5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are you guys using on Laramie leather/suede seats?

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
00D0616C-FB8D-4C1A-A2A5-EB50457F139C.jpeg

Not saying any of these are the “best” to use. They are what I use.
The mother’s is what I had been using for many years on the seats in my ‘15 Laramie. I have been very pleased with this product.

A few months ago a neighbor moved and I inherited a pep boys bucket of car care products. The meguires Ultimate was included and is what I appiled to the leather in my ‘19, seems to clean just as well as the Mother’s.

I had a can of the Scotchgard for automobile upholstery, which is what i’ve treated the suede with on the seats. I will water test the suede and if it fails to bead I will retreat.

I am sure there are a cornucopia full of products out there. Maybe others will chime in on what they use.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Right now; nothing. I have been thinking about using Mink Oil. I haven't really come across a car product that impresses me. In fact, I may even do a test with Boot Barn boot cleaner and conditioner....it made my boots soft and beautiful.

Bleda2002

Reaction score
As a cowboy action shooter, I have a lot of heavy wear leather. For my seats, holsters, gun belts, and even boots I'm a big fan of Obenauf's

Kamikaze6780

Reaction score
So what do you use to actually clean leather and suede, also what do you use to protect suede?

Kamikaze6780

Reaction score
Okay, now my other question is based on the Laramie seats. Do the seats have 3 different materials. So far I see leather, suede, is the other vinyl?

50Front

Reaction score
If Ram uses the same "leather" as most manufacturers, than its painted and clear coated. All you need to do is wipe it with a damp rag per the owners manual. You can test it by putting some drops of water on it and see if it soaks in. If it sits on top it is coated and conditioners will not do anything.

Leather Parts

Mopar Total Clean is specifically recommended for leather

upholstery.

Your leather upholstery can be best preserved by regular

cleaning with a damp soft cloth. Small particles of dirt can

act as an abrasive and damage the leather upholstery and

should be removed promptly with a damp cloth. Stubborn

soils can be removed easily with a soft cloth and Mopar

Total Clean. Care should be taken to avoid soaking your

leather upholstery with any liquid. Please do not use

polishes, oils, cleaning fluids, solvents, detergents, or

ammonia-based cleaners to clean your leather upholstery.

Application of a leather conditioner is not required to

maintain the original condition.

NOTE: If equipped with light colored leather, it tends to

show any foreign material, dirt, and fabric dye transfer

more so than darker colors. The leather is designed for easy

cleaning, and FCA recommends Mopar total care leather

cleaner applied on a cloth to clean the leather seats as

needed.

SERVICING AND MAINTENANCE 551

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If Ram uses the same "leather" as most manufacturers, than its painted and clear coated. All you need to do is wipe it with a damp rag per the owners manual. You can test it by putting some drops of water on it and see if it soaks in. If it sits on top it is coated and conditioners will not do anything.

Leather Parts

Mopar Total Clean is specifically recommended for leather

upholstery.

Your leather upholstery can be best preserved by regular

cleaning with a damp soft cloth. Small particles of dirt can

act as an abrasive and damage the leather upholstery and

should be removed promptly with a damp cloth. Stubborn

soils can be removed easily with a soft cloth and Mopar

Total Clean. Care should be taken to avoid soaking your

leather upholstery with any liquid. Please do not use

polishes, oils, cleaning fluids, solvents, detergents, or

ammonia-based cleaners to clean your leather upholstery.

Application of a leather conditioner is not required to

maintain the original condition.

NOTE: If equipped with light colored leather, it tends to

show any foreign material, dirt, and fabric dye transfer

more so than darker colors. The leather is designed for easy

cleaning, and FCA recommends Mopar total care leather

cleaner applied on a cloth to clean the leather seats as

needed.

SERVICING AND MAINTENANCE 551

Yep. There really isn't much to "conditioning" coated leather. I have been using a slightly damp rag to wipe off and then occasionally using 303 Leather or Lexol, although I understand neither are probably doing much, I like the smell. ;)

Stew81

Reaction score
I use 1 product for all interior surfaces and it hasn't failed me yet. Spray bottle full of warm water with a drop of dawn dish soap. Spray it on a micro fiber cloth and wipe it down. I have stayed away from the suede so far though but I'm betting that it's not really suede just like the leather isn't really leather. I think leather conditioners and cleaners are just a waste of money for vehicle upholstery, as others have stated, it's sealed so conditioners just sit on top and get wiped off.

I wouldn't go near the seats with mink oil! I imagine that it would fill in all those perforations and it would be tough to get out. Plus, its not penetrating the surface, you are just wiping it on and wiping it off.

Cummins3

Reaction score
What are you guys using to clean the interior? Specifically the dash, doors and leather and sweade... Thinking of getting the Adams interior detail says it's safe for all of it... Anyone with any experience with it??

Users who are viewing this thread