5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What an Amazing Truck!

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Nice truck, I agree with most of what you said though I don't feel the hemi is underpowered by any means.

The ram interior/dash is definitely nicer than the GM twins, but I don't get the hate that the twins get for it either. It's a simple, clean, and uncluttered interior. The materials used could be a little better and softer touch, but the upshot is theoretically it can take more abuse and hold up better than a RAM. It could also use a few more accents here and there, but I found it overall pleasant, and the interior differences is not why I chose RAM this time. The GM's are just too overpriced, quotes I had (when including manufacturer + dealer rebates) had upwards of $12,000 difference for "the same truck" that I bought. I paid thousands less for my very well equiped bighorn, than they quoted me for a GMC work truck with black bumpers and vinyl floors (this is in Southern Ontario, maybe it's different in other areas).

Can't speak for Ford as I never even entertained buying one.

Reaction score
Fully agree with everything you said. I feel the Ram is in a league of its own. I used to have a Cadillac EXT and it was a let down, was not near the quality I expected and was a glorified Chevrolet Avalanche. I was expecting a more premium design but it was basically the same components. I'm a tech guy so have to have Adaptive cruise and surround camera. The Adaptive in this is better than the 4 other cars I've had with it too. This is the first that at 50mph it can detect a stopped car at a light and slow down slowly instead of mashing the breaks and alerting you.

Really missed the Rambox like storage the Escalade EXT had too. Happy to have that back. The ONLY thing I think any other trucks have on our right now would be the GMC tailgate. Thinks it's a unique design and a worthwhile addition. I also don't have etorque and glad I don't. Have every other feature I could want though.

JustAnotherGuy

Reaction score
Someone else who's been fortunate to own and be around some nice rides! I'm a Viper coupe guy myself, but it's the Gen 5 prices that keep me away. So a Gen 5 Ram will have to suffice. I grew up with GM, have had dozens of them. In my 40's, I started catching the Mopar bug. So I guess I'm not that brand loyal either. If it makes me smile, that's enough for me.
That I have. I'm also a coupe guy, but I consider the targa conversion same as a coupe. I'm 6'5-6'6", 280ish, and am claustrophobic. In the Viper the top of the windshield is level with my mouth and I'm sandwiched in between the door and the transmission tunnel. Being able to pop the roof off and return the coupe looks would be game changing for me. Ideally I'd get an ACR-X and do the targa conversion, but prices on those are insane. Let alone all Gen V coupes. The other problem is the carbon brakes. BIG $$$$ when it comes time for a brake job.

The other option would be a custom sparco seat that mounts to the floor.

I think for now I'll stick to my company truck and continue to drool over the dream of targa ACR-X.

Last edited:

Carnut12

Reaction score
I’m thinking about the roll-n-lock, are you still loving it, any specific reason you chose it over the RetraxPRO? Nice Truck!!!

Evoking1230

Reaction score
Agreed!!!

Came from an Altima. First time owning a truck but they been in the family for a long time. Dad has a 2005.

Looking at The new Silverado, outside yes,inside no.

F150, outside meh. Inside was an afterthought and looked very cheap IMO. Still don’t see how that’s the best selling truck all these decades :rolleyes:

TITAN, didn’t want to buy a Platinum Reserve just to have a decent interior. Lower models same as F150.

Tundra, nope.

Even though I didn’t get a Limited, I absolutely love my RAM LoneStar Edition. I also didn’t get the 12” screen but thoroughly happy with the stock one! My interior is way nicer than the rest above and it’s not even leather.

Plus with the CAI and muffler delete, nothing beats the sound of a HEMI!

Also agree with needing a bit more power under the hood :LOL:

JustAnotherGuy

Reaction score
I’m thinking about the roll-n-lock, are you still loving it, any specific reason you chose it over the RetraxPRO? Nice Truck!!!

