5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We moved out of the woods and into suburbia which means we have an acre to mow and a growing season that lasts 3 times as long. In NH, you'd mow June - August every 10 days. Here, I need to mow twice a week March to October.

So I went to go buy a mower that could handle the abuse. Turns out push mowers from Honda aren't $350 anymore..They're $900-$1200 for the ones with a good structure of steel and 200CC motors.

My wife went online to find a used one and we came across this little treasure. A 2010 John Deere LA105 (base model) with 14 hours on the clock. No chips, no rust, sharp blades and the motor had zero gunk. The OEM air filter, carb, it was all brand new. The owner got it as an inheritance gift but they lived in a condo. They replaced the starter and battery and it was tuned up at a JD dealer and they listed it for sale for $800. Started right up today, no issues so we loaded it up and took it home.

It was $1500 in 2007 ($2200 in today's dollars) so not much depreciation but to be honest, a 14 hour mower for our 1 acre of totally flat lawn is going to have no problems once I go through everything. Pretty easy to work on. I already took apart the carb and cleaned it out. Will sea-foam it tomorrow with some fresh gasoline.

I was happy to have the 6.5 foot bed today (like most days when I'm hauling):

aipssmy.jpg
eXiOlxs.jpg
GDLF8fK.jpg
GS!
My dream adv bike. I ran across a group of adv riders riding offerings from various brands in Moab in 2020. I asked them which one is the best and they all say the GS without hesitation lol
Came across another adv rider a few months later in SoCal. He said he has many bikes but the GS is his favorite lol

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have been driving one since November of last year while my truck is laid up waiting for repairs. It works very well for my family of 6 (much better than the ram admittedly🙄), but I certainly notice the difference between the thirsty V8 and my gas-sipping V6 pentastar.

Sad thing is that my wife has fallen in love with the practicality the Durango offers, jeopardizing the longevity of my relationship with the truck (even though I have no idea when I'm actually getting it back).....:cautious:
Unless you want to be brand loyal, check out the Chevy Traverse for a family vehicle. It has the most 3rd row room of any SUV, including full size SUVs. It's what we have.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
GS!
My dream adv bike. I ran across a group of adv riders riding offerings from various brands in Moab in 2020. I asked them which one is the best and they all say the GS without hesitation lol
Came across another adv rider a few months later in SoCal. He said he has many bikes but the GS is his favorite lol

Fully agreed. Not just being elite because they’re German or anything. I’ve ridden 100K miles on these bikes always with folks on other brands and it’s amazing to me how reliable my bike is in a touring off road environment. that and how easy it is to ride in technical terrain. You can lug the engine down to 3MPH and it won’t stall. So balanced and simple to steer over obstacles. I do have a KTM for real dirt bike riding but it’s in the shop more than I ride it.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have been driving one since November of last year while my truck is laid up waiting for repairs. It works very well for my family of 6 (much better than the ram admittedly🙄), but I certainly notice the difference between the thirsty V8 and my gas-sipping V6 pentastar.

Sad thing is that my wife has fallen in love with the practicality the Durango offers, jeopardizing the longevity of my relationship with the truck (even though I have no idea when I'm actually getting it back).....:cautious:
It is a great car. If I never had a Ram, it would probably be the best car I have owned. I just miss the comfort of the Ram. The sporty seats in the Durango, are fine for around town, but get uncomfortable for long trips. Plus the skinny console is too narrow for two peoples arms. I also miss all the storage space.

JamRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unless you want to be brand loyal, check out the Chevy Traverse for a family vehicle. It has the most 3rd row room of any SUV, including full size SUVs. It's what we have.
Funny enough, that's exactly where my mind is at. Great to hear it is approved by one of the pickiest folks alive! 😜

Ever had reason to tow with it?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Funny enough, that's exactly where my mind is at. Great to hear it is approved by one of the pickiest folks alive! 😜

Ever had reason to tow with it?
I made sure ours came with factory tow package because we have ATVs and to haul the whole family and ATVs we take the Traverse. We've only used it a couple times though. 16x6 trailer with two ATVs on it

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Fully agreed. Not just being elite because they’re German or anything. I’ve ridden 100K miles on these bikes always with folks on other brands and it’s amazing to me how reliable my bike is in a touring off road environment. that and how easy it is to ride in technical terrain. You can lug the engine down to 3MPH and it won’t stall. So balanced and simple to steer over obstacles. I do have a KTM for real dirt bike riding but it’s in the shop more than I ride it.
i need to get one when I have parking space lol
it will for sure be a different experience

JamRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I made sure ours came with factory tow package because we have ATVs and to haul the whole family and ATVs we take the Traverse. We've only used it a couple times though. 16x6 trailer with two ATVs on it
How much weight would you say that is?

