, and Transfer Case. Truck is about to hit 50,000 miles. Went with Valvoline Synthetic in the appropriate weights for the front and rear. Redline MT-LV for the transfer case. Rear diff smelled awful and looked kinda cloudy when draining. Front and transfer case looked great.
I see you use Redline MT-LV 70W/75W GL-4 for your transfer case. Is your transfer case a 48-11 with 4wd auto? Any issues cause I'm getting ready to do my first transfer case fluid change? Thanks.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I see you use Redline MT-LV 70W/75W GL-4 for your transfer case. Is your transfer case a 48-11 with 4wd auto? Any issues cause I'm getting ready to do my first transfer case fluid change? Thanks.

No issues. Truck seems to be doing great. I'm at 54,000 miles now. So I guess I've put around 5,000 miles on it. I use 4auto pretty regularly in the rain. My tires/truck loves to break the rear end loose when the ground is wet.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
What battery did you go with? I just recently replaced my battery and went with the Duracell AGM battery, so far so good.

JamRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What battery did you go with? I just recently replaced my battery and went with the Duracell AGM battery, so far so good.

To answer your question, I will write an epistle:

I woke up yesterday morning to a frigid -17 degrees celcius. I got dressed for work, the kids got dressed for school, we all ran out and piled into the truck and she started right up. But once she did the diagnostics run, the CEL, traction control light, and parking brake light stayed ono_O. I checked, and my parking brake was indeed disengaged (I never use it anyway). I turned the truck back off then on again and got the same thing.

I was like, "whatever. I will just drive till the sensors figure themselves out". Put the truck in reverse and the autocorrect brings it back to Park. I'm like....woah!:unsure:

This went on for like 5 minutes. I couldn't engage any gear, it just kept autocorrecting back to Park. Tried to fiddle with the 4WD options to see if that would trigger some unlocking but those wouldn't engage either. With the kids in the back waiting for take off, I called the dealership and they said to make sure all my doors were closed. They were. :cautious:

"Well, that's as far as we can suggest over the phone. You will need to have it towed in.", was the final speech. (Thanks for nothing miss service advisor!)

At that point, I recognized that my morning was completely hooped. I turned the truck off and went to get out, then a message popped up reminding me to put the vehicle in Park. THE GOSHDARN THNG WAS ALREADY IN PARK!!!!:mad: BUTTT because it thought it wasn't, it would not turn all the way off. It stayed on 'Acc'.

I left it there and we went back in where I had to get the kids settled and set-up quickly for a meeting that I had to move online. After sequential meetings, I decided to call the tow truck to come get it, but said I would try to see if things had settled down.

Went back out and, of course, the battery was dead. I got my booster pack and started the engine......NO LIGHTS ON DASH, GEAR SELECTOR WORKS.....😮

I remembered how everyone says that these vehicles throw tantrums when they aren't electrically satiated so I decided to just go and grab a battery. Well wouldn't you know it - in my little corner of the world, both costco and walmart were out of H7, 94R, or H8 batteries. NAPA had some, but I wasn't prepared for the $400 price tag.😒

Eventually I found a generic battery shop that had 94Rs in stock. So yeah.....I have a run-of-the-mill store-branded $200 CDN 94R power source under the hood that has a 2 year warranty. It is what it is!

Last edited:

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yeah the clogging up part is the part that drives me away from oiled filter.
with where i am in the convoy that's guaranteed to happen.

Yep. Definitely better to just let that dirt go into the motor.

LOL!

Okay, being snarky, but really just trying to be a little funny while making a serious point.

If driving conditions will clog up an oiled filter often, then changing to a non-oiled filter so it doesn't clog, well, that is not making the air coming into the airbox any less dirty, so....

Not sure how feasible it is for these truck filters, but back when I was doing a lot of dirt biking, we would have a few filters. Oil them and put them into individual ziploc bags. Go riding somewhere for a weekend. Check the filter every so often. If it was caked, then just swap the dirty one out for a clean one, ready to go, from a ziploc. Clean and re-prep the dirty ones after getting home.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
To answer your question, I will write an epistle:

I woke up yesterday morning to a frigid -17 degrees celcius. I got dressed for work, the kids got dressed for school, we all ran out and piled into the truck and she started right up. But once she did the diagnostics run, the CEL, traction control light, and parking brake light stayed ono_O. I checked, and my parking brake was indeed disengaged (I never use it anyway). I turned the truck back off then on again and got the same thing.

I was like, "whatever. I will just drive till the sensors figure themselves out". Put the truck in reverse and the autocorrect brings it back to Park. I'm like....woah!:unsure:

This went on for like 5 minutes. I couldn't engage any gear, it just kept autocorrecting back to Park. Tried to fiddle with the 4WD options to see if that would trigger some unlocking but those wouldn't engage either. With the kids in the back waiting for take off, I called the dealership and they said to make sure all my doors were closed. They were. :cautious:

"Well, that's as far as we can suggest over the phone. You will need to have it towed in.", was the final speech. (Thanks for nothing miss service advisor!)

At that point, I recognized that my morning was completely hooped. I turned the truck off and went to get out, then a message popped up reminding me to put the vehicle in Park. THE GOSHDARN THNG WAS ALREADY IN PARK!!!!:mad: BUTTT because it thought it wasn't, it would not turn all the way off. It stayed on 'Acc'.

I left it there and we went back in where I had to get the kids settled and set-up quickly for a meeting that I had to move online. After sequential meetings, I decided to call the tow truck to come get it, but said I would try to see if things had settled down.

Went back out and, of course, the battery was dead. I got my booster pack and started the engine......NO LIGHTS ON DASH, GEAR SELECTOR WORKS.....😮

I remembered how everyone says that these vehicles throw tantrums when they aren't electrically satiated so I decided to just go and grab a battery. Well wouldn't you know it - in my little corner of the world, both costco and walmart were out of H7, 94R, or H8 batteries. NAPA had some, but I wasn't prepared for the $400 price tag.😒

Eventually I found a generic battery shop called 'Battery Boss' that had 94Rs in stock. So yeah.....I have a run-of-the-mill store-branded $200 CDN 94R power source under the hood that has a 2 year warranty. It is what it is!

Autocorrect??

JamRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just ordered tires for my truck, which should be here tomorrow. $1100 later

I've finally arrived at the place where I no longer balk at the price of tires. Of all the things on the truck they might be the ones with the most value for money (so far).

$1100 for peace-of-mind every 3 - 4 years (depending on the amount of driving you do) is acceptable in my book.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've finally arrived at the place where I no longer balk at the price of tires. Of all the things on the truck they might be the ones with the most value for money (so far).

$1100 for peace-of-mind every 3 - 4 years (depending on the amount of driving you do) is acceptable in my book.
I agree and the new tires will have a 70k warranty so I am happy. The originals are pushing 4 years and they are looking questionable.

I can be cheap at times, but with tires, I always go for the quality, tires are vital to the safety of everyone around ya while on the road. I've seen way too many avoidable incidents had owners maintained their tires.

Users who are viewing this thread