Yes I still love it! The Retrax never felt as solid as the Rollnlock. If I remember correctly, the rollnlock also used less bed space. The only problem I'm having with my Rollnlock is the same problem I had with it on my Silverado: When it's fully closed (watertight), it will come a small notch undone when driving around and leave about a 1/4" gap. This appears to be an install issue, so once I go in to get it adjusted I'll advise if the problem is fixed.

JustAnotherGuy

Reaction score
Agreed!!!

Came from an Altima. First time owning a truck but they been in the family for a long time. Dad has a 2005.

Looking at The new Silverado, outside yes,inside no.

F150, outside meh. Inside was an afterthought and looked very cheap IMO. Still don’t see how that’s the best selling truck all these decades :rolleyes:

TITAN, didn’t want to buy a Platinum Reserve just to have a decent interior. Lower models same as F150.

Tundra, nope.

Even though I didn’t get a Limited, I absolutely love my RAM LoneStar Edition. I also didn’t get the 12” screen but thoroughly happy with the stock one! My interior is way nicer than the rest above and it’s not even leather.

Plus with the CAI and muffler delete, nothing beats the sound of a HEMI!

Also agree with needing a bit more power under the hood :LOL:
Well put! I've been trying to tell people that all trims on the Ram beat the competitive. You don't have to get a Limited or Longhorn to get a great truck with an awesome interior.

Carnut12

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, I don’t see many reviews on the roll-n-lock like I do the Retrax. Does it make noise when driving? Also do you have to drill or self-tap screws into the tailgate, it appears from the instructions you have to put screws in the top of the tailgate? Last question have you owned it in the winter? I heard it can bind up.

Thank you again!!!

JustAnotherGuy

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, I don’t see many reviews on the roll-n-lock like I do the Retrax. Does it make noise when driving? Also do you have to drill or self-tap screws into the tailgate, it appears from the instructions you have to put screws in the top of the tailgate? Last question have you owned it in the winter? I heard it can bind up.

Thank you again!!!
I'll get some pictures for you later today.

1. It's very quiet and the build quality is great. It definitely looks more OEM than the last Retrax I had.
2. I'm not sure as I paid for the install, but from what I've seen there is no drilling in the tailgate whatsoever. Unless they left a part out
3. I live in Houston so winter isn't a real thing down here :)

JustAnotherGuy

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay. Holiday week-end hit and I was sidetracked. In one of the pictures you can see where it opens a little on its own and gaps. I'm planning on getting it adjusted this week.

30256 30257 30258 30259

Dave07

Reaction score
I’m in the same boat OP! Came from a 2015 Silverado. Just about everything is better than my Silverado, Ram really stepped it up with this truck.

I would have bought a Silverado again but price, crappy designed interior, and no adaptive cruise kept me away.

I do miss the bumper step but that’s about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustAnotherGuy

Reaction score
I’m in the same boat OP! Came from a 2015 Silverado. Just about everything is better than my Silverado, Ram really stepped it up with this truck.

I would have bought a Silverado again but price, crappy designed interior, and no adaptive cruise kept me away.

I do miss the bumper step but that’s about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I definitely miss the Bumper step!

Regarding the price, I'm not sure I understand. I've built a new Denal 1500 out with equal options to the ram. It already has 22s with the package it had, but I still added upgraded 22s. WIth all options to make it equal, even including the 6.2 liter engine upgrade, the MSRP is $69,140. And like any truck (minus the Raptor), I can always negotiate a minimum of $10k off if I check a few dealers. Now I don't believe Chevy offered the huge incentives that Ram did recently, but in general I find them priced the same. I'm curious because a lot of people have mentioned the price difference.

silver billet

Reaction score
I definitely miss the Bumper step!

Regarding the price, I'm not sure I understand. I've built a new Denal 1500 out with equal options to the ram. It already has 22s with the package it had, but I still added upgraded 22s. WIth all options to make it equal, even including the 6.2 liter engine upgrade, the MSRP is $69,140. And like any truck (minus the Raptor), I can always negotiate a minimum of $10k off if I check a few dealers. Now I don't believe Chevy offered the huge incentives that Ram did recently, but in general I find them priced the same. I'm curious because a lot of people have mentioned the price difference.

