5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What comes with the Ram Box Cargo Management System?

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
When I picked up my truck I noted to the salesman that the bed divider/extender thing wasn't in the truck. According to everything I find online, including Ram's videos, the "Ram Box Cargo Management System" is a system comprised of the Ramboxes, Sliding cargo tie downs and the bed divider/extender. Now, they're telling me that only comes with the bed utility group. My truck has the boxes and the sliding cargo tie downs. The tie downs aren't available by themselves or in any other packages. So...
If you have a Laramie or Limited and the Ramboxes, but not the bed utility group, did you also get the bed divider and the sliding cargo tie downs?

Cravenfan

Reaction score
I thought the Ramboxes were on their own (I bought the dividers for the Ramboxes also), then the Bed Utility Group, for those trucks without the multi-function tailgate, came with; the lockable bed divider, the 4 tie downs hooks and rails and the corner bed step, for $545. The multi-function with the BUG comes without the corner bed step. It might also come with the bed lights, but my truck already had those as standard.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
I thought the Ramboxes were on their own (I bought the dividers for the Ramboxes also), then the Bed Utility Group, for those trucks without the multi-function tailgate, came with; the lockable bed divider, the 4 tie downs hooks and rails and the corner bed step, for $545. The multi-function with the BUG comes without the corner bed step. It might also come with the bed lights, but my truck already had those as standard.
I've gotten 3-5 different stories from the dealer and ram cares phone folks. I think what happened is they had it built into the rambox cargo management system, then realized when the divider/extender was used with the ramboxes it blocked the tail lights, which isn't legal so they just pulled it and didn't clean up their ordering info, the website or the videos online. The guy who lectured me for 5 minutes from ram cares, let it slip that this happened while I was talking with him. I want and need the divider. I don't care about the extender use.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've gotten 3-5 different stories from the dealer and ram cares phone folks. I think what happened is they had it built into the rambox cargo management system, then realized when the divider/extender was used with the ramboxes it blocked the tail lights, which isn't legal so they just pulled it and didn't clean up their ordering info, the website or the videos online. The guy who lectured me for 5 minutes from ram cares, let it slip that this happened while I was talking with him. I want and need the divider. I don't care about the extender use.

What happened was that on the DS model, the divider/extender and rails came with the RamBox option. For the DT models, Ram broke them apart into two offerings (RamBox and BUG) which also lowered the price for the RamBox. Many dealers did not take the time to learn about this change for '19 and so you get many varied stories. If you refer to the ordering guides, they have been clear from day 1 on ordering a 2019 DT that the divider/extender was part of the BUG.

What you get is also complicated by your trim level since the bedliner for instance that comes in the BUG also comes with a Limited. This is the reason that the BUG gets less expensive with higher trims because they already come with those features.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
What happened was that on the DS model, the divider/extender and rails came with the RamBox option. For the DT models, Ram broke them apart into two offerings (RamBox and BUG) which also lowered the price for the RamBox. Many dealers did not take the time to learn about this change for '19 and so you get many varied stories. If you refer to the ordering guides, they have been clear from day 1 on ordering a 2019 DT that the divider/extender was part of the BUG.

What you get is also complicated by your trim level since the bedliner for instance that comes in the BUG also comes with a Limited. This is the reason that the BUG gets less expensive with higher trims because they already come with those features.
Check the video I linked to. Is that not a DT Ram 1500?

My truck came with the sliding cargo tie downs also...not mentioned anywhere I can see other than in the Rambox or BUG packages.

Arth

Reaction score
This annoyed me as well. I've owned several 4th generation Ram's with Ramboxes and they all came with that bed divider as part of that package. Well apparently they changed the package in 2019 to be part of the bed utility group even though the Rambox package includes the movable tie downs.

So I ended up going on craigslist and finding one for $100 and picked it up. As far as the extended cargo management part well they changed that in 2019 too. They eliminated the mounting points to make it an extender. Thankfully the holes are still there and the parts are cheap so I added them to my 2019 so I still have the extender ability too.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have an extra divider that came from my 2014 Ram Sport....and it looks like it still fits the gen5 trucks.

Will most likely be putting it in the for sale section soon. Do NOT have the key to lock it but it is currently unlocked.

Last edited:

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
I have an extra divider that come from my 2014 Ram Sport....and it looks like it still fits the gen5 trucks.

Will most likely be putting it in the for sale section soon. Do NOT have the key to lock it but it is currently unlocked.
Shoot me a PM before you do if you don't mind.

