5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was thinking about doing the ceramic. The shop said it would be about 2 to 3 days and price ranged from 800 to 1500. From what I read online you can expect the "effective life" of the coating to last around 3 years. Can you tell a difference in shine, smoothness, etc.
I did a self install kit from Gtechniq and you can definitely tell a difference in the smoothness of the exterior when you feel it. Also when you get a heavy rain it’ll rinse off dust and such leaving it look decently clean.

Baron74

Reaction score
I did a self install kit from Gtechniq and you can definitely tell a difference in the smoothness of the exterior when you feel it. Also when you get a heavy rain it’ll rinse off dust and such leaving it look decently clean.
Nice! I've seen a few DIY kits. Living in the PNW, sloughing off debris and rain would be nice. Just waxed it today. Was it difficult to apply?

Last edited:

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice! I've seen a few DIY kits. Living in the PNW, sloughing off debri and rain would be nice. Just waxed it today. Was it difficult to apply?
Yeah the frequent rains are a plus! Application of the coating itself is easy. But I had to decontaminate the paint, clay bar, iron x, and then compound/polish before the application could start.

U

User_18177

Yeah the frequent rains are a plus! Application of the coating itself is easy. But I had to decontaminate the paint, clay bar, iron x, and then compound/polish before the application could start.
And that's why we pay out the butt for it when we don't do it ourselves. :)

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And that's why we pay out the butt for it when we don't do it ourselves. :)
Before I did it I got a quote and was like how hard can it be? After 20+ hours spent on the process I understand it. I’ll still do self coatings now that I’m comfortable doing compounding and polishing but the price is much more justified!

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’d stay with the setup you have and maybe once billstein has 5100s out level it with them. That’s my plan.
Any idea when they come out? That doesnt change any angles right compared to the motofab?

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any idea when they come out? That doesnt change any angles right compared to the motofab?
It doesn’t change geometry like a motofab spacer would. I’ve been hearing they will come out after SEMA which is early November. I’d hope they’re out by December. But that’s all speculation at this point.

JHRebel

Reaction score
It doesn’t change geometry like a motofab spacer would. I’ve been hearing they will come out after SEMA which is early November. I’d hope they’re out by December. But that’s all speculation at this point.
Are you talking about a lift? a lift of any kind will change the geometry

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you talking about a lift? a lift of any kind will change the geometry
A 5100 preloads the spring to achieve lift (only enough to level), a spacer is simply adding length to a strut thus changing the geometry.

BadAspSVT

Reaction score
Took my blown out sidewall
aa0025e277fe74d4f68a1efc68016914.jpg
flat tire off and put the spare on. So happy to be replacing a tire with 1800 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bluelinebuild

Reaction score
Returned my leaking Gator soft roll cover with the Gator EFX hardfold. Could not be more happy with the quality. Its identical to the Bak cover and its half the price. Rained hard today and only had a tiny bit of water come in at the tailgate but the gap of the tailgate is to blame for that. It can literaly be removed in 2 minutes so I didnt feel the need to spend the exta $200-300 to have the one that folds up against the back window. I highly recommend this cover!!! 20191026_114346.jpg 20191026_114340.jpg

JHRebel

Reaction score
A 5100 preloads the spring to achieve lift (only enough to level), a spacer is simply adding length to a strut thus changing the geometry.
I get that, and I’m not trying to be ignorant, but short of a body lift only I fail to see how that doesn’t still change the geometry and I’m not totally ignorant to lifts but I’m not afraid to
Learn something new either.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get that, and I’m not trying to be ignorant, but short of a body lift only I fail to see how that doesn’t still change the geometry and I’m not totally ignorant to lifts but I’m not afraid to
Learn something new either.
I’m no expert either so no worries there!
From another RAM forum “Because the spacer is simply installed on top of the factory strut the entire strut assembly is now too long when fully extended. This will put your control arms and CV shafts at steeper angles which can be harder on CV shaft joints, ball joints, and tie-rod ends.”
“The Bilsteins limit the amount of downward suspension travel which will not allow the control arms to overextend which is hard on CV shaft joints, ball joints, and tie-rod ends.” I think the only geometry most are concerned with not changing or limited change to is with regards to the UCAs which seems to be the case with 5100s.

crangel

Reaction score
Installed the Truxedo Pro X15 tonneau cover and WeatherTech mud flaps, love them both!! Got the cover super cheap from Amazon Warehouse, it was a return. I was worried that I would just need to return it but it was perfect, the factory packaging was a little damaged but that was all.

JHRebel

Reaction score
I’m no expert either so no worries there!
From another RAM forum “Because the spacer is simply installed on top of the factory strut the entire strut assembly is now too long when fully extended. This will put your control arms and CV shafts at steeper angles which can be harder on CV shaft joints, ball joints, and tie-rod ends.”
“The Bilsteins limit the amount of downward suspension travel which will not allow the control arms to overextend which is hard on CV shaft joints, ball joints, and tie-rod ends.” I think the only geometry most are concerned with not changing or limited change to is with regards to the UCAs which seems to be the case with 5100s.
That makes sense, still seems like you’d need an alignment etc after install though...

Captain Stack

Reaction score

Where did you get your body color mirror caps?

Where did you get your gloss black window trim wrap?

Are you happy with the look of the trim wrap? I can see the mirror caps and they look awesome!

Thanks.

aametzger

Reaction score
Where did you get your body color mirror caps?

Where did you get your gloss black window trim wrap?

Are you happy with the look of the trim wrap? I can see the mirror caps and they look awesome!

Thanks.

I got a notification you were quoting one of my posts, but don't see the quote so I'm not sure if this was directed at me or not.

If so, I got my painted mirror caps from the dealer parts department. I just had them look up the sport model (that comes with painted caps ) and they found the ones in my color and ordered them. They were about $35 each side. If you go this route and are planning to swap them yourself, there is a thread on here with instructions. The suction cup with heat method is the one I used and didn't break either mirror. As for the gloss window trim wrap, a local wrap shop did the install. https://www.paradisegraphix.com/ Yes, I am very happy with the look of changing from the chrome window trim to gloss black. I picked gloss instead of matte so it would blend better with the existing gloss black panels in between the doors.

Captain Stack

Reaction score
I got a notification you were quoting one of my posts, but don't see the quote so I'm not sure if this was directed at me or not.

If so, I got my painted mirror caps from the dealer parts department. I just had them look up the sport model (that comes with painted caps ) and they found the ones in my color and ordered them. They were about $35 each side. If you go this route and are planning to swap them yourself, there is a thread on here with instructions. The suction cup with heat method is the one I used and didn't break either mirror. As for the gloss window trim wrap, a local wrap shop did the install. https://www.paradisegraphix.com/ Yes, I am very happy with the look of changing from the chrome window trim to gloss black. I picked gloss instead of matte so it would blend better with the existing gloss black panels in between the doors.

Yes, I did mean to quote you. Thank for the quick reply and for answering my questions.

Users who are viewing this thread