5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are the services that will expire?

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So you still paid for the map upgrades, it was just in the form of higher upfront cost
Correct. I don't mind paying a little extra for it since it was a lifetime upgrade. It was about $100 more (but also included traffic). If I could get a lifetime of map upgrades for $100, I'd do that for my factory nav also without issue.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Correct. I don't mind paying a little extra for it since it was a lifetime upgrade. It was about $100 more (but also included traffic). If I could get a lifetime of map upgrades for $100, I'd do that for my factory nav also without issue.
Yeah, the price they charge is ridiculous.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’ve had Nav in a vehicle for over a decade now. In that time nothing has changed as far as roads are concerned in the areas I drive. Pay for map updates……no thanks. Ridiculous and should be free for as long as you own the vehicle especially since your already paying extra for the Nav package. Just another way to nickel and dime us to death.

tgram

Reaction score
I agree maps hardy ever change in most of the areas I've used as well so that would not be the reason to subscribe in my case. What is important to me however is to get traffic updates when using built in navigation instead of having to use google or apple apps for it. That is why I decided to subscribe (found that to work very nicely after it finally started working during trial period).

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I hate the factory Nav and think it was actually much better on my 4th Gen with the older Uconnect. Waze works well for me now and don’t need anything else.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Where I live, there are new neighborhoods going up all the time. There are three new ones within one mile of my house in just the last two years. Google actually has streets shown for them before they are even finished sometimes. My house was built in 2014, but my factory nav still shows me in the middle of a corn field(which is used to be).

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where I live, there are new neighborhoods going up all the time. There are three new ones within one mile of my house in just the last two years. Google actually has streets shown for them before they are even finished sometimes. My house was built in 2014, but my factory nav still shows me in the middle of a corn field(which is used to be).
Same here. The Phoenix area grows quickly. Luckily, the extra development keeps me busy. :)

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Boy this conversation took a hard turn from the OP's request for what services on his Uconnect will expire after the free period. It became a "I hate Google" fest.
There was only a brief "I hate Google" fest, then it went to the pros/cons of factory nav versus using your phone. Which is kind of in the theme of the thread, since the updates and traffic are one of the features that go away if you don't pay for them.

Besides, once the list of items that expire are listed, there's not much else to say. Either the thread dies, or it transitions to conversation to about something that came up along the way.

So you still paid for the map upgrades, it was just in the form of higher upfront cost
And my dash mounted Garmin unit was the same. I think mine was only $50 for lifetime map updates but $100 isn't out of line if it includes traffic too. Dodge could easily offer that as an option with the factory navigator, or just tack on the $100 to the navigator purchase and make it part of the package.
Instead they'd rather charge you $100 a year to update maps. No thanks, I'll just use the "old" map since roads around here rarely change.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There was only a brief "I hate Google" fest, then it went to the pros/cons of factory nav versus using your phone. Which is kind of in the theme of the thread, since the updates and traffic are one of the features that go away if you don't pay for them.

Besides, once the list of items that expire are listed, there's not much else to say. Either the thread dies, or it transitions to conversation to about something that came up along the way.

And my dash mounted Garmin unit was the same. I think mine was only $50 for lifetime map updates but $100 isn't out of line if it includes traffic too. Dodge could easily offer that as an option with the factory navigator, or just tack on the $100 to the navigator purchase and make it part of the package.
Instead they'd rather charge you $100 a year to update maps. No thanks, I'll just use the "old" map since roads around here rarely change.
It's Uconnect that is charging the fee, not Dodge/Ram. But, yes, I agree. There is no reason they can't offer a one time "lifetime" map upgrades fee. More people would pay for that, than a fee every 2-3 years.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes it's Uconnect, but it's in a Jeep/Dodge/Ram vehicle. It reflects on them.

Just like a crappy employee at the Pizza Planet can give that francize a bad name. A company is only as good as the parts/people they use/employ.

GoBuffs82

Reaction score
I let mine expire a few weeks ago as well on my 2022 Limited but will probably renew it after all. I really like the built in navigation (after traffic updates finally started working it was really nice and I did not see any disadvantages using it vs google or apple maps). I hate google enough where I'm willing to pay for them to not track me via navigation, and I also avoid google search on my computers as much as possible.
How do you get the Traffic updates to work? Several times during the trial period i am in a giant traffic jam and the navigation says nothing about it. went thought the menu and live traffic updates is toggled on. Ram failed to hook me during the trial period. I dont think i have used any of the functions they say i am going to lose in a week.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How do you get the Traffic updates to work? Several times during the trial period i am in a giant traffic jam and the navigation says nothing about it. went thought the menu and live traffic updates is toggled on. Ram failed to hook me during the trial period. I dont think i have used any of the functions they say i am going to lose in a week.
I use Google maps on Android auto for more real time traffic.

