5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are the services that will expire?

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like the way my navigation works too. I know some people complain that it's not accurate enough, or that it takes weird routes but these complaints are common across various navigation tools not just the built in nav.
I think it's a matter of what you're used to. I like Garmin nav, but I've got a friend who uses Apple for everything and will only navigate with his iphone. I have another friend who swears by his TomTom. I don't think any one system is any better/worse than the next.

As for built in nav. I specifically order my vehicles WITH it because I like the way they work, I've got a giant map available at all times, and I don't have to screw around with my phone. As for paying for service. I don't bother. The majority of the features still work, you just lose the traffic updates. I don't live/drive in congested areas so that's not really an issue. If I run into unexpected traffic, I'll turn onto a side route and let the navigator automatically route me around what I just avoided. It doesn't have to know the traffic is there, I can see it and make my own detour.

I've used a Garmin device for years and I don't have an issue with the operation of the built-in NAV. However, I absolutely despise having to pay for map updates when maps on my phone get updated for free. I live in an area where new streets are added every month and my work takes me to new areas all the time. The built-in NAV is useless then. As a result, I prefer to use CarPlay in most cases, but may flip on the built-in every now and then.

tgram

Reaction score
I've used a Garmin device for years and I don't have an issue with the operation of the built-in NAV. However, I absolutely despise having to pay for map updates when maps on my phone get updated for free. I live in an area where new streets are added every month and my work takes me to new areas all the time. The built-in NAV is useless then. As a result, I prefer to use CarPlay in most cases, but may flip on the built-in every now and then.

Maps on our phones get updated for 'free' only if we consider google tracking us in return for that 'freedom' ok. I know most people do and that's fine and easy default because everyone has a phone, but I personally am willing to pay some money to reduce the chance of google being in every area of my life (I work in IT my whole life and feel navigation is the easiest way for them to track us). Also, there is somethign to be said for having up to date maps downloaded and physically saved in the car ready to go, rather than depending on having internet access available at all times.

tgram

Reaction score
There is one more big reason I decided to renew. For some reason the uconnect bug where after I set navigation route with carplay and then lose that route every time I put the car in reverse - that infuriating bug is still there for me and it happens every time so I have to renter navigation route every time after I put the car back to park or drive (after I back out of my garage). That bug is not there if I set the navigation route with built in navigation system instead of carplay - it remembers it properly and also consistently switches back/forth to my home screen from navigaion screen (with smaller navigation window as one of my defaults on my home screen and carplay always kicks me out of home screen in addition to foregting the navigation route). This bug may be as much Apple fault as uconnect - don't care who is to blame but I don't have to worry about it if I use built in navigation.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maps on our phones get updated for 'free' only if we consider google tracking us in return for that 'freedom' ok. I know most people do and that's fine and easy default because everyone has a phone, but I personally am willing to pay some money to reduce the chance of google being in every area of my life (I work in IT my whole life and feel navigation is the easiest way for them to track us). Also, there is somethign to be said for having up to date maps downloaded and physically saved in the car ready to go, rather than depending on having internet access available at all times.
I agree. I don't use Google services in any fashion. I do use Apple since i consider them the lesser of the evils, although i understand the risks I take in doing so. I use navigation selectively.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is one more big reason I decided to renew. For some reason the uconnect bug where after I set navigation route with carplay and then lose that route every time I put the car in reverse - that infuriating bug is still there for me and it happens every time so I have to renter navigation route every time after I put the car back to park or drive (after I back out of my garage). That bug is not there if I set the navigation route with built in navigation system instead of carplay - it remembers it properly and also consistently switches back/forth to my home screen from navigaion screen (with smaller navigation window as one of my defaults on my home screen and carplay always kicks me out of home screen in addition to foregting the navigation route). This bug may be as much Apple fault as uconnect - don't care who is to blame but I don't have to worry about it if I use built in navigation.
Yeah, luckily I haven't had that bug pop up yet. <knock on wood>

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I agree. I don't use Google services in any fashion. I do use Apple since i consider them the lesser of the evils, although i understand the risks I take in doing so. I use navigation selectively.
You probably use more Google services than you realize. It's just not the name Google specifically.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can download offline maps to my phone so Google maps will still work even without cell signal. Would just lose live traffic notifications. And nothing in the factory navigation is really "up to date" unless you live in a large metro area where nothing has changed for 3-5 years. Even the newest updates you download are 3 years behind.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Of course - but I prefer that someone to not be google. I know you can't always avoid google no matter what you try if you are online, but I moved from Android to Apple phone for this same reason and this is another step in the direction to at least make it less likely google is tracking me. By the way, since I moved to apple phone I see a lot less targeted garbage adds in my facebook feed and have no doubt this switch has something to do with that.
My wife stills gets targeted ads on Facebook and she has an iPhone. I have a Pixel, which is about as Google as you can get. Lol. But it's a lot better phone than other Android phones, doesn't have as many factory installed apps that you will never use. I'm not an Apple fan at all. I will stay with Google before ever switching to Apple. You want to talk about being tracked, my wife tracks her son's iphone, and my ex-wife tracks my son and daughters phones. And that's a built in feature on Apple. I would have to install an app on my phone to allow others to track me.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You probably use more Google services than you realize. It's just not the name Google specifically.
Yes, but I do try. I research companies that make the apps I use and which ones have a higher degree of tracking, like Gasbuddy. My location services is off in most cases or "only while using the app". I also shut down the apps that use location services after using them, there's very few that I leave minimized.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My wife stills gets targeted ads on Facebook and she has an iPhone. I have a Pixel, which is about as Google as you can get. Lol. But it's a lot better phone than other Android phones, doesn't have as many factory installed apps that you will never use. I'm not an Apple fan at all. I will stay with Google before ever switching to Apple. You want to talk about being tracked, my wife tracks her son's iphone, and my ex-wife tracks my son and daughters phones. And that's a built in feature on Apple. I would have to install an app on my phone to allow others to track me.