My TT is 4400lb dry. Would really love it if the "family vehicle" could pull it.🤔

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
GS!

I had an R1200GS. Sold it and got a KTM 1290 Super Adventure. You would have to pay ME to go back to BMW... I really liked my GS. It was great. But, to me, the KTM is better in every way. My KTM is a 2016 and I have not had a lick of trouble with it. 8 gallon gas tank. Heated seats and grips. Cruise control. Fully eletronic suspension. It is a mile-eating machine! And has served me very well on dirt/gravel roads, Jeep trails, etc., too. It's everything my BMW was, but better. And that V-twin sound and power! It is a wheelie monster, too!

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
this weekend I returned to Salton Sea/ Salvation Mtn/ Bradshaw Trail/ Eagle Mtn Trestle area for the first time since 2021.
Cellphone pics only this time since my dumbass forgot the DSLR🤦‍♂️
Showing pictures here. Please refer to my build thread for detail writeups and more pictures!
thumbnail_IMG_3431.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3450.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3498.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3508.jpg

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had an R1200GS. Sold it and got a KTM 1290 Super Adventure. You would have to pay ME to go back to BMW... I really liked my GS. It was great. But, to me, the KTM is better in every way. My KTM is a 2016 and I have not had a lick of trouble with it. 8 gallon gas tank. Heated seats and grips. Cruise control. Fully eletronic suspension. It is a mile-eating machine! And has served me very well on dirt/gravel roads, Jeep trails, etc., too. It's everything my BMW was, but better. And that V-twin sound and power! It is a wheelie monster, too!
I sold my '16 GSA a few years ago because I stopped riding because it was boring after my trip to Neah Bay in September of '19. It was a great trip, but I just get bored of things.
I must say, I would definitely check out the KTM 1290 if I got back into riding again. I did keep all my gear. But that front end looks like a hornet or something. 🐝

20190902_123243.jpg 20190902_143918.jpg
20190902_103625.jpg

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How much weight would you say that is?

My TT is 4400lb dry. Would really love it if the "family vehicle" could pull it.🤔
Not sure, quoted towing capacity by Chevy is 5000lbs with the towing package

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I can only think he lost a bet in regards to the HC logo?

Or maybe it's not an HC logo, maybe some sort of bear?

Remove that, along with the giant RST decal, black "stripes" on the tail gate, window trim and fender flares, and he has a decent looking truck there.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey, that could work. The ones that clamp to the receiver get in the way of the pin and chains. The receiver just isn't big enough.

Would you mind posting a pic showing the brackets on your truck sometime?
Thanks!

I think I need those brackets. They fit great there. Did you tap into a plug and play trailer harness?
Bought and installed the receiver brackets he posted. And the LED pods I posted earlier. Got them installed today. Had to do mine s little different than he didn't. I sure depending on the lights and how they mount will determine where you have to position the brackets. Couldn't get them out under the bumper any further. So they are kid of tucked behind a little. Don't look too bad from the back. PXL_20230220_222614714.jpg PXL_20230220_222626254.jpg PXL_20230220_222634871.jpg PXL_20230220_222647875.jpg

BackCountryinNJ

banned at member request but still lurking
Reaction score
Had the day off for President's Day.....so, I got around to installing this... Love the looK!

Attachments

• IMG_20230220_153547.jpg
    IMG_20230220_153547.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20230220_153606.jpg
    IMG_20230220_153606.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20230220_153108.jpg
    IMG_20230220_153108.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20230220_153726.jpg
    IMG_20230220_153726.jpg