Ram8472

Reaction score
It's Uconnect that is charging the fee, not Dodge/Ram. But, yes, I agree. There is no reason they can't offer a one time "lifetime" map upgrades fee. More people would pay for that, than a fee every 2-3 years.

TomTom is providing 2022 Ucconect 5 map updates for free ! see Jimmie07's post with the url
Stellantis | Home he provided.

Thread

There are 9 files ( you need to scroll down to see them all ) , download to fat32 usb stick takes about 30 min to install and radio still works while you are doing the update.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is the website for the OP who has a 2022 to check their current services

The 10 year safety and security helps with insurance rates. I got a 20% deduction for showing proof I have it.
It's funny you mention the sos feature. I mistakenly hit the red button today while I was trying to turn on the passengers map light for my girlfriend and the voice came on and said "service is not available. If this is an emergency call 911". Apparently that 10 year thing isn't on my 2021 BTS lol
The 2022s have a newer UC5 and DON'T have the same subscriptions or setups as 2021 and older.
I absolutely despise having to pay for map updates when maps on my phone get updated for free. I live in an area where new streets are added every month and my work takes me to new areas all the time. The built-in NAV is useless then.
You own a 2022, good news, updates are free.
Don't get me wrong. I do agree with everyone that map updates on factory installed nav should be free though. Even if I personally don't need frequent map updates, we paid for the navigator. That should include an up to date map, not just saying "well the old map still works."
I didn't know EA was making our navigators. Next thing you know they'll give you the map for your state only and make each new state paid DLC.
OP has a 2022, he gets free map updates. You have a 2021 so are stuck buying them. I hear EA makes heated seats for BMW BMW starts selling heated seat subscriptions for $18 a month
If I could get a lifetime of map upgrades for $100, I'd do that for my factory nav also without issue.
Ill take my $100 via paypal.
Ram licenses out the uconnect software. They can easily provide lifetime anything to the customer if they wanted to.
But uconnect is owned by Ram, so yes, it IS Dodge\Ram charging you the money.
I believe Ram contracted Samsung to make the actual software but Stellantis owns the copyright for it.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
This is the website for the OP who has a 2022 to check their current services

The 10 year safety and security helps with insurance rates. I got a 20% deduction for showing proof I have it.

The 2022s have a newer UC5 and DON'T have the same subscriptions or setups as 2021 and older.

You own a 2022, good news, updates are free.

OP has a 2022, he gets free map updates. You have a 2021 so are stuck buying them. I hear EA makes heated seats for BMW BMW starts selling heated seat subscriptions for $18 a month

Ill take my $100 via paypal.

Ram licenses out the uconnect software. They can easily provide lifetime anything to the customer if they wanted to.
But uconnect is owned by Ram, so yes, it IS Dodge\Ram charging you the money.
I believe Ram contracted Samsung to make the actual software but Stellantis owns the copyright for it.
Ok

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
.....OP has a 2022, he gets free map updates. You have a 2021 so are stuck buying them. I hear EA makes heated seats for BMW BMW starts selling heated seat subscriptions for $18 a month.....
That's good that the '22 has free map updates. Apparently Dodge heard the complaints and did something about it. Good for them, that's the way it should be.
As for BMW, wow that's greedy. If it were me, I'd say screw their heated seat option, and install some Katzkin with heated option. Then you'd have custom colored/designed seats with unlimited use of the heat. What's next, they start billing for use of the air conditioner so they can make money off their customers in the summer too?

tgram

Reaction score

For me traffic updates (and weather) did not work at the beginning of trial period but after few softare updates (pushed over air that popped up for me to apply) it started working and looked very nice. Then after I let it expire (did not sign up right after trial was over) obviosuly it stopped working. But after I signed up for service it immediately started working again and has been working consistently without issues. I like it better that Apple or Google maps on this truck for sure. I think it looks better and its definitely better integrated with the rest of the software on the truck. For example, if I use Apple carplay (to use Google or Apple maps) I have a major issue every time where my route gets dropped every time I put the truck in reverse (so after I get out of garage and put it in drive I have to enter the same route again which is extremely annoying). I have not had this issue at all with built in navigation so given this plus the fact it looks great (traffic is very accurate and gas station prices as well - at least in Tampa FL where I live) it was an easy decision to subscribe.

KurtLaf

Reaction score
Unfortunately for me, the weather and traffic services only worked once since taking delivery at the end of Sept. I have a hard time subscribing for a service that isn't consistent. I've been using AA Waze & Google Maps for traffic.

BJSwizzle

Reaction score
Is there a way to see if your truck can have the remote start in the assistance package? I have a 23 Rebel. I don’t have remote start on the key fob.

Users who are viewing this thread