True, it has that capability, but you can turn that off.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I let mine expire a few weeks ago as well on my 2022 Limited but will probably renew it after all. I really like the built in navigation (after traffic updates finally started working it was really nice and I did not see any disadvantages using it vs google or apple maps). I hate google enough where I'm willing to pay for them to not track me via navigation, and I also avoid google search on my computers as much as possible.
I can't stand google either but no matter what service you use it will track you. That's the whole idea of navigation so it can get you from your immediate location to a different destination. It's the same thing for traffic updates in YOUR location.

tgram

Reaction score
I can't stand google either but no matter what service you use it will track you. That's the whole idea of navigation so it can get you from your immediate location to a different destination. It's the same thing for traffic updates in YOUR location.
Sure someone will always track you but hopefully not google (at least not on Apple iphone if you don't even install google maps or any of their other apps and don't provide your google login credentials on iphone). As far as on desktops I use vpn to hide my location, and startpage and duckduckgo for search and even though can't completely trust them either (or anyone) I still feel google is the worst (their whole business model is about that alone as opposed to others like Apple and Amazon who at least make most of their money on selling hardware, software, etc). By the way after I did all this work to get off of google I am getting a lot less garbage via targeted ads in my social media accounts and via email (using outlook for that) so I do think it makes some difference and it's worth the pain of going through all this (at least for me). Having said all this I completely agree with you that someone else must be trucking us if weather and trafic updates are turned on by any application.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Sure someone will always track you but hopefully not google (at least not on Apple iphone if you don't even install google maps or any of their other apps and don't provide your google login credentials on iphone). As far as on desktops I use vpn to hide my location, and startpage and duckduckgo for search and even though can't completely trust them either (or anyone) I still feel google is the worst (their whole business model is about that alone as opposed to others like Apple and Amazon who at least make most of their money on selling hardware, software, etc). By the way after I did all this work to get off of google I am getting a lot less garbage via targeted ads in my social media accounts and via email (using outlook for that) so I do think it makes some difference and it's worth the pain of going through all this (at least for me). Having said all this I completely agree with you that someone else must be trucking us if weather and trafic updates are turned on by any application.
I definitely agree google is the worst. They are very intrusive. I too use duck duck go but unfortunately we'll never be able to be google free. All we can do is limit our exposure

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
..., I absolutely despise having to pay for map updates when maps on my phone get updated for free. I live in an area where new streets are added every month and my work takes me to new areas all the time....
I've heard other people say similar things on different threads.
I don't know where you all live, but I'm glad I'm not there. Sounds like too many people and too much congestion. That is definitely not an issue I have.

.... And nothing in the factory navigation is really "up to date" unless you live in a large metro area where nothing has changed for 3-5 years. ....
Or the opposite. I live in a rural area, and I never see new roads put in. No need to put random new roads through the woods, or a corn field.
The only difference I guess I'd probably see is if an intersection gets changed to a round-about. But if someone can't figure out to go around the circle instead of straight through without a navigator telling them to, maybe they shouldn't be driving.

Don't get me wrong. I do agree with everyone that map updates on factory installed nav should be free though. Even if I personally don't need frequent map updates, we paid for the navigator. That should include an up to date map, not just saying "well the old map still works." Charging extra every year for a map update is crap. That is some seriously poor customer service.
I didn't know EA was making our navigators. Next thing you know they'll give you the map for your state only and make each new state paid DLC.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard other people say similar things on different threads.
I don't know where you all live, but I'm glad I'm not there. Sounds like too many people and too much congestion. That is definitely not an issue I have.

Or the opposite. I live in a rural area, and I never see new roads put in. No need to put random new roads through the woods, or a corn field.
The only difference I guess I'd probably see is if an intersection gets changed to a round-about. But if someone can't figure out to go around the circle instead of straight through without a navigator telling them to, maybe they shouldn't be driving.

Don't get me wrong. I do agree with everyone that map updates on factory installed nav should be free though. Even if I personally don't need frequent map updates, we paid for the navigator. That should include an up to date map, not just saying "well the old map still works." Charging extra every year for a map update is crap. That is some seriously poor customer service.
I didn't know EA was making our navigators. Next thing you know they'll give you the map for your state only and make each new state paid DLC.
Other than phone apps like Google Maps, Waze, apple maps......, Which all sell your data and/or have ads, most navigation devices require you to purchase updates. Had an old Magellan GPS unit in 2009-2010 time frame that came loaded with maps, but if you wanted to update it, you had to pay for the updates. Same thing with Garmin and TomTom, or at least they used to be that way.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Other than phone apps like Google Maps, Waze, apple maps......, Which all sell your data and/or have ads, most navigation devices require you to purchase updates. Had an old Magellan GPS unit in 2009-2010 time frame that came loaded with maps, but if you wanted to update it, you had to pay for the updates. Same thing with Garmin and TomTom, or at least they used to be that way.

Agreed. I've had a couple of Garmin units. Most required fees for ma upgrades and traffic, but I paid the higher end units that came with lifetime traffic and map upgrades

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed. I've had a couple of Garmin units. Most required fees for ma upgrades and traffic, but I paid the higher end units that came with lifetime traffic and map upgrades
So you still paid for the map upgrades, it was just in the form of higher upfront cost

LakesAZ

Reaction score
Boy this conversation took a hard turn from the OP's request for what services on his Uconnect will expire after the free period. It became a "I hate Google" fest.

Users who are viewing this thread