Arth

Reaction score
I have an extra divider that come from my 2014 Ram Sport....and it looks like it still fits the gen5 trucks.

Hope it works out for you two. I pulled my divider from my 4th Gen and now use it in my 5th without issue.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is correct; you need both options to get the divider (if I remember right from threads on this topic over a year ago).

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
This is correct; you need both options to get the divider (if I remember right from threads on this topic over a year ago).
Ya, well....salesguy told me it comes with, Ram's video says it comes with (The Rambox cargo management system is comprised of 3 components)

Just pissed that I didn't get it in writing and that I trusted the people selling the truck to know what they're talking about.

djjr50

Reaction score
This annoyed me as well. I've owned several 4th generation Ram's with Ramboxes and they all came with that bed divider as part of that package. Well apparently they changed the package in 2019 to be part of the bed utility group even though the Rambox package includes the movable tie downs.

So I ended up going on craigslist and finding one for $100 and picked it up. As far as the extended cargo management part well they changed that in 2019 too. They eliminated the mounting points to make it an extender. Thankfully the holes are still there and the parts are cheap so I added them to my 2019 so I still have the extender ability too.
Hope it works out for you two. I pulled my divider from my 4th Gen and now use it in my 5th without issue.

Just bought mine with BUG and Rambox (Certified Pre-Owned) and the previous owner took off with both the tonneau cover and the divider. I see a divider from last gen (part number 68027145AC) on Craigslist and wanted to know if that will work. Can you check if that is the same part number on the one you have? Did your's come with the key and is the key necessary if I eventually want to use it as an extender?

The dealer is supposed to be ordering me one but they're going through the same process others on this forum have experienced.

Last edited:

Tom488

Reaction score
Just bought mine with BUG and Rambox (Certified Pre-Owned) and the previous owner took off with both the tonneau cover and the divider. I see a divider from last gen (part number 68027145AC) on Craigslist and wanted to know if that will work. Can you check if that is the same part number on the one you have? Did your's come with the key and is the key necessary if I eventually want to use it as an extender?

The dealer is supposed to be ordering me one but they're going through the same process others on this forum have experienced.
On Sunday, I can check compatibility between a buddy's 4th gen (which is actually my old truck) and my current 5th gen - we both have Ram Box dividers. As far as the key, the divider is perfectly usable without a matching key - you just can't lock it in place to prevent theft. I've never locked mine. A locksmith can re-configure the old lock to match your current ignition key.

Arth

Reaction score

There is no part number listed on my divider but if it's a 4th Gen divider it'll work. I've had Rambox equipped Ram's since 2009 and the divider is the same from what I can tell. As far as the key I don't have one to mine anymore and it works without issue.

If you want to use it as an extender you'll need to add the parts listed earlier in this thread. The key isn't required at all to use it as an extender.

djjr50

Reaction score
On Sunday, I can check compatibility between a buddy's 4th gen (which is actually my old truck) and my current 5th gen - we both have Ram Box dividers. As far as the key, the divider is perfectly usable without a matching key - you just can't lock it in place to prevent theft. I've never locked mine. A locksmith can re-configure the old lock to match your current ignition key.
There is no part number listed on my divider but if it's a 4th Gen divider it'll work. I've had Rambox equipped Ram's since 2009 and the divider is the same from what I can tell. As far as the key I don't have one to mine anymore and it works without issue.

If you want to use it as an extender you'll need to add the parts listed earlier in this thread. The key isn't required at all to use it as an extender.
Thank you! I do plan on ordering those other pieces as well.

Tom488

Reaction score
On Sunday, I can check compatibility between a buddy's 4th gen (which is actually my old truck) and my current 5th gen - we both have Ram Box dividers.
Confirmed - we swapped cargo dividers without issue. 2009 divider fit a 2019 Rambox bed just fine.

lasani1121

Reaction score
Thank you! I do plan on ordering those other pieces as well.
I have an opportunity to pick up the 68027145AC. Dodge parts is telling me that the part went from AC to AD to the current AE. The part itself should be the same. There are many reasons why they changed the part number. Some are 1) the manufacturer changed or simply tracking of a product number. etc.

DDJR - few questions for you:
1) what model year ram do you own?
1) Did you end up getting the AC and did it work as intended?
2) Did you purchase the swivel (68054996aa) and grommet (68054997ab)? If so was the install straightforward?

Users who are viewing this thread