5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’ll probably end up with that one since the Insider has been hard to find without a stupid price markup. Grainger has it for $455 and the Depot is $299

I have the insider and love it, the extended reach has been helpful every time I've used it. Used it yesterday to mount my pressure washer hose reel. Space was too tight for impact with a swivel but the long reach worked great. Same when changing out the water pump on my wife's car.

Didn't know they'd jumped up to $3-400 though :oops:. I paid less than $200 last summer.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
vararam is oiled filter iirc... i don't wanna f with that lol
I mean, filter comes pre-oiled. Still have to clean it the same as a re-usable dry filter. I bought a second filter to swap back and forth so I don't have any downtime and can take my time to clean the dirty filter. I don't see any real downside

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
it's the vevor one that my friend built with 3D printed kit bought off Etsy. He built that way before the Hcalory one came out.
Mine's still in the box and yet to be assembled lol.
this is the hose i use. pretty reliable and doesn't break easily. In the pic the hose is about 8ft or so long but i did buy the 16ft one. I had to cut about half for my friend to use at camp the other day because he forgot to bring his.

the tailgate's fine having it sit there. I ran it for over 24 hours trying to burn off the last gallon of diesel I have sitting since next time I run the diesel heater may be a month from now and the tailgate's still ok. The heater does come with an exhaust pipe that I use when at camp but I was too lazy to dig it out of the gray boxes lol. I do have the mountain hatch tailgate insert so that worked out just fine.

I ran the heater via the 100ah lifepo4 battery I have in the bed. I built a secondary battery/ camper battery just for that and run the heater. 100ah lasts over 24 hours of continuous run!
Thanks. That's the same hose I had been looking at. Good to know.

I'd been thinking of different places to set it. Tailgate, ground or hang from the tent. Tailgate didn't seem safe and I always prefer to close it at night anyway. I have a hard cover and bed rug, and just don't like moisture in the bed.

16' should be plenty of hose to find a place.

Was going to try it out at a campground next weekend, but the kids want to go, so dragging the trailer out.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I finally got around to putting on my side stripe. Hoping to get a matching color "Rebel" for the tailgate.

Need to decide if and what for the hood. Either black stripes with yellow surround or black topographic with yellow ""Rebel".

That's probably all the Rebel will get for a while. Just pulled the bed off the 64 C10. Need to get the rest of the body off and dig into the engine.

20240211_195537.jpg 20240211_195545.jpg

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I mean, filter comes pre-oiled. Still have to clean it the same as a re-usable dry filter. I bought a second filter to swap back and forth so I don't have any downtime and can take my time to clean the dirty filter. I don't see any real downside
can you run it without applying oil?
i thought the pre-oiled ones can't be run dry.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. That's the same hose I had been looking at. Good to know.

I'd been thinking of different places to set it. Tailgate, ground or hang from the tent. Tailgate didn't seem safe and I always prefer to close it at night anyway. I have a hard cover and bed rug, and just don't like moisture in the bed.

16' should be plenty of hose to find a place.

Was going to try it out at a campground next weekend, but the kids want to go, so dragging the trailer out.
i do have a small camping table that I keep inside the truck and use that for the heater when camping. I set it on the tailgate since I was at home and was too lazy to assemble the table.
Table is better when you run the exhaust pipe with the muffler, since the muffler needs to be pointed down anyways.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
can you run it without applying oil?
i thought the pre-oiled ones can't be run dry.
I mean, you can, they just don't filter as well. I'm still not understanding the dislike of oiled filters.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i do have a small camping table that I keep inside the truck and use that for the heater when camping. I set it on the tailgate since I was at home and was too lazy to assemble the table.
Table is better when you run the exhaust pipe with the muffler, since the muffler needs to be pointed down anyways.
Hmmm... I always bring a small table too, but it's not the most sturdy... maybe I could bungee it to the ladder or something.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I mean, you can, they just don't filter as well. I'm still not understanding the dislike of oiled filters.
for dusty conditions oiled filters trap more dirt. no bueno for my application since i'm usually the last one in the convoy to make sure everyone's good.
that's how i get my filter that dirty lol

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm... I always bring a small table too, but it's not the most sturdy... maybe I could bungee it to the ladder or something.
you can if you make sure you don't kick it lol.
i wanted to get a tire table just for that but i got the small table for free so figured why not lol it's just there to elevate the heater anyways.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
for dusty conditions oiled filters trap more dirt. no bueno for my application since i'm usually the last one in the convoy to make sure everyone's good.
that's how i get my filter that dirty lol
I mean, that's kind of the point of the filter. If it's trapping more dirt, then that's less dirt getting through. If both filters are used in the same conditions, and both filter good they should both collect the same amount of dirt

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I mean, that's kind of the point of the filter. If it's trapping more dirt, then that's less dirt getting through. If both filters are used in the same conditions, and both filter good they should both collect the same amount of dirt
The choice between a dry or oiled air filter largely depends on your personal preferences, driving conditions, and maintenance habits. If you’re looking for an easy-to-maintain filter a dry filter might be the better option. If you prioritize maximum filtration and don’t mind the additional maintenance, an oiled filter could be a better choice.

Both dry and oiled filters have their advantages and drawbacks. Choosing the right filter for your vehicle comes down to your personal preferences, driving conditions, and willingness to perform maintenance.

Dry filters are easier to maintain and less messy. However, they might not offer the same level of filtration efficiency as oiled filters and may need more frequent replacement.

On the other hand oiled filters provide superior filtration and a longer lifespan but require more frequent cleaning and proper oiling. They are also not the best option for dusty conditions as the filter will get clogged up much more frequently.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
that makes sense.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The choice between a dry or oiled air filter largely depends on your personal preferences, driving conditions, and maintenance habits. If you’re looking for an easy-to-maintain filter a dry filter might be the better option. If you prioritize maximum filtration and don’t mind the additional maintenance, an oiled filter could be a better choice.

Both dry and oiled filters have their advantages and drawbacks. Choosing the right filter for your vehicle comes down to your personal preferences, driving conditions, and willingness to perform maintenance.

Dry filters are easier to maintain and less messy. However, they might not offer the same level of filtration efficiency as oiled filters and may need more frequent replacement.

On the other hand oiled filters provide superior filtration and a longer lifespan but require more frequent cleaning and proper oiling. They are also not the best option for dusty conditions as the filter will get clogged up much more frequently.
yeah the clogging up part is the part that drives me away from oiled filter.
with where i am in the convoy that's guaranteed to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread