5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

RRRAAAAMMMM2020

Reaction score
I think you’ll be hard pressed to find many of us with a Hemi getting over 20mpg at 75mph, to be honest.

I haven’t done anything to help fuel mileage with 33” aggressive tires and a lift, but I’d be happy to see 16-17mpg on the highway. My truck never saw over 18mpg in stock trim.

Anyways, I guess my opinion is not to buy a Hemi if your only goal is to improve fuel economy. Hopefully you find enjoyment in other aspects. I’m really happy with my Ram selection, but not at all based on fuel economy!

Thanks for the input and as you mentioned a truck is about much more than fuel economy. With that said I will be test driving both gear ratio's of the Ram to see if one or both suit my driving style/daily commute. I am very intrigued by the utility and that will be a major factor

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
Picked up a fully boxed, "Rooms to Go" Bed, Dresser and Nightstand in the Ram today. Along with my hand cart there was plenty room to spare.

I do need to remember to remove the rubber bed mat next time before trying to slide heavy things in the bed. The mat did its job by not allowing anything to slide :)

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
That's definitely worse than I thought. I was originally looking at the Diesel and test drove it but not sure about reliability and taking a long time to make the $ recovery work. I'm going to test drive the 5.7L with both gear boxes next week and see what makes more sense for my daily driver (only the gear ratio is currently undecided). I am considering making the switch to Ram for more utility (RamBox + Multi Tailgate) than my 2018 3.5L Ecoboost provides. The EcoBoost can never seem to get over 19/20 on the highway (70-75pmh) and I heard the Ram 5.7 can depending on driving style (I am definitely not heavy footed)
I believe my truck has an issue.
I brought it in with a noise complaint stating sounds like an exhaust leak or lifter tick.

Dealer said its just fuel injectors being loud. I walked out in disagreement.

My average is far worse last few tanks of gas.

12.8MPG COMBINED OVER 1600 MILES.

I am 98% certain its a lifter.

I will call ram cares some point here and request an expert mechanic.

Symptoms:
Power loss/feels like slight miss up until 3500rpm.
Tick at idle (injectors do tick, not disagreeing - but lifter sounds similar did not open hood and feel valve covers/injectors)
Poor fuel mileage
Metallic clicking under hard acceleration only notable at variable RPM. Almost sounds like a belt chirping/squeaking but mimic lifter.
And a frustrated driver.

Last edited:

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Started pulling mods off my 2019 as my 2021 should be shipping out any day now. Took off my mishimoto catch can and swapped the stock air intake back on in place of my S&B. Both relatively easy. I still hate the engine cover you remove to install the catch can. Such a pain.

Last edited:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tinted my windows.
Matched the factory tint on the back windows to the front windows then doubled the tint on the rear windows.
92f47ae107e35382272e29070d2bb69b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Classy Limo look going on there!

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
That's definitely worse than I thought. I was originally looking at the Diesel and test drove it but not sure about reliability and taking a long time to make the $ recovery work. I'm going to test drive the 5.7L with both gear boxes next week and see what makes more sense for my daily driver (only the gear ratio is currently undecided). I am considering making the switch to Ram for more utility (RamBox + Multi Tailgate) than my 2018 3.5L Ecoboost provides. The EcoBoost can never seem to get over 19/20 on the highway (70-75pmh) and I heard the Ram 5.7 can depending on driving style (I am definitely not heavy footed)

I don't want to turn this into a MPG thread but it depends a lot on the individual truck and the driver. You'll see my Fuelly below in my signature but I have experimented and can get between 13.1MPG - 19.02MPG in combined driving depending on which octane fuel (87 vs. 89) I use and how I drive. I have a heavy Limited with most options (no skid plates, multi-function tailgate and tow mirrors) and aggressive heavy 33s, 16lbs of mud flaps and a heavy hard folding tonneau cover. Buy what you want and enjoy it!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Went to track again tonight and knocked almost a half a second off my best run from my first trip to the track. Getting this thing figured out, and nice cold temps. Not bad for a basically stock 4x4 Built to Serve. Just have a Borla ATAK exhaust for mods

Attachments

• PXL_20201031_034229052.jpg
    PXL_20201031_034229052.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 168

Jeremy47

Reaction score
Whats the install like?

Easy Peasy.
Take off your backplate on your tailgate. Loosen the two bolts that hold it in. Should pop out from the tabs. Take out your backup camera and put in your new one. There’s a YouTube video on it as well.
5669bd7ae129cc50f144dd8ec2800905.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishwiz

Reaction score

Nope. I highly doubt you'll compete with the mpg of your f150 (I came over to Ram/Hemi from an F150 3.5 ecoboost, and I'm a solid 4-5 mpg worse). Especially when you add some heavy options.... Mpg is by far the worst part of this truck in my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

mr.fusion

Reaction score
Worst I've seen on the highway is about 15 mpg while doing 75+ into a 20+mph headwind. Same road on the way back with dead wind I got 20 at 75 mph. Mine is stock w/3.92

I feel bad for the guys who report like 12-13mpg. Not sure how it could be that bad. My old 2004 5.7 Durango would also do 17-21 on a road trip btw. Same interstate (Nebraska I-80) years ago with the Durango I got 17 mpg @ 80 mph

Burnzie

Reaction score
O.P. question What did you do to your Ram today?
Answer, Drove it to the store, why?

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Finally finished the badges. Was gonna go with Mainevent emblems but never heard back from an email I sent them a month ago. Found Iconic on Etsy. The Iconic is plastic vs Mainevent being metal. Time will tell if the plastic holds up. Hopefully some after market taillights come out soon. Trying to tint film was a nightmare

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Got these smoked taillights on eBay, been pretty happy with them so far

Attachments

• DCBBFCB5-A748-4BE2-ACB8-78BD8F22C262.jpeg
    DCBBFCB5-A748-4BE2-ACB8-78BD8F22C262.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 121

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Husky Gearbox under rear seat storage arrived today.
Forgot to get an installed pic.
Took 10 minutes. Fits like a glove. All my crap is hidden.
Part # is 9411 and made for trucks models with the under seat storage.

6CED18FA-C7EA-4B29-A526-7FDEF21499EC.png

RRRAAAAMMMM2020

Reaction score
Nope. I highly doubt you'll compete with the mpg of your f150 (I came over to Ram/Hemi from an F150 3.5 ecoboost, and I'm a solid 4-5 mpg worse). Especially when you add some heavy options.... Mpg is by far the worst part of this truck in my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Great to know and I will see when I test out next week.

Users who are viewing this thread