The MSRP is roughly on par between the two brands, but the incentives and deals are not. In my area, Ram was offering about $13,000 off the sticker, the Chevy dealer was going to give me something silly like $1500 off + 0% financing. This was back in April when I ordered my truck.

JustAnotherGuy

Reaction score
The MSRP is roughly on par between the two brands, but the incentives and deals are not. In my area, Ram was offering about $13,000 off the sticker, the Chevy dealer was going to give me something silly like $1500 off + 0% financing. This was back in April when I ordered my truck.

Interesting. Out of curiosity where do you live? I'm in Houston and $7-8k off is standard on any truck (minus Raptor) without even trying. I posted in the MSRP thread my general rule of thumb on trucks, but didn't feel like arguing with people so I stopped posting. Usually with a little pushing $10k minimum is obtainable on any truck down here. People like to talk about holdback etc. but in reality those are all just BS numbers the dealers leak so that the buyer feels like they're in control. None of us know how much profit the dealership really makes, not even the sales manager.

And $1500 is laughable. I'm wondering if Chevy has a lot of loyal followers where you live.

silver billet

Reaction score
Interesting. Out of curiosity where do you live? I'm in Houston and $7-8k off is standard on any truck (minus Raptor) without even trying. I posted in the MSRP thread my general rule of thumb on trucks, but didn't feel like arguing with people so I stopped posting. Usually with a little pushing $10k minimum is obtainable on any truck down here. People like to talk about holdback etc. but in reality those are all just BS numbers the dealers leak so that the buyer feels like they're in control. None of us know how much profit the dealership really makes, not even the sales manager.

And $1500 is laughable. I'm wondering if Chevy has a lot of loyal followers where you live.

I'm in Southern Ontario/Canada.

Dodgehemi0

Reaction score
I 100% agree what an amazing truck, but it should have 450-500hp and TQ to match. The power is not bad, but I came from a 2nd gen 3.5 Ecobeast so I can tell the difference in power for sure. The out side and inside destroy any vehicle on the market today I feel. Interior is stunning to say the least. I love my ram!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I 100% agree what an amazing truck, but it should have 450-500hp and TQ to match. The power is not bad, but I came from a 2nd gen 3.5 Ecobeast so I can tell the difference in power for sure. The out side and inside destroy any vehicle on the market today I feel. Interior is stunning to say the least. I love my ram!!!!
Easily solved for less than the price difference between trucks. Search for “whipple” ;)

JustAnotherGuy

Reaction score
Easily solved for less than the price difference between trucks. Search for “whipple” ;)

The thought has crossed my mind but this is my work truck, and I love having a completely stock truck with warranty. I've been around plenty of modded cars, I'm very familiar with warranty laws, and the hassle of modded cars isn't something I want to deal with. My wife has an Escalade and I've really been wanting to supercharge that, but haven't for the same reasons.

RAMpage

Reaction score
Nice post op! I feel the same. I test drove GM, Ford and Toyota before deciding on another RAM. GM looks great on the outside but looks dated and "cheap" on the inside. Ford looks great outside also and I do like some of their unique options (I like the Ecoboost) but man... that inside. Toyota (Tacoma in my case) is nice... but for a 2019 to have no CarPlay and come with drum brakes on the rear still for base model?? WTF.
Plus 25% off on the new 1500 was a no-brainer for me.
Had to hunt around to find one with no sunroof (I despise them) but got one finally. I find the engine just fine with the proper gearing (3.92 wakes it up I find). No where near quick as my SRT but wasn't expecting it to be.
Love those roll-n-lock tonneaus also but they don't work well in the winter up here. Once they get some snow/ice on them they are closed for the winter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/